Thread: Predicting Teams Resting Players

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Predicting Teams Resting Players

I was just wondering if there was anyone who had a good strategy for when teams rest their players.

What is the norm? I assume teams that are locked for the playoffs are more likely to rest their players, but is it usually 1 game or 2?

Is there a good website (apart from Dobber) that shows if players are resting or not?

Would it be smart to play all your games if you can before the last week?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Predicting Teams Resting Players

In roto I definitely try to get to the end of my games limit a few days before the last game.
    I'm not sure there's really a better catch-all place for news like that, and unfortunately it's a bit of a guessing game as to who will get rested and when.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

That's what I thought.

Just thinking if anyone had a good strategy.

Thanks!

Administrator

Teams that have their seed/matchup decided are more likely to rest some players
    Sometimes teams will push to the end for a higher seed
    Teams that are eliminated are more likely to shut down injured players, unless they are really healthy enough to play

There's no hard rule for this. In year-long pools with GP limits you should be ahead of "projected GP" all year and run out of games sometime around now. The only thing you can do is keep up with the news (many sites/social accounts post individual player news, including Frozen Tools) and many sites/accounts also post game-day lines. The info will come out for most cases. Sometimes you find out during warm-ups when a vet isn't out there. Put in some work and keep up with the news. That's the only strategy.

Yahoo bonus: If you have 1 GP left at a position, you can still use all of your active slots at that position. Use this trick to go above max GP.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

I call it the silly season. This is the last few games of the season, however, the silly season for some teams can actually span a week or two, 4 - 6 games. Extra special! During the silly season you have no idea what kind of a line up hits the ice. Some teams rest players, some are evaluating talent for next year, it's all over the damn map and there are really only two ways to go. Eskimo has touched on one and that's what I do and I would recommend you do the same. For those who wish to torture themselves you look at each player on your roster, the team's playoff reality and try and figure who sits, and who plays. Good friggin' luck with that!
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, this can be a frustrating time of season.

My personal tale of woe: it's the last night of my weekly start championship matchup tonight in a very close contest where I'm clinging to a very slim lead in blocked shots, currently tied in plus/minus and 1 more goalie win could go a long way to tipping the balance. Aaaaannnnnnd I just saw that Nashville is resting both Saros and McDonagh tonight against Chicago.

I still have Eichel and Schmaltz (against Nurse, Fowler and Mantha), so I guess I have a chance. But damn ... tough break to have two players missing an "easier" matchup to rest when an ordinary performance could have made a big difference to the overall outcome.

Oh well, that's part of the fun I guess. Good luck to others facing their own "will they play or will they rest" scenarios!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think Vegas will rest Mark Stone.