Thread: Leland Irving

The Great One

Default Leland Irving

Whats his deal- I know hes behind Kipper and may take time to get a shot. Is he worth the wait?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re:Leland Irving

I think he\'s a pretty talented goalie, so yeah. He\'s worth the wait. You just might have to wait a while longer, that\'s all.

The difficult thing is, if Kipper never slows down, and if he sticks with the team for a low-ish amount of cash, you could have what I call the \"Brodeur Effect\", where goalie prospects never get a chance at the big time, and their development is stunted. I liked Ari Ahonen once....look how that panned out in Jersey. Be cautious with teams that hold franchise goalies. Usually, unless the prospects are traded, you have a long wait on your hands.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Padawan

I\'ve seen Irving a number of times when he played against the Giants as a Silvertip, and he\'s a hell of a regular season goalie. He played behind a defensive system, but then again until last year Calgary was a defensive team. The only knock i would put against him is that he hasnt shown the ability to come up big in the playoffs. 2 years he was playing well but got injured, which you cant really hold against him, but last year he didnt steal games for Everett when they needed him to come up big. Having said that, as a Flames fan I was happy with the pick and feel it gives the Flames a future in net after Kipper hopefully after at least another contract.

Post edited by: big_dl, at: 2007/09/16 12:14

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think he\'s good, BUT, watching TSN last week, they felt that of the three canadian goalies in the super series, irving was the odd man out and that in terms of starters for the wjhc, the picks are probably going to be mason and bernier...so because of this, I\'m leary of him...like bugg said, he hasn\'t done well in pressure situations...so after all of that, I think he\'s good, but I do think that rask, schneider, bernier, and price are better(in no particular order) are better so if you could get one of them, I\'d go for it.