Thread: (Potential) Demko replacement?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default (Potential) Demko replacement?

The Canucks only place twice next week so hopefully he'll be back in time for fantasy playoffs, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Saros is rounding into form just in time, but Swayman has been inconsistent of late (so much so that, to my immense regret, I benched him for his last two starts against the Leafs ) and you have to be strategic about starting Binnington. So I feel like I need to consider adding another goalie.

The top three options are Stolarz, Brossoit, and Reimer. But I'm not sure I want to spend a roster spot on a backup. Tarasov and Dostal are interesting options, especially in a keeper league, but I don't know if I would trust either of them enough to use them during the playoffs. The final player I'm considering is Kahkonen. But we don't know how the Devils will use him and Allen and while his stats were doubtlessly impacted by how terrible the Sharks is, the Devils aren't actually a huge step up defensively (he went from the worst defensive team to a bottom-third team).

Are any of these guys worth picking up and holding? Or am I better off just using the roster spot to stream or a skater or a goalie as needed (e.g. Stolarz or Brossoit when they get a start).
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: (Potential) Demko replacement?

When do your playoffs start? In 2 of my leagues things get going next week (Mar 11-17), and my other league playoffs begin the following week (Mar 18-24). Also consider if you are in a position to get a BYE in round 1 (one of my leagues does this for the top 2 playoff finalists).

Broissot has some appeal, as he's been very good when called upon and winnipeg will (should) start giving Helly some nights off as real life NHL playoffs approach with the Jets in position to be competitive this year. Stolarz has also been stealing some starts from Bob on a very good Florida team that will likely not be afraid to give Bob some more rest down the stretch. Both of these goalies have B2B scenarios at the end of Week 24 (Mar 18-24) with Winnipeg having 4 games that week and Florida 3.

Tarasov and Dostal play for bad teams and are purely matchup based adds.

I wouldn't be afraid to add Broissoit or Stolarz if you want to be safe if you believe another manager may snatch one of them up. The benefit of adding one now is that they aren't so valuable that you can't drop if you need to, but they're valuable enough to warrant a hold if everything works out.
    ESPN H2H 12-Team Keep 10 (max 2 goalies) - 24 Player roster - Start 9 F, 6 D, 2 G,7 BN, 1 IR
    G A PIM STP SOG FW HIT BLK | W SV SV% SO

F: Robertson, Eichel, Trocheck, Rust, Bratt, Malkin, Boldy, Danault, Zacha, Bennett, Nishuskin
    D: Dahlin, Montour, Gudas, Harley,
    G: Jarry, Bobrovsky, Daccord, Grubauer
    IR: Eriksson Ek

Yahoo H2H Keep 14 - 26 player roster - Start 10 F, 5 D, 2 G, 9 BN, 1 IR, 1 IR+
    G A PIM PPP SOG FOW HIT | W SV SV% SO

F: Robertson, Barkov, MacKinnon, DeBrincat, Batherson, Kyrou, Caufield, Lafreniere, Tippett, Dubois
    D: Josi, Nurse, Trouba, Montour, Larsson
    G: Shesterkin, Oettinger, Grubauer, DeSmith
    IR: Hamilton

Playoffs start the 18th with no byes. I've clinched a playoff spot, but next week does still kind of matter. We have a "President's Trophy" that gives the first place team at the end of the regular season about 30% of the pot. I'm currently in first, but I'm only up by one point, so I want to do well. Unfortunately, neither Florida nor Winnipeg have any back-to-backs.

Brossoit was dropped at the end of the February and Stolarz late last week. So while I like the idea of having a spot for a streamer, it might be better to grab one now for the peace of mind if nothing else.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd go with Stolarz. I picked him up and he seems to be getting quite a few starts for a back up.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's not like I know the future, but while the other names are solid, but "meh" options, Kahkonen strikes me as the one having the potential to turn out to be something special. I know how bad the Devils have been defensively, but they have a newish coach and would have done a lot better with at least average goaltending. If Kahkonen can provide that, he'll have a ton more help up front than on the Sharks and could therefore increase his value immensely. This said, it's anyone's guess how the time share between him and Allen will look in the end. But if you have at least NJ's 1B if not more, I think there's way more to be had value wise compared to the also mentioned backup options....
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Brossoit was dropped at the end of the February and Stolarz late last week. So while I like the idea of having a spot for a streamer, it might be better to grab one now for the peace of mind if nothing else.

A lot to be said about peace of mind.
    I had been streaming Rittich, Stolarz and Brossoit until this last week. My goaltending has been fading. I looked to add one of Rittich, Stolarz, Brossoit. However all have been picked up now. In hindsight (peace of mind) I should have held onto one of the three.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    It's not like I know the future, but while the other names are solid, but "meh" options, Kahkonen strikes me as the one having the potential to turn out to be something special. I know how bad the Devils have been defensively, but they have a newish coach and would have done a lot better with at least average goaltending. If Kahkonen can provide that, he'll have a ton more help up front than on the Sharks and could therefore increase his value immensely. This said, it's anyone's guess how the time share between him and Allen will look in the end. But if you have at least NJ's 1B if not more, I think there's way more to be had value wise compared to the also mentioned backup options....
    Agreed, Kahkonen is definitely interesting considering how well he did with the Wild before they inexplicably shipped him out. He's going on the watchlist, but I don't think now is the time to pick him up for the various reasons that have been discussed.

Sounds like Bob is going to play all three Panthers games this week. Glad I grabbed Brossoit this morning. Now I just have to hope the Jets don't do the same thing with Hellebuyck.