Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Consultant? Emcee?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re:Consultant? MC?

Dobber wrote:
    As for bringing me in for the draft and being absurd...what if your pool had a $5000 entry fee? Would it be absurd to bring in myself for a couple hundred bucks just to consult on some picks? Just giving an example of a situation where that wouldn\'t be all that absurd...There are lots of different pool formats/types out there, for some it would be absurd, for others it would be great!
    if you can afford to play in a pool with a $5000 entry fee, you can afford to lose $5000 B)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dobber wrote:
    Price would depend on location, length of draft, etc, but 200-300 bucks I\'d say, so the guys in the league would throw in 20 each.

As for bringing me in for the draft and being absurd...what if your pool had a $5000 entry fee? Would it be absurd to bring in myself for a couple hundred bucks just to consult on some picks? Just giving an example of a situation where that wouldn\'t be all that absurd...There are lots of different pool formats/types out there, for some it would be absurd, for others it would be great!
    I see the rational from a money standpoint but I still don\'t feel like any self-respecting fantasy owner should bring in a secret weapon in the flesh to make their picks for them. Like I said in my original post, if I brought you to the draft with me it would represent me waving the white flag saying I am not good enough to win the league by myself. I would have no bragging right should I win and therefore the fun would be lost for me. If it was all about making money I would rather pay to have a financial planner in my backpocket. None of this is a shot at you Dobber btw. And like I said, the MC idea would be terrific if you only lived in Saskatoon. B)

Dobber Sports Ninja

MikeyDangles wrote:
    I see the rational from a money standpoint but I still don\'t feel like any self-respecting fantasy owner should bring in a secret weapon in the flesh to make their picks for them. Like I said in my original post, if I brought you to the draft with me it would represent me waving the white flag saying I am not good enough to win the league by myself. I would have no bragging right should I win and therefore the fun would be lost for me. If it was all about making money I would rather pay to have a financial planner in my backpocket. None of this is a shot at you Dobber btw. And like I said, the MC idea would be terrific if you only lived in Saskatoon. B)[/quote]

I\'m with ya there Dangles.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

NHL owners pay players to get results - if someone wants to pay Dobber to get draft results that\'s their schtick and far be it for me to get on my moral high horse about it. If someone wants to hire Dobber to consult - good for Dobber. He hasn\'t crossed any imaginery moral line in doing so, as far as I am concerned. Would I hire him to do this - nope, not a chance, because even in money leagues I think fantasy hockey is still primarily a social interaction and I would not want to risk tainting that interaction.

As far as Dobber MCing and perhaps doing a little postdraft analysis - I think it would be a blast. Might be a waste in my leagues as I think there are only two of us who know he exists. We are also spread out over half the world in most of my leagues.

Realistically, how many of these can he really do? The draft season is so short. Frankly, if I were Dobber, if that is something he wants to do, I would do it for expenses, simply as a marketing shot in the GTA - rubbing elbows with your customer base is never going to hurt in terms of getting a handle on how you can better serve them and make money out of them, either - perhaps the biggest hockey market in the world. But in the long wrong I personally think he would be much better off using that time to work \"on\" his business - that\'s what produces the pot at the end of the rainbow - working \"in\" your business is comfortable and fun most of the time and necessary, but it seldom creates the leaps you need to go big.

zzzzzz- anyone bored yet?

Dobber Sports Master

I live in timmins so your fee would be high for travel costs

for the gta it would be pretty cool though

dobber , pimpin himself out and burnsy in the peg

make sure you dress up like huggy bear from starsky and hutch

I kid , I kid

Dobber Sports Genius

dobber buddy you\'re starting to think too much like that bettman fella,lol!emceeing , ok , picking teams , not!like was said i\'ll stroke my own ego and pick my team , if it sucks , well so be it , at least i know i picked it.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

I...am your father.

Guys - you might scare away potential clients with this talk! I won\'t be picking players for him. If I did that, he doesn\'t need to go.

What will happen is - he will point to a guy or two and ask \"what do you think?\" I\'ll then give him the lowdown. It\'s really no different then when you post a question on the forum or send me an email (you guys do do that, yet still feel like you run your own team), except in this case the answer will be instantaneous and instead of one or two questions, there will be more like 20 or 30.

Given that perspective, you have to see the other side of this. Right?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

peekNpoke

For the emcee/honourary commisioner, I know most commisioners would love to have someone else run the draft so that they could focus on their own team.

Is $20/owner reasonable?
    I haven\'t got a clue. I am in two little pools and I know that would price me out. But are there that many big pools out there.

If you can to it Dobber, why not. More power to you.

Dobber Sports Genius

nah , sorry dobs , just dress up and call youself a penguin.i understand your argument but just can\'t agree with you on this one.skin your chin!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

just a quick question: what is your experience in this regard? just to have a ton of info on hockey, and the ability to tabulate, and speculate on stats (because i can\'t believe anyone will have watched all these players perform) with some measure of precision is not much for individuals that hold their hard-earned coin dear to trust in. i\'d suggest that you offer to (emcee, at least) do it for free a couple times; or perhaps for beer as payment . just to build some relatable experience. these drafts that you\'d emceed could then be summarized in a column and used as your selling point, to \"prove\" that you\'re worth it. also, if you haven\'t any emcee experience at all, you are completely welcome to come to my draft B) . i\'m a real pro at it :whistle: :P . 9/29 1900 hrs .5 hour north of barrie:S 20 bucks entry

Post edited by: chuckles, at: 2007/09/21 12:51
    DEFENCE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

I...am your father.

I agree with you chuckles...but I don\'t really want to emcee, so if someone wants to convince me to do it then they will have to pay me and takes their chances. I wont\' be doing it for a living, it is just another offer to put out there.
    Experience/schmexperience!

Smoothfun - you ask me questions all the time...I\'m still not seeing the difference between asking them live and asking them in a forum. I\'d be helping you run your team an equal amount!
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

hsssssss,feel the burn , good point but i choose how to use the advice i recieve here after carefully researching it .at a live draft you would be a strong influence for the client you represent.your choice dobber , i guess i just do\'nt like teams that are bought as much as teams that are made.