Thread: Might As Well Start Pondering Choices

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Might As Well Start Pondering Choices

Team 2 in Sig, bold names are keepers going into '23-'24; I've now lost two years in row in the semis to the same owner who goes on to win the chip. Both times my team performed well but this year he beat me by three points and the year prior he just had an outlandishly good week compared to what was a very good week for my squad.

Mentally, I find myself at the fork in the road, where one way says keep chugging along with the full on "win now" mentality, prioritizing players at the peak of their capabilities. The other has me looking at some nice, younger assets I currently have the rights to before the keeper deadline months from now. While they may not be at their peak yet, they theoretically give me a longer window.

Players who are locks: Draisaitl(10), Trocheck(12), Josi(41),Shesterkin (21). Number in parentheses is end of season rank.

I drafted Forsberg, Boldy, Tippett; grabbed Sanderson/Faber on the wire. I traded Werenski and a pick for Raymond, so I'm thinking out of principle he has to be retained. That he hit the 70-point threshold at age 21, I figure it's prob crazy not to. Forsberg had an outstanding season alas can he repeat and more importantly, avoid injury. Letting him back into the draft, he'd be a first round pick I assume as he finished this year ranked sixth. Sanderson prob loses out here but I do think he is gonna be great, just when is the question.

Meier is the wrench here, as once Toffoli was dealt he went apesh*t. Can I really afford to let him go if that's the real Timo in NJ.

Kempe is more than likely retained as he's been solid for me two years in a row with plenty of tread left on the tires.

Plenty of time to consider my options but would love to hear what eight players y'all would retain. I can try to trade for a higher tier keeper but only limited owners who even dabble in the arena.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Might As Well Start Pondering Choices

I'd keep Meier. He's apparently been dealing with several injuries this season (he'll need shoulder surgery) and still managed to score 28 goals. Given he's expected to be fully recovered at the start of next season and that he has a top 6 slot locked up with Toffoli gone, his value might increase quite a bit again...

Dobber Sports Titan

How many keepers do you get?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think your "core" is right and I agree that adding McAvoy to that core makes perfect sense. Then it gets a little tougher and more uncertain. I agree that you should keep Meier. I think he returns to form next year and in your format that's gold. That leaves the last two spots and I'm a bit torn between Zibs, Kempe and Raymond. Kempe is steady Eddy, contributes across most scoring cats, he is a great own. He is 27 and put up over 70 pts this year. However, I think he's at a point in his career where he is now approaching or is at his ceiling. However, 70 pts and those kind of peripherals are pretty nice. Zibs is now 31 and he, like Kempe and Raymond put up just over 70 pts this year, a significant decrease from his previous two years, and over the last three years his offence has been declining. His peripherals were also very solid, but I'm seeing some potential red flags here. The Rangers are a cup contender, and they have the kind of depth that allows the scoring to be spread out and I'm not at all sure we are going to see Zibs scoring at an 80 or a 90 pt clip from here on in. I will also add that Zibs is assist heavy compared to both Kempe and Raymond and that's important in your format. Raymond is 22 years old and has already hit the 70 pt mark and the kid is only going to get better. While Raymonds peripherals are not as nice as Kempe's or Zibs, they are quite decent and if he hits his scoring upside of 90 + pts, well, look out. I'm inclined to take a chance and keep Raymond and Kempe and part ways with Zibs. Zibs should also have some significant trade value I would think. Doing this allows you to ice what should be a very competitive team and you get a little younger which is always desirable if you're not taking a big step backward to do so which I don't think you are. Nothing ventured, nothing gained (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    How many keepers do you get?
    Nevermind, found it.

I agree with the locks because this kind of league really does reward Trocheck. Meier has to be kept as well, and that brings you to five. At that point, I think I would toss back McAvoy, because he's good but not excellent, and I think that he continues to be a bit more valuable as a name rather than in fantasy - similar to Pietrangelo for years.

At that point, if you drop Zib as Bubba opined, then you can keep a young core that is basically scoring as much as him anyways, in three of Raymond, Boldy, Kempe and Forsberg. Raymond ends up being the drop for me with his 19% shooting percentage, his lack of elite production in hits or shots, and the fact that he's a little easier to redraft a bit later than the other two.

So that leaves you with Drai, Forsberg, Kempe, Meier, Boldy, Trocheck, Josi, Sesterkin.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

thanks all. Yes, as much as it pains me, Zibanejad is looking like a drop at this point. Tough decision lie ahead but I appreciate the feedback. Other suggestions are more than welcome!