Thread: Trevor Cann - Col

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Trevor Cann - Col

Opinions on this kid? I\'ve read teh report and what some other site\'s say about him but i\'d like some more feedback.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re:Trevor Cann - Col

No opinions? I\'ve got a deal hanging on him and i was hoping someone out there would know more than the little i do?
    Pool A
    Cap 80,375,000

Pool B
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad

Dobber Sports Initiate

leaftodd wrote:
    No opinions? I\'ve got a deal hanging on him and i was hoping someone out there would know more than the little i do?
    How can a deal hang on a prospect like this? Just curious...
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thats easy. I have a deal with him in it on the table. I know next to nothing about him as i\'ve inherited the team. Before i give away something i know nothing about i would rather ask and find out so i can make an educated descision. Maybe you wouldnt do so. But thats the way i work. And after all this is the prospects section. Isnt this where i should be asking advice about a prospect?
    Pool A
    Cap 80,375,000

Pool B
    Cap 80,375,000

Dobber Sports Pro

Position: Goaltender Catches: Left
    Height: 5\' 11\" Weight: 199
    Born: Mar 30 \'89
    Born in: Oakville, ON, Canada
    Drafted: Colorado\'s 2nd round choice, 49th overall, in 2007

2005-06: Posted 16 victories in 20 games during his first season with the Peterborough Petes...Recorded a 23-save shutout for Team OHL at the Canada-Russia Challenge in 2006...Backstopped Canada with a 0.67 goals-against average and a .967 save percentage, including a shutout in the gold-medal game against Team USA, at the 2006 Under-18 Junior World Cup.

from avalanche.nhl.com

I do not think he had a great year last year but I would check forums for the teams he played for and see what the people who have seen him play have to say.

Judging young goalies is a real talent, thankfully my draft does not get this deep.

Post edited by: Chuk, at: 2007/09/02 19:59

Dobber Sports Initiate

leaftodd wrote:
    Thats easy. I have a deal with him in it on the table. I know next to nothing about him as i\'ve inherited the team. Before i give away something i know nothing about i would rather ask and find out so i can make an educated descision. Maybe you wouldnt do so. But thats the way i work. And after all this is the prospects section. Isnt this where i should be asking advice about a prospect?
    don\'t know why you\'d take a shot at me out of nowhere, I merely asked how a deal could depend on information on the guy before I gave my input... you\'ve inherited the team so you don\'t know who he is... that\'s fine, no need to make holier than though personal comments when you know nothing about what I would or wouldn\'t do...
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Padawan

pudge wrote:
    leaftodd wrote:
    How can a deal hang on a prospect like this? Just curious...
    I\'m sorry if this wasnt meant to trivialize my question but to me it sure looked like it was. You didnt ask how this prospect could be holding up a trade. You asked how a \"prospect like this\" could. Sorry. But that\'s a derogitory statement in my mind. Anyway if it wasnt meant so then i apologize. But thats how i read it. I generally dont take shots at people unless i feel i was attacked first. And i did. So i returned it.
    Pool A
    Cap 80,375,000

Pool B
    Cap 80,375,000

Dobber Sports Genius

easy fellas , have a keiths and relax.this is the prospects section and the proper place to ask said question,and the response was fine just to the point , no penalties , even strength... lets get er done,lol.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Stud

This is from the Flyers\' scouting staff before the draft:

This Oakville, Ontario native is one of, if not the top goalie entering this year\'s draft. He is listed second among North American goaltenders behind only Plymouth’s Jeremy Smith. Cann plays a butterfly style, displaying quickness and solid lateral movement. He is tough to beat on initial shots and his strengths include a good glove hand.

Cann was the youngest goalie selected to attend Canada\'s National Junior Team selection camp in 2006 and recorded a shutout with 23 saves for Team OHL at the Canada-Russia Challenge in 2006. He also backstopped Canada to a Junior World Cup title with the under-18 team in 2006 with a 0.67 goals-against average and a .967 save percentage. He posted a 3-0 shutout of the United States team in the Gold Medal Game. Also in 2006, he helped Peterborough to the J. Ross Robertson Cup as OHL Champions.

