Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Middle age and mortality

The Wolverine

Default Re: Middle age and mortality

I've been reading all your posts and wasn't sure if I was going to add my own as I'm a fairly private person. But I've decided that if it can help people in some small way, or at least simply help me by writing it down, then it's worthwhile.

I'm 46, and have had two serious health issues in recent years.

The first was in 2017, when I got cancer. Thankfully, it was caught early, and although I had to have chemo, it cleared after the initial planned treatment and it hasn't come back. Strangely, thinking about my mindset during that time, aside from the initial shock, I tried to tell myself that it was temporary, I would beat it, and move on with my life. I did wonder whether it would change my outlook, my goals, how I would approach life e.g. less stress, better balance etc. In the end, I didn't change much because I realised that I was fortunate that I had a good balance in life, but just making sure I didn't take things for granted. I have an amazing wife, good work/life balance, I'm able to save money for us to do things. The key is not to worry what could happen next.

Fortunately, things were going well generally over the next few years. Then in 2021, I started developing chest pains. Got in to get it checked; they said my heart function was fine and it was initially diagnosed as something muscular. It gradually worsened and I knew it was something else. Eventually, got in to see a cardiologist and managed to get a CT scan, which showed having a significant blockage in one of my arteries near my heart. He told me that untreated I would be at high risk of a heart attack or stroke. Lucky me I got to see him in time! He said I needed to get a stent fitted so he was going to arrange a date for the angioplasty. However, this was during Covid times, and it was a challenge getting an appointment. Eventually he got me in an emergency slot and fortunately everything went fine thereafter.

However, this second health issue scared me a lot more than the cancer. It obviously scared my wife as well, as she admitted to me afterwards that when she dropped me off for the angioplasty (remember, Covid times, she wasn't allowed in), the worst case scenario was in her mind and was scared that she wouldn't see me again. But the reason I've gone into more detail on this one is back to my mindset, and thinking how would I approach my life after the second serious health issue in 4-5 years, especially one that had scared me more than the cancer. The answer - the same as before. I realised (that has already been said in this thread) that small changes can make all the difference.

I've decided not to let the health issues dictate how I will live my life in the future, and I try not to think about what could come next. My Dad died when he was 47, and between myself and my brothers, I'm the most like him. But he had his own health and lifestyle issues, so I can't compare or worry that his genetics will determine my future. Speaking of genetics and just above you guys mentioned statins, after getting the stent I'm now taking them for the rest of my life. And my cholesterol levels are back within normal range. Sure, I'll probably blame my Dad for the cholesterol build up as I don't think it was caused by health/lifestyle choices.

But after all this, my advice is simple. Appreciate what you have, don't take things for granted, don't worry about what has happened (either to yourself or to those close to you), try to have a good work/life balance, and the biggest challenge for me, try not to stress too much. I have to work on that.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Hey Guys. Lots of very good writers and writing here I must say.
    So I'm coming up to 77, quite a bit older than most posters so far. My advice. Don't get COCKY guys if you have good health at 50. That's really not a big deal..you should have. Why do I say "don't get cocky". Up to 70 I had most childhood diseases of the day, some dental issues and pneumonia a few times. That...was...it! Kinda thought I was bullet proof...even though I smoked almost all of my entire life (except the last 3), (my parents both smoked in the house and all my uncles too) ...my Dad had 5 heart attacks and came down with diabetes which eventually killed him at age 85 and a lot of lousy years before he died. Mom lived to 85 also. So ya right, bulletproof lol...had high blood pressure a TIA (mini stroke) at 71. Diagnosed with COPD at 72. Had a big abdominal aneurism on my aorta at 73, 3 years ago. It was found "incidentally" and a major surgery and 3 more smaller ones since saved my life. If an aneurism (generally caused by high blood pressure with no symptoms) ruptures you die unless you can get to a hospital fast.
    These days I don't feel to bad. My advice is no more than what you've heard for years...eat a balanced diet, limit the crap, cut way back on salt...once you get started with a healthy diet just get right back at it if you fall off off. Exercise....unless you are training to go to the Olympics you don't need to kill yourself. I walk 30 minutes a day 6 days a week. I'd like to do more but am limited by this friggen COPD. 30 minutes a day 6x a week is kind of a starting place Again, if you fall off...just get back on. Buy a blood pressure monitor and check your BP 2-3 or more times a week. High Blood pressure is a silent killer with NO SYMPTOMS leading to all kinds of health issues, particularly stroke. If you fall off the taking your blood pressure just get back at it. The sooner you get started and back at it regarding Diet, Exercise and High Blood Pressure the better off you'll be.

Hope you all live to a ripe old age in good health.
    Nice to see someone older than me. Just turned 67. I was a smoker as well. Quit 3 times for 4 and 2 years and it's been 12 years since my last cigarette. However, I started smoking cigars about 5 years ago, quit those a month ago and weaning off by smoking the smaller Colt cigars. My father smoked, but not heavy. Most of my friends as well.

Genetics are probably the biggest factor in longevity as well as lifestyle, obviously, but knowing this, can help you by making sure you get regular check ups and adjusting your diet to help along the way. Everything in moderation is the best way to eat. Staying active is also essential as we get older. Keep moving as much as you can. I played hockey most of my life then got lazy for a few years but have been quite active the last 4 or 5 years. I'm 6' 2", 207 lbs. I've had high cholesterol since my 20's and began taking medication about 25 years ago for it. My 63 yr old brothers (twins) are health nuts, never smoked and hardly drink, and one of them actually has high blood pressure like my 88 yr old mother. My father died at 80, thanks to a bad surgeon. Anyway, life is a battle and you can help stack the odds in your favor by staying active and eating well.

Dobber Sports Stud

Im about to turn 54 soon. Physically in the best shape of my life. Workout pretty hard 4-5 times a week with the mindset of adding lean muscle for the long haul. I erg row about 20-25k meters a week to keep my heart strong as well.

Q: If you didnt know how old you were, how old would you be?

love that question.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

The Great One

Good thread Rizz. I’m 52 and in pretty good health. I spent 20 years in the military. Which kept me in decent shape - but there was a lot of stress involved. There were go pills and no go pills. I know that took a toll. When I got out I got a pretty sedentary job and really didn’t do much aside from pick up hockey and it wasn’t enough. My weight was going up as was my blood pressure. My wife finally kicked my ass into gear last fall and we got on a weight lifting plan. It’s been so good for me. So I lift 3 times a week and walk a lot. Everything about my health is getting better. My Doc said at my age the weights were far more beneficial to longevity than strenuous cardio. I had to cut way back on beer consumption, but that was ok. I don’t miss it too much. I also had a CT/calcium score of my coronary arteries showing no issues and thankfully have great cholesterol. I HIGHLY recommend anyone in our age range have this done. It took 15 mins of my day and has saved so many lives.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

You can just request a CT of your arteries without having serious problems? I would totally do it

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    You can just request a CT of your arteries without having serious problems? I would totally do it
    Yes - it’s a preventative/precautionary measure. I didn’t even bill my insurance. It cost me $75.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Yes - it’s a preventative/precautionary measure. I didn’t even bill my insurance. It cost me $75.
    Highly recommend you do stuff like this, but also if you guys are interested in stuff like this I even more strongly recommend Peter Attia's book. It's not gospel or anything but it talks a lot about all of this stuff and gives a lot of advice on longevity.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Highly recommend you do stuff like this, but also if you guys are interested in stuff like this I even more strongly recommend Peter Attia's book. It's not gospel or anything but it talks a lot about all of this stuff and gives a lot of advice on longevity.
    I have read this book on rataylor22's recommendation and I found it helpful. Some common sense, some stuff I didn't need, and some new information, but the book and tweetdrivr's statement above about weight training being more important post-50 than cardio drives me to shift towards weights and away from 6 days of cardio a week.

Dobber Sports Stud

yeah, 6 days of cardio is just not necessary.. strength training done right, is cardio. Watch Liam Hemmsworth show on Disney called Limitless, some of it is based around Peter Attias theories. fascinating stuff

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was a weight junkie from my teens to 30, then went hardcore running, marathons and triathlons till my late 30s, now I'm just occasional running and peloton.

Probably time I got back into weights...

Dobber Sports Icon

To add to the conversation.

I am 45 and havve a wife and 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 4. I was diagnosed with "terminal" pancreatic cancer on April 19th, 2023. It is called terminal because in Canada the only "cure" is surgical removal which will never be possible with the positioning of my tumor. Both my oncologist and my life insurance company gave me a less than a year to live.

I am still here and not in any worse shape than I was at diagnosis (ignore the fact I am currently in the hospital due to a complication with my biliary stent). I fully plan to beat this thing and live to see my grow children grow old. Thankfully, research is happening at a blistering pace and some "experimental" doctors are seeing tremendous results. Or at least that's what they tell me as they ask for buckets of cash.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I have read this book on rataylor22's recommendation and I found it helpful. Some common sense, some stuff I didn't need, and some new information, but the book and tweetdrivr's statement above about weight training being more important post-50 than cardio drives me to shift towards weights and away from 6 days of cardio a week.
    I need to look into this more. I don't enjoy weight training at all but can bike or hike every day and often do in the summer.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

I am 45 and havve a wife and 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 4. I was diagnosed with "terminal" pancreatic cancer on April 19th, 2023. It is called terminal because in Canada the only "cure" is surgical removal which will never be possible with the positioning of my tumor. Both my oncologist and my life insurance company gave me a less than a year to live.

I am still here and not in any worse shape than I was at diagnosis (ignore the fact I am currently in the hospital due to a complication with my biliary stent). I fully plan to beat this thing and live to see my grow children grow old. Thankfully, research is happening at a blistering pace and some "experimental" doctors are seeing tremendous results. Or at least that's what they tell me as they ask for buckets of cash.
    Damn! I'm speechless after reading this. Hoping for the best for you and your family.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

I am not a religious person so the last thing I'd say is anything around prayers but I wish you nothing but good health in your battle. Remember what your fighting for. Keep up the positive attitude brother.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am not a religious person so the last thing I'd say is anything around prayers but I wish you nothing but good health in your battle. Remember what your fighting for. Keep up the positive attitude brother.
    Attitude and will is huge in this situation. Less than two years after heart surgery, my 68 yr old brother in law developed a cancerous tumor on his spine in 2019 and almost gave up. He lost feeling in his lower body and after surgery, treatment and months of physio, he was basically sent home in a wheelchair to die. With his large family behind him, he fought on. Slowly, his strength kept improving and within a few months, was walking with a walker. Then with a cane. Within 4 years he went from a wheelchair and is now golfing again! He started out using a walker to get to his ball, then a cane and now without one. Truly incredible.