View Poll Results: Which 5 are most overrated in fantasy as of now?

Voters
65. This poll is closed
  • Aleksander Barkov

3 4.62%
  • Sidney Crosby

5 7.69%
  • Rasmus Dahlin

3 4.62%
  • Alex DeBrincat

25 38.46%
  • Jack Eichel

22 33.85%
  • Alexanandar Georgiev

11 16.92%
  • Roope Hintz

9 13.85%
  • Patrik Laine

33 50.77%
  • Elias Lindholm

30 46.15%
  • Evgeni Malkin

28 43.08%
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

17 26.15%
  • Jake Oettinger

14 21.54%
  • Jason Robertson

9 13.85%
  • Juuse Saros

4 6.15%
  • Mark Scheifele

4 6.15%
  • Moritz Seider

16 24.62%
  • John Tavares

22 33.85%
  • Devon Toews

15 23.08%
  • Andrei Vasilevskiy

20 30.77%
  • Mika Zibanejad

9 13.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Most Overrated

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Most Overrated

In what has become an annual poll, it's time to bestow upon five players the title no one wants to get, namely that of being the most overrated in fantasy. And we are talking purely about fantasy here, so for skaters the criteria is points and for goalies it's Wins, GAA, and SV%. And when I say overrated, I mean as of right now; so if someone wasn't overrated in the past but they are now, that matters, as does the being in danger of becoming overrated but maybe not quite there yet.

What makes a player overrated? Essentially it's falling short of realistic expectations. Or to put it another way, it's someone where, when you hear their name, you instinctively think "yeah, that guy sure is overrated."

With these things in mind, your task is to vote for the five among this list who are the most overrated versus the rest. Note that I didn't include Alex Ovechkin, Johnny Gaudreau, and Jonathan Huberdeau as choices, since I felt they'd get too many votes. I wanted to try and leave the outcome more up in the air.

And as usual, please post in the thread who you voted for and why. And stay tuned next month for the most underrated players.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Most Overrated

I voted for:

Crosby - It's time to face the fact that he's a shell of his former self, which is not unexpected but also not in keeping with the still very high value people assign to him
    Oettinger - He seems to be getting worse, not better, and he was though to be a surefire top five netminder this season....ahhhh, how about no
    Seider - Let me preface this by saying much of Seider's struggles are due to lousy deployment; but whatever the cause poolies still hold him in too high regard for the time being
    Vasilevskiy - All those games in all those seasons, and all those deep playoff runs, look to have taken their toll, yet he's still seen as a stud goalie by many
    Zibanejad - His stats are not trending well, but I still feel many think of him as elite
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sage

Vasi, Toews, Oettinger, and Seider for me.

A lot of this comes down to how highly you perceive the rest of the hockey world views the player.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Eichel - the hype is above the value/risk
    Hintz - still valued above than what he usually produces
    Oettinger, Saros, Vasilevskiy - overrated goalies who probably will excel some seasons.

Dobber Sports Deity

Debrincat
    Laine
    Malkin
    Moritz
    Tavares
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Debrincat
    Laine
    Malkin
    Moritz
    Tavares
    this is by far best list so far imo. Only switch for me would be Tavares for Vasil
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

I may have misinterpreted the assignment, so not to critique any selections but how is Laine overrated at this moment or going forward? I overrated him this past draft by picking him too early, but I doubt many will give him the same benefit of the doubt the upcoming draft.

Another player I overrated past draft - PLD. Is he still overrated or will people avoid him now?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    I may have misinterpreted the assignment, so not to critique any selections but how is Laine overrated at this moment or going forward? I overrated him this past draft by picking him too early, but I doubt many will give him the same benefit of the doubt the upcoming draft.

Another player I overrated past draft - PLD. Is he still overrated or will people avoid him now?
    injuries or not, did you expect Laine to score 9 points this year or to be on a pace for 41? Last 2 years he was close to PPG, so as of today he easily makes the list imo.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    injuries or not, did you expect Laine to score 9 points this year or to be on a pace for 41? Last 2 years he was close to PPG, so as of today he easily makes the list imo.
    That's what I mean about interpreting the question. I did overrate Laine. I'm not overrating him now. In the upcoming draft 2024/25 I believe the three goalies I listed still will go in the first or second round of the draft, but how many of them will fulfill or surpass the value of a first or second round pick? These goalies are currently overrated in fantasy. Laine won't be drafted before the 10th round, but if he plays enough games there's a good chance he surpasses any tenth round selection. He's just a very risky bet atm.

Dobber Sports Guru

I only voted for Eichel and Debrincat. The rest seem to be fairly valued to me, at least in the leagues I am in.

Malkin seems to be a bit of a strange inclusion. He's been difficult to trade away in my points only league for years because of his injury history.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

With Malkin and Laine, I realize their perceived value has dropped; however, I still feel like they will get picked earlier next season than arguably they should because of the "you never know......" factor, which to me translates to them being overrated on paper. Same for Crosby to a degree, as people will see his name on the draft board and grab him over a better option due to familiarity and past renown.

Interesting results so far. Zero votes for Jrob is quite surprising I will say.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    With Malkin and Laine, I realize their perceived value has dropped; however, I still feel like they will get picked earlier next season than arguably they should because of the "you never know......" factor, which to me translates to them being overrated on paper. Same for Crosby to a degree, as people will see his name on the draft board and grab him over a better option due to familiarity and past renown.
    Suckers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I only voted for Eichel and Debrincat. The rest seem to be fairly valued to me, at least in the leagues I am in.

Malkin seems to be a bit of a strange inclusion. He's been difficult to trade away in my points only league for years because of his injury history.
    Could be that you're the one in your league overvaluing him.

I've faced the same situation for years with Ovechkin in my league. Nobody would offer what I considered to be fair value, so I've kept him and been pretty happy with it.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Debrincat
    Laine
    Malkin
    Moritz
    Tavares
    I like it, maybe put JT right behind Laine but nice group.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post

Interesting results so far. Zero votes for Jrob is quite surprising I will say.
    I just voted for Robertson. Him like Tage Thompson were picked way to early this year. They were first rounders over established players due to one monster season. I also voted Barkov and Eichel, who can't stay healthy and don't produce as much as people think.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky