Thread: Josh Harding vs Mike Smith

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Josh Harding vs Mike Smith

I\'m just looking at picking up a 4th goalie in my Yahoo league, (behind Lundqvist, Budaj, and Toskala).

I feel like Harding will probably put up better numbers, but it seems like Smith will probably play more (barring injuries, of course).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:Josh Harding vs Mike Smith

hey alex -- what\'s your goalie categories?

edit: But I do think there\'s a good chance of Harding getting a lot of starts in the upcoming season -- probably even more than Smith. My vote would be go to for Harding out of those two.

Post edited by: raffi, at: 2007/09/02 15:22

Dobber Sports Stud

Hello Alex and Raffi:

I like both of these guys.

I would take Harding before Smith though. I consider that Harding is likely closer to being a full time starter, behind Backstrom, than Smith is, behind Turco.

My thoughts.

Dobber Sports Genius

objectively harding should play more but should turco flounder smith has the ability to steal the #1 spot,might be a good gamble , but it would be a gamble.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

The King of Diatribes

I discussed a little about how both Harding and Smith are in very similar situations - and are similar in their promise as amazing young goalies.

I would take Mike Smith over Josh Harding because Marty Turco is more prone to an injury and streaky play than Backstrom is. Although Backstrom has not played more than a 51-game season, he is solid to the core.

So Smith has more of an opportunity to come in relief of Turco and play a string of games during the season, whereas Harding will be forced to take advantage of the most of his opportunities. It\'s going to be very interesting to watch both goalies, as much of what they do depends on the starter in front of them. Both will take full advantage of their opportunity when it comes - but who will get the first crack at it?

Honestly you can\'t really go wrong with either one.

Dobber Sports Genius

buddy you\'re good , welcome to hockey heaven your advice is going to come in handy.i hope you\'re wrong about turco as i have him in my pool but must admit i\'ve been trying to shop him.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

The King of Diatribes

Thank you for the compliment. Since the moment I hit this site earlier in the summer I was DYING to get involved. I noticed no goaltending column and that\'s honestly the ONLY area I know really well. But if I told you who my favorite NHL goaltender is, you\'d probably laugh at me ... and not stop laughing until the season was over No, it\'s NOT Roman Chechmanek.

There\'s a real good reason to shop Turco...but I\'ll put that in a new post so it\'s \"topic friendly.\"

Dobber Sports Genius

i understand the turco fear, so who\'s the best goalie in your opinion?p.s. have commented in the \"turks\" thread.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry, it\'s a Yahoo public league, so the categories are W, GAA, Sv%, and shutouts.