Thread: Need help with Yahoo\'s position eligibility

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Need help with Yahoo\'s position eligibility

This is a bit complicated so hopefully I can get my message across. I run a pool on Yahoo where every night each team dresses 2 centers, 4 wingers (left/right doesn\'t matter), etc.

Yahoo only has the ability to let the league either dress \'Forwards\' which means it doesn\'t distinguish between centers and wingers or else you can dress Centers along with Right wingers and Left wingers. Since our owners don\'t want to have to deal with left and right wingers we had to choose a system where we dress 6 forwards on the honor system that 2 will be centers and 4 will be wingers.

Our problem is that because of our choice of format (using \'Forwards\') there is no way of seeing which players on Yahoo have both C/W eligibility which robs some players of their valuable flexibility. If i try to check the individual players bio page on Yahoo they always have only their primary position recorded.

For example on my team page Marleau is listed as a F. If I click on his name his bio opens and now I can see that he is a Left Winger. I just happen to know that he is a case on Yahoo that has both winger and center eligibility but because only winger is listed I lose the ability to dress him as a Center. This sort of thing is happening league wide and until I find a way to see every players full eligibility it would be unfair to just grant dual eligibility to the few players that I happen to know about.

My question then is does anyone know a way around this on Yahoo? Is there a place where the full positional eligibilities of every player can be seen? As far as I can tell so far the only way is to be registered for a league that has both Centers, Right wingers and Left wingers but I can\'t do that now because registration is closed.

If anyone can help with this tricky situation my fellow owners and I would be very grateful. Thanks a lot and I promise karma for anyone that can solve this problem for me.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That does sound like a bit of a nuisance to have that information missing from your player pages. I\'m not certain if this is helpful in any way but it\'s worth a shot:

When you click the Players tab, does the Position tab still contain the main options (All Forwards/Defencemen, All Goaltenders, C, LW, RW and D) or is this disabled under your options?

If you are still able to select these tabs, perhaps -- while tedious -- you can view the positions via that route.

edit: It\'s too bad that the script isn\'t complex enough to handle a if/replace_find (note: these are not the actual commands -- I\'m ignorant in scripting and coding) system where the positions can still be shown but are \'converted\' behind-the-scenes for leagues such as yours.
    G 1.5/A 1.25/+- .75/S .15/PPP 1/SHP 2.5
    GS .75/W 1.75/L -1/SO 4/GA .75/SA .15

C: Malkin; Getzlaf; Toews; Backstrom; Carter; Turris*; Frolik*; Oshie*
    L: Parise; Vanek; Clowe; Hartnell; Semin
    R: Hemsky; Doan; Setoguchi; Sullivan; Ryder; Giroux*
    D: Phaneuf; Green; Boyle; Timonen; McCabe; Barker; Yandle; Shattenkirk*; Goligoski*
    G: Luongo; Nabokov; Brodeur; Bernier*

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Unfortunately under my players tab the positions are forwards, defensemen and goalies but i appreciate the suggestion.

Administrator

One suggestion, is to set up your own positions, Yahoo! is pretty screwy with their eligibility anyway so if you can bypass their system then thats great. I realize this puts the onus on you as commissioner to come up with some sort of system, and then you\'d have to deal with daily arguments why such and such a player deserves multi positional status but at least you get some control rather than following Yahoo!\'s arbitrary methods.

Another suggestion is to just give each player one position, rather then mess around with multi-positional play just lock everyone into one place and keep them there.

You could also scrap positions all together and just go with F/D/G but that would likely not be a good option midseason.

If that doesn\'t do it for you, then you could always ask someone you know in a LW/RW league to give you a list of multi position players. I\'d do it myself, but I don\'t feel properly motivated.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hahaha, thanks metaldude...that was both helpful and good for a laugh. I wouldn\'t expect you to have the motivation to make a list for me. You did however confirm in my mind that my only chance right now is to get the password to an account of someone in a RW/LW pool which is going to suck because i don\'t think anyone i know is in one.

I don\'t expect anyone to trust me with the password to their hockey pool where if i was secretly a jerk i could mess with their team...but if anyone out there has an account with an active RW/LW league that they have abandoned then i would be forever in your gratitude if you would let me use your password to see the positions. It\'s a long shot but hey, it\'s worth a shot at this point.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Not sure if this shows in ur pool but if you go to the Player tab, then NHL roster Changes and the Position Eligibility it shows them. But since I\'m in a pool that has C/R/W I\'m not sure if it will show that way for u.
    If not I\'ll make a list up for you. I was in a car wreck not long ago and can\'t work so i sadly have nothing better to do.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

commish wrote:
    Unfortunately under my players tab the positions are forwards, defensemen and goalies but i appreciate the suggestion.
    Bah, I figured that was too easy. :lol:

I wish there was a way to \"View All\" -- I\'d just take screen grabs for you.

Hopefully someone can help you out with their own inactive winger leagues (or TheBoodockSaint\'s suggestion, though that\'s a lot of work).

Good luck!
    G 1.5/A 1.25/+- .75/S .15/PPP 1/SHP 2.5
    GS .75/W 1.75/L -1/SO 4/GA .75/SA .15

C: Malkin; Getzlaf; Toews; Backstrom; Carter; Turris*; Frolik*; Oshie*
    L: Parise; Vanek; Clowe; Hartnell; Semin
    R: Hemsky; Doan; Setoguchi; Sullivan; Ryder; Giroux*
    D: Phaneuf; Green; Boyle; Timonen; McCabe; Barker; Yandle; Shattenkirk*; Goligoski*
    G: Luongo; Nabokov; Brodeur; Bernier*

Dobber Sports Prodigy

im sorry to hear that boondock i hope that everything is well on your end.

once again just to make things harder even the position eligibility tab under roster changes doesn\'t show me full positions. While it does say what has been added recently it does not show what the player was to begin with.

For example it shows that on Oct 25th Marleau had LW added but still just lists him as F. In this case I happen to know that it means that LW was added to C but there is no proof of that. Also this only shows the changes that have happened recently but would not help for a guy that has been a C/W for a long time (ie last year, etc).

as for making a list boondock, i greatly appreciate the offer but can\'t ask that of you. Thanks to all of you for trying though and hopefully i will find someone that has an account that i can use to check positions.

Dobber Sports Rookie

No worries man i\'m almost done with the list anyway.
    I can either post it up here or you can give me ur email and i can keep you posted on any new added eligibility in teh future as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

wow, i don\'t even know what to say. thank you so much for being so helpful, that\'s incredibly nice of you boondock.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Not a problem. I do what i can.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

the list got to me just fine and i wanted to say thanks one last time. now that i have the base list i should be able to keep up to date on the changes on my own.

i owe you one, so if you ever need a fantasy hockey favor you know where to ask. cheers.