Thread: Frost v Sillinger

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Frost v Sillinger

H2H points league - G, A, SHP, PPP, GWG, HT, SOG, hits, blocks, PIM, plus minus, FOW

Gonna need to drop one of Frost or Sillinger - who do you like best? Looking at combo of immediate production and upside.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Frost v Sillinger

I think both immediate and upside I’m going Frost here. Only downfall with frost is he isn’t quite tortorella’s type of player but the skill is there and I haven’t liked what I’ve seen from sillinger at this point.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    I think both immediate and upside I’m going Frost here. Only downfall with frost is he isn’t quite tortorella’s type of player but the skill is there and I haven’t liked what I’ve seen from sillinger at this point.
    would not worry about that..JT may not even be back next season…if he is, I’m pretty sure it will be his last
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports All-Star

Going with the chilly guy here.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've been following Frost since OHL.
    He's a really smart player - and he's starting to try out some moves too.
    I think he has 70pt upside.
    One of my favourite annual publications is the OHL coaches' awards poll.
    https://chl.ca/ohl/2018-19-ohl-coaches-poll-winners/

Typically the coaches' picks for 'Best Playmaker' and/or 'Smartest'... usually they have been panning out nicely in NHL.
    Some come faster than others... Frost was a bit slower - but I think his game is there.

I can't say I have a solid take yet on Cole Sillinger - USHL is a very hit & miss league.
    It's super, super rare for a player to come out of the USHL and go straight to NHL.
    Sillinger is the only guy I can think of to do it - off top of my head.

I think he'll be a solid player - but I can't say he has the 'playmaking' upside of Frost.
    I think it's possible he'll be a better all-around center... but for fantasy hockey, I like what Frost is showing.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm also thinking Frost is the right answer here. We may all be wrong, more on that later. I feel that Frost has survived the "Torts Torture Chamber" and next year should be a significant step forward. He's been dealt the tough love and has come out a better player. Torts or no, I think he's OK, I like his progress. I also like his situation; he is the logical 2 C in Philly IMO. There is every chance that he could challenge Couturier for 1C, but we'll see what happens there. I like him for 70 pts on a consistent basis if the stars align and I don't see why they won't, and he could flirt with 60 points this year and fully hit his prime the following year.

Which brings us to Sillinger. P7 has touched on this, and I think it actually needs to be amplified somewhat, Sillinger came out of the USHL directly into the NHL and he has now played 3 full seasons. A guy coming out of the USHL and immediately establishing an NHL career is pretty much unheard of, in fact, 18-year-olds playing a full season after their draft year regardless of where they played is not at all common. Yet, at the age of 20 Sillinger has played just 9 games less than Frost who is 24. Hello! I honestly don't know what to make of this young man. All I will say is that it wouldn't surprise me if Sillinger has as good as or better NHL career than Frost he is an intriguing fantasy prospect.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Frost for me as well
    20 Team Dynasty - Categories (Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 7 D, 2 SKT, 2 Goalies)

Skater Categories - G, A, PTS, Pim, PPG, PPP, SHP, GWG, HT, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW

Goalie Categories - W, GA, GAA, SVS, SV %, SO

C- McDavid, Pettersson, Eichel, Aho, T Thompson, D Strome, R Strome
    LW- Kaprizov, Roberston, Connor, Guentzel, Byfield, Peterka
    RW- Pastrnak, M Tkachuk, Marner, Hyman, Boldy, Lafreniere
    D- Chychrun, Ferraro, McCabe, Seeler, Middleton, Pietrangelo, Gudbranson, Clifton, Dillon, Murphy, Brodin, Graves, Pelech
    G
    - Sorokin, Askarov, Nedeljkovic

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I'm also thinking Frost is the right answer here. We may all be wrong, more on that later. I feel that Frost has survived the "Torts Torture Chamber" and next year should be a significant step forward. He's been dealt the tough love and has come out a better player. Torts or no, I think he's OK, I like his progress. I also like his situation; he is the logical 2 C in Philly IMO. There is every chance that he could challenge Couturier for 1C, but we'll see what happens there. I like him for 70 pts on a consistent basis if the stars align and I don't see why they won't, and he could flirt with 60 points this year and fully hit his prime the following year.

