Thread: Saving Sakic Documentary - premiering on Amazon Prime on April 16th

The Great One

Default Saving Sakic Documentary - premiering on Amazon Prime on April 16th

Apologies if I missed a thread about this, but I don't recall seeing one.

In just over a week a documentary is premiering on Amazon Prime about what ensued when the Rangers, fresh off losing Mark Messier to the Canucks in the summer of 1997, went ahead and offered sheeted then RFA Joe Sakic for 3 years, $21M, and how the Avs scrambled to find a way to match and ended up getting a lifeline from, of all places, Hollywood.

Here's a write-up with a link to the trailer: https://www.nhl.com/news/saving-saki...ieres-april-16

I'll give it a watch, assuming it's available here in the US. It seems like kind of a narrow subject matter for a full documentary, but I'm sure it'll be entertaining to those of us old enough to remember this going down, and others who either only heard about it later or never even realized it happened.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Saving Sakic Documentary - premiering on Amazon Prime on April 16th

Thanks for sharing, will need to give it a watch.
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Administrator

I thought "Saving Sakic" would refer to the doctor that treated him after he got his hand stuck in a snow blower

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Definitely curious to check this one out. I remember that event fairly well. (Didn't recall the snow blower thing though - thanks Eric!)

Dig anything that shows the 'behind the scenes' in the NHL as long as it's authentic.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports All-Star

Will check it out. Thanks. Also, the 'Borje, Journey of a Legend', was very good. It follows the career of Salming from when he was first scouted by the Leafs when NHL players began heading to the WHA.