Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Middle age and mortality

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Middle age and mortality

Ok so I don’t want to make this thread weird, but I do know a lot of happy people who pray. Scientifically, there’s lots of data that depressed people don’t live as long, and cancer patients who need antidepressant meds don’t do as well as those like ChuckCouples who enjoy both fantasy and reality. I’m 70. I’ve told my adult children that I’ve had a wonderful life, whether it ends tomorrow or in 25 more years, and my advice to them?? Three short suggestions - do your best, tell the truth, sleep at night. Nagging regrets only drag you down.

Dobber Sports Stud

Reading through this thread has shown me some remarkable people with good perspectives.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I need to look into this more. I don't enjoy weight training at all but can bike or hike every day and often do in the summer.
    One thing you might look into is rucking, if you want to mix in a little weight training. On days that I might go for a walk, I load up what used to be my backpack for carrying my kids with about 50 pounds in weights and walk 5k or so, trying to walk at a brisk pace. There are other backpacks designed to carry weight. If hiking is on your menu, perhaps rucking with significant weight can give you a little extra oomph.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    To add to the conversation.

I am 45 and havve a wife and 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 4. I was diagnosed with "terminal" pancreatic cancer on April 19th, 2023. It is called terminal because in Canada the only "cure" is surgical removal which will never be possible with the positioning of my tumor. Both my oncologist and my life insurance company gave me a less than a year to live.

I am still here and not in any worse shape than I was at diagnosis (ignore the fact I am currently in the hospital due to a complication with my biliary stent). I fully plan to beat this thing and live to see my grow children grow old. Thankfully, research is happening at a blistering pace and some "experimental" doctors are seeing tremendous results. Or at least that's what they tell me as they ask for buckets of cash.
    All the best. Keep fighting and hopefully the results keep getting better.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I am 45 and havve a wife and 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 4. I was diagnosed with "terminal" pancreatic cancer on April 19th, 2023. It is called terminal because in Canada the only "cure" is surgical removal which will never be possible with the positioning of my tumor. Both my oncologist and my life insurance company gave me a less than a year to live.

I am still here and not in any worse shape than I was at diagnosis (ignore the fact I am currently in the hospital due to a complication with my biliary stent). I fully plan to beat this thing and live to see my grow children grow old. Thankfully, research is happening at a blistering pace and some "experimental" doctors are seeing tremendous results. Or at least that's what they tell me as they ask for buckets of cash.
    Keep up the positive attitude man. You got this.

Dobber Sports Master

In my main keeper league (this is the 22nd year), we had a founding member of our pool get ****ed by cancer. He went in to remission three times but it kept coming back. He passed just this past October. Its hard to contemplate, but you can go at any time. This thread is a good reminder of that. For those who still think like an invincible 24 year old (every single one of us), do the small things to keep yourself healthy. I love you all.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    In my main keeper league (this is the 22nd year), we had a founding member of our pool get ****ed by cancer. He went in to remission three times but it kept coming back. He passed just this past October. Its hard to contemplate, but you can go at any time. This thread is a good reminder of that. For those who still think like an invincible 24 year old (every single one of us), do the small things to keep yourself healthy. I love you all.
    First off - chuck, know that we're all pulling for you

In my hockey league, the following things have occurred - (1) a member was killed on 9/11, (2) a longtime member not even 40 years old died of a heart attack while his wife was pregnant, and (3) as I mention in my original post, the best man at my wedding died of a heart attack in front of his kids. It's very sobering.

I am so glad I started this thread. So much positivity and commiseration, and many really great pieces of advice. Mods, maybe sticky this? Just sayin......
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Your spirit and positivity is inspirational. You got this brother.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Q: If you didnt know how old you were, how old would you be?

love that question.
    My problem is I act like I'm 25 and yet I am twice that age. Yesterday, I took my kayak fishing and tweaked my back putting it into my truck. 4 hours of fishing and I was really struggling getting it back into the truck. I really need to get a more comfortable seat. You'd think that would make me rest today but I just rode the mountain bike for 2.5 hours. And I can never take it easy on a ride. I always ride hard. No regrets. I'll rest at work on Monday.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Icon

Thank you everyone.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for sharing this, Rick. Sorry to hear about your friends. Dobber’s health situation has certainly made me think about my own mortality more.

I’m turning 50 later this year, and have thankfully avoided anything major or life-threatening. My exercise program consists mainly of short runs, long bike rides, and getting back into the gym after avoiding it during the thick of COVID. I have about one drink per week and have made an effort to eat healthier over the past few years (ie. more salads!) I'm pretty sure I don't weigh a pound more than I need to. I could visit the doctor more often, although I was cleared of a bunch of health risks about a year and a half ago.

You can do all the right things but it still doesn’t guarantee anything – just lessens the likelihood of something happening. It's also important to be kind, since you don’t know what kind of battles someone else is facing.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Padawan

Good luck in your fight with cancer. All the best to you and your family.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, Rick. Sorry to hear about your friends. Dobber’s health situation has certainly made me think about my own mortality more.

I’m turning 50 later this year, and have thankfully avoided anything major or life-threatening. My exercise program consists mainly of short runs, long bike rides, and getting back into the gym after avoiding it during the thick of COVID. I have about one drink per week and have made an effort to eat healthier over the past few years (ie. more salads!) I'm pretty sure I don't weigh a pound more than I need to. I could visit the doctor more often, although I was cleared of a bunch of health risks about a year and a half ago.

You can do all the right things but it still doesn’t guarantee anything – just lessens the likelihood of something happening. It's also important to be kind, since you don’t know what kind of battles someone else is facing.

Hey - I AM the doctor, and I advise everyone to live their life to the fullest. There’s things you can do, and things you can prevent (some), and a whole lot of shXT that we just “deal with.” No regrets works best.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

The Great One

One other thing I remind myself a lot, and this thread proves, is you need to realize no one has it easy once they're past 50. I don't care how fit they are, how happy they seem, or what they outwardly project to the world, they're unquestionably facing challenges, whether physical, emotional, financial, marital, or otherwise. Coming to that realization has been helpful and grounding, at least to me.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Next week is big for me - colonoscopy. I'm overdue, as I'm 53. But I also have already had two of them due to family history and my own issues, the most recent being in 2010. I did Cologuard and it was negative so I'm not especially worried, but you never know. And with my son having Crohns and my dad Ulcerative colitis there is a chance I somehow have developed IBD later in life. I'm still annoyed that the first time I used a prep which was so easy and not disgusting that it spoiled me, and they ended up taking it off the market due to kidney function risks in seniors. Now I'm stuck with the awful stuff. Oh well - I just have to focus on getting through it.