Thread: Goalie to target for next year

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Goalie to target for next year

Trade deadline is today and I'm looking to trade for a goalie with future potential. Currently owning Skinner, Talbot, Allen & Storlaz (and Wolf but likely no game from him). I doubt I'll be keeping anyone but Skinner and Wolf as a rookie.

I have a chance to trade for the following goalies.. who would you target?
    - Ullmark - likely will find a new home in the off-season so destination will be unknown, but he does have a modified NTC so can control his destiny a bit
    - Samsonov - will be a UFA and I doubt Leafs will be keeping him... I think he'll find a gig somewhere next season. Also, feels like he'll be splitting with Woll for the balance of the year.
    - Andersen - Kochetkov will probably push to split next year with Andersen, then Freddy's future will be unknown.. he's getting up there in age as well.
    - Binnington - feels the safest because of the contract and STL is playing well. Hofer is at the door but I don't see STL moving him and he is playing better compared to prior year.

Any preference? I'm leaning on Samosnov due to age and potential UFA destination, but Binnington feels the safest for now.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Goalie to target for next year

They all have big question marks but I agree with you that Binnington is the safest. I think I would gamble on Ullmark but it’s close.
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Bobrovsky
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Brisson, Rosen

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd roll the dice on Ullmark out of that group. Some questions on where he goes for sure, but it actually helps that he controls his fate a bit.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

The Great One

None of them wow me. I think Ullmark's success is a by-product of the team and coach, plus the light schedule. Under the pressure of the playoffs, and needing to play consecutive games, he faltered. As for Binnington, it's funny how people are saying what a great season he's had. That's only by comparison to his recent struggles. Don't fall for that trap. Andersen is inked for one more year in Carolina, and I fully expect him to start at most half their games, as Kochetkov is eased into the starting role. As for Samsonov, he's been a disappointment at every level since he came to the US. Yes, he looked very strong for a brief stretch, but nothing suggests that was the real him.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

So we have no idea what your team and you league and roster actually looks like. If you created a sig and included that information it would be extremely useful in allowing the forum to answer your questions to the best of our ability.

So you want to trade for a goalie, all have question marks as has already been pointed out. You also apparently own notable goalies such as Skinner and Wolf. Here is my advice, again based on zero info about your league and roster and other relevant info: forget trading for question marks, wait till next year begins and draft and hit FA's instead:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/fantas...trategy-zero-g
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think I agree with the Zero G idea here rather than make a trade for one of these options. Every year there is generally a number of good options available both in the draft and sometimes on the wire. Keep Skinner... and Wolf as a rookie as you say (I believe that is what you meant?).

Depending on the price, I think Freddy Andersen is the best option for next season only but I would not be looking to pay much as he's just a one year option and there is likely a 1A/1B goalie in the draft who will provide close stats. I do think it may be more of a 55/45 split with Kochetkov in Carolina next season... Koch is looking pretty solid here.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the feedback and sorry I didn't get my signature updated this year (been too hectic but still value everyone's opinions!) Please see sig for detail.

Appreciate all the feedback and I'm leaning also on not trading for a G now and see what happens next year. I don't think I can even carry a G in my 8 keep as Boldy made his way to my list. Having Skinner and Wolf as my rookies will save me some decisions.
    H2H 12-Team Keeper (8 + 4 rookies*) - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Larkin, RNH, Kuznetsov
    LW: Draisaitl, Keller, Meier, Lehkonen, Benn
    RW: DeBrincat, Reinhart, Boldy
    D: Q. Hughes, Weeger, Gudas, York, Andersson, Durzi
    G: Skinner*, Talbot, Allen, Stolarz, Wolf*
    IR+: Larkin, Trouba, Vilardi

H2H 12-Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G:

The Great One

I count 5 goalie categories and 11 skater categories. That signifies a bit more importance for goalies than normal. And three of the five categories are volume-based, meaning you need guys who play on a regular basis. Seeing your entire line-up, I agree that Skinner and Wolf would be keeps as rookies, but I might look into selling high on Reinhart and shopping him and Wolf for a higher tier netminder. Yes, losing Wolf could come back to bite you, but I think Reinhart's value will never be higher, and you might want to seize upon that. If you hold Reinhart, you might be in a situation like you are now with RNH, kicking yourself for not selling at the peak of his value.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

In this league, the value of youth is unreasonably high, guys like Reinhart and RNH are already considered "old". I've tried to flip RNH but didn't get any bite. Reinhart I'm shopping too but I am in the playoffs so I'm ok with keep him as well.

Interestingly there are a couple young Gs I'm targeting on FA... Askarov and Tarasov are both available for some reason. Part of the reason why I don't think I need to trade now.. just ride with what I have and pick these rookies up.