Thread: Sorokin vs. Patrick Roy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Sorokin vs. Patrick Roy

Roy seems to favour Varlamov, starting him in 2 out of 3 games, pulling Sorokin last night as well as playing him (Varlamov) more in the regular season. I was not happy with Sorokin's performance this year but I think that was more on the team than on him. I know that Sorokin played the majority of season games, but he had a reduction of games played once Roy took over, which was surprising as they were fighting tooth and nail down the stretch.

Considering that they have a new coach and Sorokin's new contract kicks in with the Isles having next to no cap space to accommodate that, is it possible that Sorokin pulls a Roy vs. Tremblay at some point?

I'm not saying now, in the near-term, or even likely, but it's curious to see how NYI have played their goalies.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Sorokin vs. Patrick Roy

Roy was brought in to get wins. You play the goalies that get you that.

I don't think there is anything more to it than that. Sorokin has not been playing well.

I think the only thing to be aware of here is that Sorokin isn't going to be guaranteed the starts always next year, and you're best of to get the handcuff.

Similar to Quick & Shesterkin this season.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Immortal

He let in 4+ goals in over 20 starts this year. It is crazy that he had 25 Wins on the year.

Varlamov has been considerably better for the majority of the year. Easy decision.

Administrator

Roy has history with Varlamov and he was the better goalie this year. Most coaches would stick by their main goalie but Varlamov is not Jonas Johansson. He's a legit goalie.

I doubt a trade comes from this. Varlamov is too old to be a long-term solution. Sorokin will be fine long-term.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

If the forum has this figured out, and it has, I'm thinking Roy probably has it figured out as well, simple as that. Sorokin needs to suck it up and get to work and get his game back to where it needs to be and can be. If he wants to put a big pout on, fine, but I don't think that's going to happen. He's just another flake Goalie who's lost it and needs to get it back, and he likely will at some point, until he loses it again at some point, and the cycle starts all over again. If things do get ugly, well that should prove entertaining (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Wizard

I hated Roy hire to star it…and I still don’t like it but I find it hard to believe he would use personal differences to bench goalie in the playoffs…I agree with others, if stroking plays better he will play more.

but biggest issue here is that NYI are just outmatched vs Carolina and Roy himself could not win this series…
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

Is Sorokin a buy low in a cap league keeper, or are we avoiding him at 8.25 million?

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think if your set up promotes using expensive goalie, there is no reason not to make that goalie Sorokin. He is as talented as nobody in the league and just had bad year imo.

im just not you spend that much on any goalie, but i cant decide that for you.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Master

I cant predict the future considering Roy can be erratic but my moneys on Sorokin starting 55 , Varly 27 or some variation of that .

I believe under Roy the goal differencial was +2 while under Lambert it was in the -28 range .

depends on your league whether or not high salary goalies are worth it or not .

I have Vasi in a league with a sal cap of 100 mil / 24 man roster and plan to retain .

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    Is Sorokin a buy low in a cap league keeper, or are we avoiding him at 8.25 million?
    Personally, there is no way I am spending that much CAP on Sorokin. I can roster an elite forward or D man for that kind of CAP hit and I can count on that forward or D to deliver the numbers I need and expect. Sorokin, I can't and won't trust, certainly not at that cost. Zero Goalie strategy for me.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Administrator

I also prefer minimizing my investment in goalies, with a few key exceptions:

-Elite goalie
    -Elite team

That would include Shesterkin, Oettinger and Hellebuyck. Maybe a couple others. It's subjective... In Hellebuyck's case, you can argue the quality of the team in front of him.

Sorokin himself is an elite talent, but the team in front of him is not very good and I doubt that changes anytime soon. That's a pass for me in cap leagues.

Aside from your "elite" options, I'm strictly looking for good value. Keep the cap hit low if possible.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports All-Star

Sorokin had a bad year and Roy was brought in to win. Varly is a good pal of his dating back to his Avs days so he knows what he has. As a Sorokin owner I was hoping that he didn’t sign with the Isles. If Roy was the coach at time of signing maybe he wouldn’t have, who knows. But the Isles are nothing more than a lunch pail kind of team and that doesn’t work as much as it used too. They look like an expansion team should look like.