Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do the Kings buyout PLD?

Administrator

Default Re: Do the Kings buyout PLD?

Last year a 4-game sweep would have covered 8 days. A 7-game series would have covered 17 days. The NHL likes to skip an extra day sometimes in the SCF for a preferred prime time slot. There was also a scheduling conflict for a game last year with the Miami Heat.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Last year:
    2nd round started on Tuesday, May 2nd.
    Stanley Cup finished on Tuesday, June 13th.

This year:
    2nd round starting this year on May 5th.
    ............................................... Finish?

Is there already a full schedule layout?
    Somebody in this thread suggested some date for the final.
    I thought the NHL shuffled schedule up if teams finished earlier.
    (Every team has reserved venue dates... and that is the sticking point sometimes.)

ex. NYR-CAR starts Sunday, same day as other first round matches may have their gm7.

From memory, NHL won't make two forthcoming opponents wait 5+ days if both closed out their series quickly (4/5 gp).

If this year follows last year, I'd say we are looking June 16-June 20 finish for a 5/6 game CUP series.

Dobber Sports Master

probably not a buy out but I'd imagine there could be interest from other teams if LA takes back a contract with a bit of term / cap hit that they can absorb for a few years .

for example , Anders Lee - 2 more years of 7 mil or JG Pageau 2 more years at 5 mil

Dobber Sports Initiate

It's a possibility he's traded and promptly bought out too, after the SC-finals, isn't it? Not sure how it would work out if LA retained part of the cap-hit, but if possible - halving the cap-hit over the 14 years must feel more palatable for LA, R Blake and the fans.

Possible or no? Part of a Bobrovsky deal.. yes?

Dobber Sports Deity

LA didn't have goalie issues this past year and they had something like $2.8M invested against the cap in their two goalies, both on 1 yr deals. I don't see them investing in Bobrovsky but who knows.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Pengwin7 made a good case for a Bob trade in the Vezina thread. Could happen but as always - trade predictions rarely come true. It just fitted a trade-buyout scenario.
    (Not sure, and this isn't the thread to discuss it perhaps, but Bobrovsky has a current NMC, which according to Capfriendly becomes a "M-NTC, NMC" by July 1st. I can only assume that the M-NTC overrides the NMC, which would make this imagined PLD-Bobrovsky trade tough to pull off, unless the NMC was waived.)

Anyway. If it's possible and there aren't any restrictions regarding the buyout, in my mind Rob Blake would be able to save face to a great degree if he got another team to do the buyout via trade.

Dobber Sports Titan

Blake came out and said they aren't going to buy him out this season.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I heard that yesterday but I also remember when Marc Bergevin said the Habs weren't trading PK Subban too. I don't always believe what GMs say to the media until the time comes and goes. Still lots of time between now and then for the winds to change direction. We don't even know if Rob Blake will be the GM by that time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I heard that yesterday but I also remember when Marc Bergevin said the Habs weren't trading PK Subban too. I don't always believe what GMs say to the media until the time comes and goes. Still lots of time between now and then for the winds to change direction. We don't even know if Rob Blake will be the GM by that time.
    Ya, he could say after he buys him out 48hrs after the cup "It's the next season" because he did specifically say "We aren't buying him out this season"

Administrator

Ya, he could say after he buys him out 48hrs after the cup "It's the next season" because he did specifically say "We aren't buying him out this season"
    "This" season's buyout window closed in the summer of 2023. Cute thought though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    "This" season's buyout window closed in the summer of 2023. Cute thought though.
    Yeah....so he can't be bought out "this season" then right?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Friedman reported Blake as saying they "have no plans" to buy out PLD. Which is IMO even more nebulous than saying they aren't going to this season.

They have no plans to at this exact moment because at this exact moment they cant, and don't know if they will ultimately be able to. Saying anything other than no would lead to over a month of wild speculation. They won't buy him out of it's a 2/3 buyout. They are unlikely to but might buy him out if it's 1/3. So for now they can say they have plans no plans to until they know if the palatable option is actually an option.

Dobber Sports Novice

14 years of buyout penalty - there's no chance they're taking that; retained salary transaction would see some value back and is where to look.

PLD isn't worth $8.5 at his ~2/3rds point per game production; to retain $2.5 over 7 years (or structure however else - which they'd control) and make him a $6m player...
    I think there are teams who would offer value to LA for that.

My chief go to for a buyout would be Pittsburgh - because Crosby (37 next year) and Malkin (38 next year) can't eat the minutes at center like a 26 year old could.
    DuBois might not be a replacement for either guy (who is?) but an adequate minute eater with the prospect of playing "L1" on 5v5 play - no one would consider it that with Crosby as "L3" center - but have the minutes reflect it and what are they?
    You don't have to force him there, but DuBois as the 1b behind Crosby and with the veteran wings Pittsburgh has, it makes transitioning DuBois into a L1 or L2 center in the near future a good transition for PIT who has NO ONE ELSE that can fill that role right now.
    What could PIT send? Marcus Petterson is a hot commodity, but so are some of the younger wings... O'Connor, Bemstrom (top p/g production in AHL), Puustinen... there's attractive parts that could work.

Otherwise, Anaheim has a center problem named Trevor Zegras - who has had trade rumors fly; but like CGY didn't have their guys locked up: PLD is bound to 7 years.
    Speaking of CGY: They just lost Elias Lindholm and have room for a L2 Center - to move Backlund back to L3 where he should play to keep minutes down - and want bodies that are signed for long term.
    Seattle is another interesting option - one that seems to reject paying someone $8m - so a RS transaction would make their young (see failure to launch) Wright & Beniers have someone a few years in front of them to ease their grow up periods (and is an easy upgrade to Yanni Gourde).

Retained Salary trade is the way to go - because right now, if you don't believe in him, the amount they'd need to hold is lower because the buyout is lower. They can always hold more to try and get more value back.
    TKL - Tiered Keeper League - 2/4, 4/6, 5/rest + 1 GK - 4c, 4r, 4l, 6d, 2gk, 5bn

JTMiller, Aho, Ek, Kopitar
    Rantanen, Barzal, Palmieri, Bratt
    Forsberg, Hagel, Stutzle, Joshua
    Fox, Weegar, Doughty, Forsling, Rielly, McCabe
    Manson, Pinto, Frost, Hertl, Henrique
    Oetter, Grubauer