Which brings us to Sillinger. P7 has touched on this, and I think it actually needs to be amplified somewhat, Sillinger came out of the USHL directly into the NHL and he has now played 3 full seasons. A guy coming out of the USHL and immediately establishing an NHL career is pretty much unheard of, in fact, 18-year-olds playing a full season after their draft year regardless of where they played is not at all common. Yet, at the age of 20 Sillinger has played just 9 games less than Frost who is 24. Hello! I honestly don't know what to make of this young man. All I will say is that it wouldn't surprise me if Sillinger has as good as or better NHL career than Frost he is an intriguing fantasy prospect.
    It’s easy to forget how young he is. He is approaching his theoretical breakout threshold, though it could be pushed back given his age. I won’t disagree that it’s impressive what he’s done for his age but he hasn’t shown much progression which is troubling. I’m certainly not ruling Sillinger out of have a good NHL career, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for elite numbers. Having said that, he could be a good buy low candidate!

Dobber Sports Superstar

It’s easy to forget how young he is. He is approaching his theoretical breakout threshold, though it could be pushed back given his age. I won’t disagree that it’s impressive what he’s done for his age but he hasn’t shown much progression which is troubling. I’m certainly not ruling Sillinger out of have a good NHL career, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for elite numbers. Having said that, he could be a good buy low candidate!
    I think it's fair to say that Sillinger is somewhat unique. As I said, stepping int other NHL full time as an 18-year-old is territory that is almost exclusively reserved for the McDavid's and Bedard's of the world ... or not in this case. I don't think Sillinger will be elite, but that depends on how you define elite. I think, as I already said, that he could well be as good or better than Frost down the road and that's 70 + pt territory as I define it. Not elite, but not too shabby either. The thing is, as an 18-year-old Sillinger played on a club that ended up finishing 3rd last in the metropolitan division. For the last two years, they've been dead last. Is it any wonder that Sillinger's progress has not been what we might have expected. Not the best of environments for a teenager. An 18 - 20 year old cannot carry a dumpster fire team on his shoulders, not Sillinger, not Bedard. All this said, with the draft picks and young talent that the Blue Jackets have, there is some cause for optimism that the team improves. If it does, Sillinger should also improve, the question is what role Sillinger will play in the immediate future. All I really know is it should be fun to watch and see where this guy is when in three years, he hits the ripe old age of 23 and will be a 6-year NHL veteran. Again, somewhat unique.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I think it's fair to say that Sillinger is somewhat unique. As I said, stepping int other NHL full time as an 18-year-old is territory that is almost exclusively reserved for the McDavid's and Bedard's of the world ... or not in this case. I don't think Sillinger will be elite, but that depends on how you define elite. I think, as I already said, that he could well be as good or better than Frost down the road and that's 70 + pt territory as I define it. Not elite, but not too shabby either. The thing is, as an 18-year-old Sillinger played on a club that ended up finishing 3rd last in the metropolitan division. For the last two years, they've been dead last. Is it any wonder that Sillinger's progress has not been what we might have expected. Not the best of environments for a teenager. An 18 - 20 year old cannot carry a dumpster fire team on his shoulders, not Sillinger, not Bedard. All this said, with the draft picks and young talent that the Blue Jackets have, there is some cause for optimism that the team improves. If it does, Sillinger should also improve, the question is what role Sillinger will play in the immediate future. All I really know is it should be fun to watch and see where this guy is when in three years, he hits the ripe old age of 23 and will be a 6-year NHL veteran. Again, somewhat unique.
    All very good points, Bubba. That’s crazy to think. He actually, as far as NHL career goes, reminds me of Nugent- Hopkins. He won’t be as good in my opinion but nuge came in had a big rookie season as an 18 year old, regressed in his sophomore season and then kind of plateau’s around 60 points/82 game pace. Then at 30 busts out for 100 lol. Now I don’t think Sillinger has 100 points in him but I think you’re right I think he could very well sit around a 60-70 point pace in 3-4 years and that’s pretty darn good and hey maybe a slightly post-prime breakout could be in order too

Dobber Sports Superstar

All very good points, Bubba. That’s crazy to think. He actually, as far as NHL career goes, reminds me of Nugent- Hopkins. He won’t be as good in my opinion but nuge came in had a big rookie season as an 18 year old, regressed in his sophomore season and then kind of plateau’s around 60 points/82 game pace. Then at 30 busts out for 100 lol. Now I don’t think Sillinger has 100 points in him but I think you’re right I think he could very well sit around a 60-70 point pace in 3-4 years and that’s pretty darn good and hey maybe a slightly post-prime breakout could be in order too
    You noted that he was likely a good buy low candidate and I fully agree with that. The jury remains out, but if you can add Sillinger for a reasonably low cost he is one of those guys who is well worth taking a shot on IMO.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops