Thread: Which 4 dmen would you pick (and goalie)??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Which 4 dmen would you pick (and goalie)??

Hi folks.

Thanks for all your help in the past.

I am looking for some opinions...

I am going to join an 1 year pool with the following scoring format:

Skaters
    goals = 2 pts
    assists = 1 pt

Goalies
    win = 2 pt
    shutout = 3 pt

I have to pick 4 dmen and 1 goalie.

My questions/concerns are:

DMEN - Who would be your top 4 with the above scoring?
    How healthy is Ryan Whitney? Most people would probably put Whitney, Gonchar, Kaberle and one of Lidstrom or McCabe in their top 4 but does anyone think Whitney\'s shoulder could cause problems this year? Sure he is probably one of the best young d for a keeper league and is hyped a lot on this site but for a one year pool, wouldn\'t be safer to pick a Mccabe or Phaneuf?

GOALIE - Which guy would you take (shutouts are an additional 3 points)?
    Most would take Luongo followed by Kipper and maybe Brodeur. Here are my thoughts..
    Luongo - Pros: gold, lots of opportunities for shutouts in the northwest playing edmonton 8 times and calgary / minnesota (2 defensive oriented clubs) 8 times. Cons: I am kinda freaked out over all the odd things happening to him in camp. I know its not logical but it\'s ominous.
    Kipper - Pros: plays in the northwest on a defensive team too, contract year, money goalie over the past few years. Cons: Keenan has a very short goalie chain, because of the contract year, there is a small chance that Calgary may keep his starts below 70 to help negotiations.
    Brodeur - Pros: Still has it and will get 40 wins on his own. Cons: Will face Pitts, NYR, and Philly 24 times this year. Thats a lot of fire power.
    Others...
    Fleury - Pros: Lots of wins. Cons: Hasnt established himself as a 60 game starter, injury prone somewhat over the season.
    Lundqvist - Pros: Lots of wins in NY Cons: Won\'t see 70 starts, faces the Pens 8 times.

A lot of info to digest but the short answer of who your top 4 dmen (goals X2) and your top goalie (shutouts +3) will be for the upcoming year...

Thanks.

Post edited by: Cartman, at: 2007/09/19 22:51

Post edited by: Cartman, at: 2007/09/19 22:52
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re:Which 4 dmen would you pick (and goalie)??

Well for D I don\'t struggle with my top 4 in points: Gonchar, Whitney, Kaberle and Lidstrom - after those I think there is a bit of a drop off - my dark horse is Visnovski - McCabe should be considered along with him maybe but I don\'t like him so don\'t usually pick him

Goaltending isn\'t so easy - I think the top 5 are as you suggest - but for this year I feel that Luongo and Kipper will rise a little above - primarily on the basis of more shutouts - a couple of others will win nearly as many. I will be honest and say my overwhelming gut instinct for this year is Kipper - but it likely is splitting hairs over Luongo. In a points league I am in - I am going hard for Kipper and Lundie but if I have an early pick I might take Luongo and see if I can trade him right away for Kipper and a little upgrade somewhere. In my roto league I am not so concerned about goalies early and hope Lundie falls to the 3rd round for me - but I can still get something decent if I miss him.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re:Which 4 dmen would you pick (and goalie)??

Here\'s my opinion

defense
    - Sergei Gonchar
    - Niklas Lidstrom
    - Lubomir Vishnovsky
    - The last spot for me is a toss up between Whitney, Kaberle and Pronger.

Goalie
    - For me it\'s Robert Luongo and then the rest. I\'m also a huge fan of Lundqvist and think he\'s due for a huge year.