Thread: 3rd overall pick

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default 3rd overall pick

I have the 3rd pick in my prospect draft. Our league is a 100% keeper league in a roto format using 7 categories (g,a,+/-,pim,ppp,shp,fw) for the skaters and 4 categories (w,gaa,sv%,so) for goalies. We start only 2 goalies vs 19 skaters.

I figure that Kane and Turris will be drafted 1 and 2... which leaves me a choice between alot of other good talent. Currently i\'m really leaning towards Harding.
    Who would you select? Would you take Kane or Turris ahead of Harding if they were available?

Available players (in my current ranking):
    Kane, Turris, Harding, Gagner, Bernier, Letang, Berglund, Esposito, Giroux, Hanzal, Hensick, Kostitsyn, Voracek, Cherepanov.
    Smokey, my friend, you are entering a world of pain.

16 team H2H keeper league (keep 7);
    g;a;p;+/-;pim;ppg;ppa;sog;w;gaa;sv%
    start 2C,2LW,2RW,2U,4D,2G;
    C: O Jokinen, Nylander, Krejci
    LW: OV, Huselius, Clowe, Higgins, Vermette
    RW: Hemsky, Selanne, Langenbrunner
    D: Boyle, Whitney, EJ, Jovo, Boucher, Letang
    G: Price, Lundqvist, Halak

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:3rd overall pick

I would take Bernier for sure. If I was you I would be hoping that Berglund is available for your next pick. Obviously Harding and Ganger will be gone by the time it gets back to you. Especially after the way Gagner played in the junior championship against Russia. Berglund won\'t play this year but he will be a calder candidate for sure next year. Also is Carey Price available?
    Points Only, H2H, #1
    C - Stamkos, Toews, Berglund, Bailey, Colborne
    LW - Neal, Burrows, J. Jokinen, MacArthur, Fleischmann
    RW - Gaborik, Kessel, Stafford, Hornqvist, Wheeler, Doan, Tedenby
    D - Doughty, Visnovsky, Whitney, Weber, Goligoski, Letang, Larsson
    G - Thomas, Rinne, S. Mason, Bernier, Rask

Points Only H2H, #2
    C - Thornton, Spezza, Koivu, Carter, Gomez
    LW - Ovechkin, Neal, Elias, S. Kostitsyn, Ennis
    RW - Kane, Hemsky, Hossa, Perry, Doan
    D - Weber, Boyle, Gonchar, Markov, Rundblad, Elliot
    G - Luongo, Bryzgalov, Elliot, Salak, Bernier

Della Madonna

Hello,

I would take gagner,

he had a very solid tournement i find he will have a greather value the bernier. The kid is all talent plus is desire to perform is huge. with a a weak EDM he could make as early as next season. He is well conditioned and he basically ad a NHL training since he was a boy. He is destined form greath thing, he as the poise and mature at young age, work ethics and on top of that hockey GENES. for me this counts for allot.

This is my opinion
    Thanks
    MDM

Della Madonna

Hello,

I would take gagner,

he had a very solid tournement i find he will have a greather value the bernier. The kid is all talent plus is desire to perform is huge. with a a weak EDM he could make as early as next season. He is well conditioned and he basically ad a NHL training since he was a boy. He is destined form greath thing, he as the poise and mature at young age, work ethics and on top of that hockey GENES. for me this counts for allot.

This is my opinion
    Thanks
    MDM

Della Madonna

Hello,

I would take gagner,

This is my opinion
    Thanks
    MDM

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Price is not available because i already own him.
    As for Bernier, all the reports say that he will be a top nhl goalie... however, i\'m not sold on his fantasy value (with respect to how he matches up to my league\'s categories). We count wins, gaa, and sv%... i agree that Bernier in LA will rack up the wins (like MA Fleury for the next many seasons). However, also like MA Fleury and the Penguins, the Kings will be an high offense team in the future... therefore the gaa (like Fleury\'s) will suffer. SV% will also suffer slightly as a result.
    By contrast, I look at Harding: the scouting reports don\'t rate him as high as Bernier, but he will be playing with Minnesota... arguably the best defensive team (as a whole) in the league. Thus, the gaa will be among the best (like Backstrom\'s last year). SV% will also benefit from this situation. Minnesota may not get as many wins as the soon to be dominant Kings team... however, they will always be a solid team with a lot of wins (despite being in the toughest division in the league).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Della Madonna wrote:
    Hello,

I would take gagner,

This is my opinion
    Thanks
    MDM
    Holy crap, is this the first TRIPLE post on dobberhockey?:blink:
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Are there any positional requirements?

If so, I might be inclined to take the future QB of the Pittsburg PP in LeTang... if not, i\'d lean towards Gagner. I would take him over Harding since you look to be stable in net... I\'d take a chance on a guy with a good hockey bloodline who\'s value is huge after the super series.

Maybe the best strategy would be to take Gagner while his value is somewhat inflated after his showing at the Super Series... and then trade him for one of the prospects ranked slightly lower and a later pick?
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Della Madonna

hello

sorry guys, its my pc at work lol,, i don\'t know what happend there.

MDM

Dobber Sports Ace

walter sobchak wrote:
    Price is not available because i already own him.
    As for Bernier, all the reports say that he will be a top nhl goalie... however, i\'m not sold on his fantasy value (with respect to how he matches up to my league\'s categories). We count wins, gaa, and sv%... i agree that Bernier in LA will rack up the wins (like MA Fleury for the next many seasons). However, also like MA Fleury and the Penguins, the Kings will be an high offense team in the future... therefore the gaa (like Fleury\'s) will suffer. SV% will also suffer slightly as a result.
    By contrast, I look at Harding: the scouting reports don\'t rate him as high as Bernier, but he will be playing with Minnesota... arguably the best defensive team (as a whole) in the league. Thus, the gaa will be among the best (like Backstrom\'s last year). SV% will also benefit from this situation. Minnesota may not get as many wins as the soon to be dominant Kings team... however, they will always be a solid team with a lot of wins (despite being in the toughest division in the league).
    What is your current goaltending situation? You mention here you already have Price. Assuming things go as predicted, Price takes over full time in Montreal next season. If you only play two goalies (and already have Price) I am likely looking to upgrade my 19 skaters unless I have total crap for goalies.

I think you did a good job of rating your prospects in the inital post. Berglund may slip a bit just because he is gonna be in Europe for another year. I really like him and would hope he slips to you in the 2nd round.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I have alot of studs up front: briere, spezza, datsyuk, staal brothers J & E, StLouis, Sedin D, Blake, Gionta.
    However, i DO have crap goalies and defense.
    My forwards should remain super solid for many more years. Price will help solidify my cage in the long term as well. Therefore I\'m now leaning towards Letang (and picking up Vlasic in UFA draft) in order to secure solid defence for the long term future.
    My other tender (of note) is Bryz. So i should consider Harding (or Bernier, but as i noted earlier: i prefer harding for our league).

Therefore, my decision is Letang or Harding. I\'m leaning fairly heavily towards Letang.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If you are worried about Berniers overall talent and maybe not having great averages than I would be going with Tukka rask if I was you. He has more talent than Bernier and is top 3 in the world for prospect goaltenders (Rask, Price, Bernier)He is another option anyways. He is also more talented than Harding as far as I am concerned.
    Points Only, H2H, #1
    C - Stamkos, Toews, Berglund, Bailey, Colborne
    LW - Neal, Burrows, J. Jokinen, MacArthur, Fleischmann
    RW - Gaborik, Kessel, Stafford, Hornqvist, Wheeler, Doan, Tedenby
    D - Doughty, Visnovsky, Whitney, Weber, Goligoski, Letang, Larsson
    G - Thomas, Rinne, S. Mason, Bernier, Rask

Points Only H2H, #2
    C - Thornton, Spezza, Koivu, Carter, Gomez
    LW - Ovechkin, Neal, Elias, S. Kostitsyn, Ennis
    RW - Kane, Hemsky, Hossa, Perry, Doan
    D - Weber, Boyle, Gonchar, Markov, Rundblad, Elliot
    G - Luongo, Bryzgalov, Elliot, Salak, Bernier