Cann was named to the Eastern Conference Team for the OHL All-Star Classic in 2007.

- (Director of Hockey Operations) Chris Pryor:
    \"Trevor Cann had a good year. There aren’t many goalies in the draft this year, so he’s probably going to be in the lower half of the first round. He’s not an overly big goalie, but he’s still solid.\"
    Also, back in January HF did a comparison of Cann and Jeremy Smith:

8a. Jeremy Smith, G, Plymouth Whalers

8b. Trevor Cann, G, Peterborough Petes – Between Smith and Cann there is very little to choose from. They are roughly the same height, although Cann has a substantial weight advantage over the lanky Smith. In addition Cann is probably the bigger name, having been a last-minute addition to Team Canada’s WJC selection camp when it looked like London’s Steve Mason might not be able to overcome his injuries.

Cann has been dynamite this season, posting at 19-18-3 record in a whopping 42 games. He’s been peppered with shots, but has posted a respectable 3.49 GAA behind a stellar .913 save percentage.

Conversely, Smith hasn’t seen the same amount of rubber. Sharing duties with Washington Capitals’ draft pick Michal Neuvirth, Smith has only appeared in 22 games. However, the one thing that’s truly stood out in Smith’s favor is that although he’s paired with an NHL-drafted goaltender, the club loses nothing when Smith is inserted between the pipes. Their overall statistics and performance has been nearly identical, which bodes well comparison-wise.

Smith has posted an excellent 2.43 GAA and a 13-5-1 record, along with a .925 save percentage. While these numbers seem to sway the argument in Smith’s favor, one must understand that while Smith’s Whalers are fighting for the overall OHL crown, Cann’s Petes are just treading water. With the trade of marquee Petes like Steve Downie (PHI) and Daniel Ryder (CAL) – appropriately in this case to Plymouth – it will be up to Cann to ensure the club stays competitive, which is a pressure Smith doesn’t have.

With only a couple of inches, but miles of rubber between them the choice isn’t yet clear.
    And from Mark Seidel of ESPN:

Trevor Cann (Peterborough Petes, OHL)
    Trevor Cann has had an exceptional start to his career and became the final goaltender cut by the powerful Canadian World Junior team as a 17 year old. He is very adept at cutting down angles and has a thorough understanding of how to play the position while being very strong mentally.
    NHL comparable: Marty Turco, Dallas Stars
    I\'ve never seen the kid play - or if so, I don\'t recall - so I\'ll let you draw your own conclusions from this information. Hopefully it\'ll shed some light on your dilemma.

Oh, and as an aside... one thing I\'ve noticed about this forum is the comparitive lack of acrimony between posters (compared to other sports forums, that is). Sure we rag on each other from time to time (see: me and alice or notch and dobber or burnsy), but it\'s almost always in good fun. I think that if you make it your default assumption that posts are meant to be helpful, even when the wording might allow for other interpretations, you\'ll generally be right.

Just my two cents.

T.G.

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/09/03 11:48
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yup you are probably right. I most likely took the worst i could have from his post without it being meant. Sorta been a long weekend for me. I just built a 30 pc network out of pentium 1\'s and 2\'s at my wife public school for free since the board is way underfunded. I\'m a little tired and i suppose a little short tempered. Sorry about that.
    Pool A
    Cap 80,375,000

Pool B
    Cap 80,375,000

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

T.G.
    Nice work and well said.You hit the nail on the head for sure.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

Dobber Sports Genius

understood , school boards do\'nt have enough funds for toilet paper anymore,lol,i\'m sure your efforts will be greatly appreciated.gota love the help here as well , some nice goalie prospects to keep an eye on .
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack