Thread: Alexis Lafreniere

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Alexis Lafreniere

I’ve watched a lot of Rangers games this season, and Lafreniere has looked pretty impressive.

The big production issue with him appears to be Power Play time. When looking at his even strength production, he has 41 points this season on 5v5. This total is more than Zibanijad (37) and only 1 less than Kreider (42). It is also more than notable young players like Suzuki (40).

Most #1 overall picks have PP time handed to them, which simply isn’t the case for Laffy due to the strength of his team.

Power Play time may not come for another couple of seasons based on NYR’s depth chart, but I’d argue with prime PP deployment Lafreniere would have had another ~20 points this season.

I wanted to see what others thought of him. Are there any others who has watched him play a lot this season that have have an opinion on him?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Alexis Lafreniere

I share your sentiments in that he looks good. His skating has vastly improved and he's begun filling out physically so that he can handle that element of the game better. Playing with Panarin/Trocheck certainly helps but he is not out of place and he is using his shot more. I envision much like Guy Lafleur who took until 23 to blossom, next year is that age season for Laffy, and the true emergence comes.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    I share your sentiments in that he looks good. His skating has vastly improved and he's begun filling out physically so that he can handle that element of the game better. Playing with Panarin/Trocheck certainly helps but he is not out of place and he is using his shot more. I envision much like Guy Lafleur who took until 23 to blossom, next year is that age season for Laffy, and the true emergence comes.
    Thanks!

Good to see him add another 4 even strength points today!

Dobber Sports Ace

5* point night

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thats timing haha!!

I think his skill will force the issue next year. When I see a guy with a ratio of es to pp time like his I usually get excited because all it takes is a coach to give him a chance and that player has the potential to almost DOUBLE their production- lol! As an owner im loving that the pp issue boils down to a matter of time with this player but I dont see it continuing past next year tbh...
    Weekly changes- protect 6-12 each year determined randomly- and the rest stay on board so.its like a pseudo dynasty. 2c, 3w, 1ff, 4d, 2g

The scoring is skaters: g4, a2, sog 1, pim 0.25, st+1, and +/- 1 for forwards and +/-3 for defense.
    Goalies: W6, L-2,sv0.3, SO 3 and player scoring for G and A.

Rebuilding
    C- Hughes, Carlsson
    W- Laf, Slaf, Michkov, Buchy
    D- Weresnki, L Hughes, Clarke, Xhekaj
    G- Swayman, Wolf
    B- Wright, Sharnagovich, Tolvanen, Mangiapane, Schmid, Other Junk
    Farm- Michkov, Holtz, Stankoven, N Robertson, Cristall[, Cossa

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Rangers finally took a page out of the LA (Byfield) and MON (Slaf) book and said "Why don't we try playing this guy with our top players?"
    Some nice numbers with Trocheck and Panarin:
    https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...&situation=ALL

Dobber Sports Star

I like seeing the shots on goal. If he is getting shots, I take that to mean that he (and most others) are either creating their own space for shots and/or learning where to space themselves to set themselves up to receive shot chances from a teammate. An exception is those guys who played with a Datsyuk type where Datsyuk did all the work to generate a shot chance and they just had to be in position to have the puck deflect off their body.

Lafreniere's been shooting 3 SOG+ for a few months give or take. He's there. With PP1 time, he'd be 80 points per season. Just need the Rangers to make that happen.
    Last edited by senryu; April 1, 2024 at 3:03 PM. Reason: 80 points per season, not per game.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Lafreniere is rounding into form and is nicely on his way to fulfilling the expectations associated with a first overall. It took time, and it may take a little more time, but I think it's fair to say he has arrived and will become the PPG player anticipated as early as next year but likely the year after.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf