Thread: Any hockey card collectors here?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Any hockey card collectors here?

I just started buying hockey cards with this whole bounty on the 1 of 1 Bedard rookie card. Anyone else collect or possibly want to trade.

I got a Bedard young guns rookie. Also pulled a Doug Gilmour UD canvas 1 of 1 printing plate.

The Great One

Default Re: Any hockey card collectors here?

Yes, I am an avid collector. My advice is to avoid 23-24 product with Bedard rookies. They are priced at a ridiculous premium and once the market gets saturated prices will plummet. If you do want to collect, focus on past seasons, or non-Bedard rookies. There are bargains to be had by those looking to sell in order to fund their Bedard chase.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Yes, I am an avid collector. My advice is to avoid 23-24 product with Bedard rookies. They are priced at a ridiculous premium and once the market gets saturated prices will plummet. If you do want to collect, focus on past seasons, or non-Bedard rookies. There are bargains to be had by those looking to sell in order to fund their Bedard chase.
    Thanks for the advice. Prices are incredibly crazy. I'll probably give it a couple months and save up since I just spent like $1500 on 4 boxes.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I disagree with this. I am not going for the early boxes but when they come down, I feel you have to be all in in Bedard rookies. Same thing applied when McDavid was a rookie. The thing is unless your just collecting for a hobby. If you want the cards to actually be worth anything you need to be collecting the best of the best. The legends if you will.

I remember having a bunch of Vladmir Tarasenko, Ehlers, Stamkos, Taveres etc cards, hard signed rookies and patches. I got rid of most of them when their hype was high and either traded for Ovi and Crosby cards or sold them on Ebay. Heck even guys like Malkin, Mackinnon, Patrick Kane, Eric Karlesson, Kucherov lost a ton of value after the hype dies down. You really only want to be collecting the generational players. Right now out of active players it's Crosby, Ovi, McDavid, and now Bedard.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I disagree with this. I am not going for the early boxes but when they come down, I feel you have to be all in in Bedard rookies. Same thing applied when McDavid was a rookie. The thing is unless your just collecting for a hobby. If you want the cards to actually be worth anything you need to be collecting the best of the best. The legends if you will.

I remember having a bunch of Vladmir Tarasenko, Ehlers, Stamkos, Taveres etc cards, hard signed rookies and patches. I got rid of most of them when their hype was high and either traded for Ovi and Crosby cards or sold them on Ebay. Heck even guys like Malkin, Mackinnon, Patrick Kane, Eric Karlesson, Kucherov lost a ton of value after the hype dies down. You really only want to be collecting the generational players. Right now out of active players it's Crosby, Ovi, McDavid, and now Bedard.
    The best strategy in today's card market, post-COVID, is to get in cheap, and get out fast. I made a pretty penny selling high on Jason Robertson, Tim Stutzle and Linus Ullmark, and I have about ten other players where I'm just waiting to sell once they get hot, since all it takes is a decent stretch of production and people go nuts buying at crazy prices. Heck, I sold Chytil cards for big numbers after he scored three points in his first two playoff games last year! That's all it can take in some instances.

Long term holds, I agree, are risky unless it's a player linked to a big market or a true superstar. But why hold long term? Sell and don't look back. If you do that, you won't regret it 98% of the time. And in doing so, you can fund your ability to collect players you care about without worrying about investment potential.

As far as Bedard, the issue is his cards have massive success already baked in, plus there is TONS of UD Series 2 being printed. TONS! He will need to win several scoring titles and/or Stanley Cups just to prevent the bottom from falling out. We've reached a point where players who are hyped upon entering the league will be at best break even, and that's only if they're huge successes. Look no further than football, where everyone went nuts over Trevor Lawrence, Mac Jones, Justin Herbert, and Joe Burrow, paying ridiculous prices. Now those cards are worth 10-20% of what people paid. Yes, if you went after Mahomes cards you did get rewarded. But the success rate is low, and the risk is very high.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/