Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose Last Two Keepers - Barzal, Dahlin, Morrissey, etc.

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Help Me Choose Last Two Keepers - Barzal, Dahlin, Morrissey, etc.

Hey All,

For the top team in my sig, who would your last two keepers be? It's points only. My two Leafs & two Oilers are my no-brainers, but then after that I've got a lot of good secondary options. Which two would you pick? Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

The Great One

Default Re: Help Me Choose Last Two Keepers - Barzal, Dahlin, Morrissey, etc.

For sure Dahlin. He's doing pretty well this season despite a paltry 6.9% team shooting percentage at 5x5. Once that renormalizes he'll be back above 70+ point scoring pace, perhaps even point per game.

The last one is tough. I could see an argument for Morrissey, who's showing he's the real deal despite a SH% that's lower than his career average. Barzal is perfect for points only, but I think if I had to pick one of him or Morrissey I think Morrissey is the better choice, albeit not by much.

But if it was me, I'd keep Skinner. He has 23 wins and 3 OTLs in his last 30 games played, and now is a true #1, and likely to be a top five if not top three netminder in your format for years to come.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

I second this. I think going goalie here is the safe option. Will allow you to not have to worry about another goalie until round 4/5.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    For sure Dahlin. He's doing pretty well this season despite a paltry 6.9% team shooting percentage at 5x5. Once that renormalizes he'll be back above 70+ point scoring pace, perhaps even point per game.

The last one is tough. I could see an argument for Morrissey, who's showing he's the real deal despite a SH% that's lower than his career average. Barzal is perfect for points only, but I think if I had to pick one of him or Morrissey I think Morrissey is the better choice, albeit not by much.

But if it was me, I'd keep Skinner. He has 23 wins and 3 OTLs in his last 30 games played, and now is a true #1, and likely to be a top five if not top three netminder in your format for years to come.
    Thanks for this. I'm leaning against keeping a goalie, because we only have one active goalie slot it's not as hard to find good ones in the draft. For example, this year I was able to get Markstrom & Skinner in the 5th round. Top scoring D are hard to get in the draft, and good centers often fall quite low.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    I second this. I think going goalie here is the safe option. Will allow you to not have to worry about another goalie until round 4/5.
    There's always a few goalies that go early, but a load of them fall until quite late in the draft. I've never kept a goalie in this league (I do in my other two leagues) and it's never hurt me too bad.

Last year only 7 goalies were kept in total, among the 12 teams.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies & Hockeys View Post
    There's always a few goalies that go early, but a load of them fall until quite late in the draft. I've never kept a goalie in this league (I do in my other two leagues) and it's never hurt me too bad.
    I hear you, and who's to say how Edmonton/Skinner will fare next season. Still, your sixth keeper is iffy at best. You're also already pretty wedded to Edmonton, so if you believe in them as a team you may as well lock down Skinner.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

I hear you, and who's to say how Edmonton/Skinner will fare next season. Still, your sixth keeper is iffy at best. You're also already pretty wedded to Edmonton, so if you believe in them as a team you may as well lock down Skinner.
    I don't necessarily believe in the Oilers, I just believe in McDrai, haha.

One nice thing about our league is it's very active on the trade front, even in the summer. So if we do think I should upgrade on that 6th slot, there's a decent chance I can make that happen in the off-season before our fall draft.

The Great One

If you didn't have Matthews I'd say trade Marner. He is what he is, but his perceived value is higher due to his profile. But having both him and Matthews is probably too good to break up.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Good discussion. The first 5 are pretty obvious but that last keeper is a tough call. I like Barzal but I honestly think Morrissey as a D brings more value to your keepers and also gives you some positional balance which I always like. So, it comes down to Morrissey or the flake ... I mean Skinner. I was going to ask you how many goalies were typically kept in your league, but you have answered that. Skinner is a Tier 1 Goalie, there are two 0 tier and 7 tier 1 goalies according to Dobber. That's 9 to choose from and last year only 7 were kept, so, theoretically a Tier 1 goalie like Skinner is potentially available at the draft. The last point I will make is this, IMO, Skinner's "shit the bed" factor for next year is significantly higher than Morrissey's "shit the bed" factor next year. I'm Keeping Josh.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

If you didn't have Matthews I'd say trade Marner. He is what he is, but his perceived value is higher due to his profile. But having both him and Matthews is probably too good to break up.
    Thanks! Yeah, as a Leafs fan I'll always keep Matthews & Marner as long as they're still with the Leafs.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Good discussion. The first 5 are pretty obvious but that last keeper is a tough call. I like Barzal but I honestly think Morrissey as a D brings more value to your keepers and also gives you some positional balance which I always like. So, it comes down to Morrissey or the flake ... I mean Skinner. I was going to ask you how many goalies were typically kept in your league, but you have answered that. Skinner is a Tier 1 Goalie, there are two 0 tier and 7 tier 1 goalies according to Dobber. That's 9 to choose from and last year only 7 were kept, so, theoretically a Tier 1 goalie like Skinner is potentially available at the draft. The last point I will make is this, IMO, Skinner's "shit the bed" factor for next year is significantly higher than Morrissey's "shit the bed" factor next year. I'm Keeping Josh.
    Yeah, it's honestly the "positional balance" thing that has me thinking Morrissey. It's very easy to find some solid centers late in the draft. Goalies too, though not quite as top-flight. But year over year who we think the best goalies will be are often wrong, where D are at least a bit more stable usually. I think I'm beginning to lean towards Morrissey. This has been a very helpful discussion!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, it's honestly the "positional balance" thing that has me thinking Morrissey. It's very easy to find some solid centers late in the draft. Goalies too, though not quite as top-flight. But year over year who we think the best goalies will be are often wrong, where D are at least a bit more stable usually. I think I'm beginning to lean towards Morrissey. This has been a very helpful discussion!
    I am an ardent proponent of the "Zero Goalie" strategy: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/fantas...0next%20season.

Welcome to the club (:

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

The Great One

Thanks! Yeah, as a Leafs fan I'll always keep Matthews & Marner as long as they're still with the Leafs.
    This is not something a consistent fantasy hockey winner should ever say, FWIW. Who they play for should have no bearing on how you value them or whether you keep them; and if it does, you are vulnerable to hurting your chances of fielding a winning team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting discussion. Tough call for sure. I didn't even really consider keeping Skinner, so for me (like many here), it's Dahlin, Morrissey and Barzal for the final two spots. Barzal is pretty solid, but having two bonafide offensive studs on the back end is what I would lean towards. Last season, Morrissey was 2nd in D scoring, while Dahlin was 7th. This year, they are 8th and 9th respectively. That said, I have been called a "defence-whore" when it comes to fantasy hockey, so I might be a tad biased. Good luck with whatever your decision is!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Superstar

" That said, I have been called a "defence-whore" when it comes to fantasy hockey, so I might be a tad biased." Ya .... I noticed (:

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops