Thread: Twin Goalie Towers - Keeper Conumdrum

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Twin Goalie Towers - Keeper Conumdrum

So I have won the league in the sig below second year in a row and now have a bit of a conundrum with my keepers. I have Demko and Helley to thank in large part for my win and it would be great to keep them again (Demko at a 3rd round pick cost and Hellebyuck at a 2nd round pick cost). But the problem is that I also have Kucherov costing a 4th round pick to keep. This is a problem as the league rules only allow 2 players to be kept with a keeper cost in rounds 1 to 5.

But I can't not pick Kuch at 4th, right. Then the question becomes who do I take, Demko with the bigger keeper discount at 3rd round pick cost or Helley with a 2nd round keeper cost. I know Helley will go in the first round next year if not kept. I also suspect Demko would as well (but later than Helley).

My keepers (can only keep 6) at this point are:

Helley or Demko - 2nd or 3rd
    Kucherov - 4th
    Eriksson Ek - 6th
    Dobson - 7th
    Robertson - 11th

So two questions:

(1) which of Helly or Demko to keep
    (2) who's the last keeper of following (in order of keeper cost):

Montour (6th)
    Konecny (10th)
    Montembeault (13th)
    Bennett (15th)
    Wilson (15th)
    Allen (18th)
    Drouin (18th)

D Strome (18th)
    Zacha (18th)

I haven't listed Fiala (5th), Crosby (1st) , Stone (3rd), Josi (1st), Seider (3rd) or Trouba (5th) as they would all be excluded by the two keepers in rounds 1-5 rule (plus don't have a 5th round pick to keep Fiala/Trouba)
    TEAM (Previous Year's Keepers in Bold):
    Centres: Eriksson Ek, Crosby, Bennett and D Strome
    Wingers: Kucherov, J Robertson, Fiala, Wilson, Stone, Konecny, Drouin
    Dmen: Josi, Dobson, Seider, Montour and Trouba
    Goalies: Hellebuyck, Demko, Allen and Montenbault

H2H CATS:
    Skater Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk
    Goalie Cats: GS, W, GAA, SA, SV%

Roster:
    2LW, 2RW, 2C, 4D, 2Util, 2 G

12 team, 6-keeper league (keeper cost based on draft position; keeper cost increases by 2 rnds each year until hits 5th round cost, then increases by 1 rnd each year), 19 rnd draft. Undrafted FA pick ups cost 18th round pick to keep.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Twin Goalie Towers - Keeper Conumdrum

May seem inconsequential, but is this a ROTO or H2H?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    May seem inconsequential, but is this a ROTO or H2H?
    I always find new things to add to my sig based on these questions haha - it's H2H.

H2H CATS:

Roster:

12 team, 6-keeper league (keeper cost based on draft position; keeper cost increases by 2 rnds each year until hits 5th round cost, then increases by 1 rnd each year), 19 rnd draft. Undrafted FA pick ups cost 18th round pick to keep.

Dobber Sports Titan

Haha. The H2H vs Roto always makes a big difference to me with the strategy of needing to cover all the categories vs covering a majority of the categories.

In a 12 team league, I would consider not keeping either Demko or Helle at a top-30 keeper cost. Demko is injury prone, and I think VAN peaked this year, and Helle is extremely variable year to year.

With that said, I would consider for your six keepers Kuch, JEE, Dobson, Robertson, Konecny, and Wilson. No goalie at all, and you can make that up later on top of an absolutely stacked skater core. Or you redraft whichever of the goalies falls to round two, and then it's like you kept one of them but also upgrade a much later pick.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't think it's the hard. It's Helly and Kuch for sure.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

The Great One

Where do you pick in each round? This matters, since if it's a snake draft then with you being the winner Hellebuyck would replace a 13th overall pick but Demko a 36th overall pick and Kucherov a 37th overall pick. All things being equal, Hellbuyck would be the keep over Demko, but with a 23 pick differential keeper cost, it probably should be Demko, as you should be able to get someone with value far closer to Hellbuyck at 13 than you would to Demko at 36.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Where do you pick in each round? This matters, since if it's a snake draft then with you being the winner Hellebuyck would replace a 13th overall pick but Demko a 36th overall pick and Kucherov a 37th overall pick. All things being equal, Hellbuyck would be the keep over Demko, but with a 23 pick differential keeper cost, it probably should be Demko, as you should be able to get someone with value far closer to Hellbuyck at 13 than you would to Demko at 36.
    Since I took the league, I'm picking 12th in first round, 1st in second round (so 13th overall), 12th in third round (so 36th overall) and 1st in fourth round (so 37th overall) etc. as you say.

The calculus suggest Demko as the more valuable pick, but it's hard and goalies really do win championships in this league, especially volume guys since you can offset a bad week from your forwards with a volume week from goalies.

What would you say for the second question, i.e. who would I pick as my 6th guy (assuming off-season trading is not very easy to get here):

Montour (6th)
    Konecny (10th)
    Montembeault (13th)
    Bennett (15th)
    Wilson (15th)
    Allen (18th)
    Drouin (18th)

D Strome (18th)
    Zacha (18th)

H2H CATS:

Roster:

The Great One

For your sixth guy, probably Strome or Zacha. Solid value either way.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

If you're going goalie anyways I take Wilson as number six for the category coverage

Dobber Sports Initiate

I am between 3 guys for that last spot.
    Zacha, Drouin or Strome.
    Drouin is the bigger wild card of the 3, as he may not re-sign with the Avs
    Their value at 18th is solid.

As for goalie situation. I personally like Helly more and think he carries better value. As Rizzee pointed out the value in pick difference between Demko and Helly. Might make it a more promising choice to keep Demko
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDard View Post
    I am between 3 guys for that last spot.
    Zacha, Drouin or Strome.
    Drouin is the bigger wild card of the 3, as he may not re-sign with the Avs
    Their value at 18th is solid.

As for goalie situation. I personally like Helly more and think he carries better value. As Rizzee pointed out the value in pick difference between Demko and Helly. Might make it a more promising choice to keep Demko
    I don't necessarily mind passing on Hellebuyck given the circumstances too much ... he is more consistent and has a better track record than Demko, but it's an acceptable risk IMO. That said, it is a risk.

I like Bennett, Wilson and Zacha as your last keeper options. I like the idea of covering off some of the roto cats here and that narrows it down to Bennett or Wilson. I personally like Bennett; I'm thinking Wilson's prime time days and idiocy are coming to an end and Bennett is a younger and more stable option who actually checks off more boxes than Wilson these days.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf