Poll: Norris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Norris Finalists Announced

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Norris Finalists Announced

I hate this trophy because they have got away from what it's supposed to be given out for and have simply made it about offense. It doesn't really follow the trophy description when you read what it's mean to be awarded for.

The NHL states: The James Norris Memorial Trophy is presented annually to the defenseman who demonstrates the greatest all-around ability in his position.

All three finalists are the best in the game when it comes to offense, on that no one can argue, but two of the three finalists averaged less than 36 seconds on the PK for their respective teams. If you have "all-around" ability, you should be doing it all for your team, both offensively AND defensively. I dont see that in Hughes and Josi.

If the NHL wants to give out a trophy for the best offensive Dman in the league, then make that a trophy. Giddy up! Call it the Bobby Orr trophy, I don't care, but don't keep giving away a trophy that is meant to be for the best all-around Dman to offensive players who don't contribute as much when it comes to helping their team on the defensive side of the rink too.

Cale Makar, by description of the trophy, should be the winner because he does it all for his team. He's a clear offensive leader but also leader when it comes on the PK side of the house as far as TOI is concerned.

Other Dmen who fit the criteria laid out in the description better would be Victor Hedman and Charlie McAvoy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I went with Josi. When it comes to pure offense, Hughes may be better, but Josi is doing it all on the defensive end too while his offense is still elite.
    Since when was this trophy based on actual defense? Come on bro, get with the times...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I hate this trophy because they have got away from what it's supposed to be given out for and have simply made it about offense. It doesn't really follow the trophy description when you read what it's mean to be awarded for.

The NHL states: The James Norris Memorial Trophy is presented annually to the defenseman who demonstrates the greatest all-around ability in his position.

All three finalists are the best in the game when it comes to offense, on that no one can argue, but two of the three finalists averaged less than 36 seconds on the PK for their respective teams. If you have "all-around" ability, you should be doing it all for your team, both offensively AND defensively. I dont see that in Hughes and Josi.

If the NHL wants to give out a trophy for the best offensive Dman in the league, then make that a trophy. Giddy up! Call it the Bobby Orr trophy, I don't care, but don't keep giving away a trophy that is meant to be for the best all-around Dman to offensive players who don't contribute as much when it comes to helping their team on the defensive side of the rink too.

Cale Makar, by description of the trophy, should be the winner because he does it all for his team. He's a clear offensive leader but also leader when it comes on the PK side of the house as far as TOI is concerned.

Other Dmen who fit the criteria laid out in the description better would be Victor Hedman and Charlie McAvoy.
    There was definitely a shift that occurred when the Norris seemed to start to factor offense into the equation a lot more. Probably when Karlsson and Subban won it back to back a little over a decade ago. But other trophies have gone that direction too - would Michael Peca, Kris Draper, John Madden, or Jere Lehtinen have a shot in hell at winning the Sekle in this day and age? No, but those were your winners in a span of four out of five seasons back in the early 2000s. Even the Lady Byng has become a way to give someone a trophy who's a great player that also happened to not amass a lot of PIM. I mean Nathan MacKinnon won it in 2019-20!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

AM34 will probably be the perennial Selke contender going forward.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    NHL.com awarded this to Quinn Hughes in November. “It’s his year, blah blah.” Yes, he had a good year and didn’t get injured, but Josi honestly has the more complete game.
    I agree... but the voters don't care about complete games!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​