Thread: Zegras trade - keeper deadline tomorrow

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Zegras trade - keeper deadline tomorrow

Hi everyone,

My P Kane and Faber for Zegras?

I'm not keeping Faber but I would keep Zegras. My last keeper is undecided at this point. Both teams are competing but he's far ahead and I won't catch him. Kane would help me fend off a challenger so I can finish in 4th (top 4 out of 12 in the money), no chance of catching the OGM in third. I think I can stay in 4th without Kane, and Zegras is back soon but I'm more interested in his long-term potential.

I was going to ask for a pick upgrade as well but I'm leaning yes.

Thoughts?
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

The Great One

Default Re: Zegras trade - keeper deadline tomorrow

if Faber isn't a keeper, I like Zegras over Kane for sure.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think that's a great shot to take.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. The deal ended up being P Kane and Faber for his Zegras and Couturier, who was a throw in as he wouldn't move a pick.

Yesterday and today I moved out Lafreniere and a 7th for Kane so my totals were:
    Out: Lafreniere, Faber, 7th
    In: Zegras, Couturier, 12th

I know Faber and Kane will be flipped by the OGM at the keeper deadline in the off-season but there was no guarantee I'd get a better return so I'm happy with it. REP'd where I could!
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),

Dobber Sports Superstar

If this is Alexis Lafrenier (you know the #1 overall guy) and not Alex Laferriere (the Kings 3rd round guy) then I'm hesitant to break out the Champagne on this one (:

I like Zegras for sure, but Lafrenier is going to be a player too. Maybe a better player. I will also say that Zegras's value in a multi cat takes a hit whereas Lafrenier will contribute across multiple scoring cats. Then, there is Faber. Pretty impressive season. A lot of people think he is a sell high and I'm likely one of those, but you pretty much sold low. The downgrade on your draft also doesn't make me want to pop the cork on the Champagne bottle. I dunno, unless Zegras turns into something significantly superior to Lafrenier which I'm seriously questioning, then my lack of a warm and fuzzy on the deal is relevant. It's not a deal breaker trade by any means, and I may be dead wrong here (wouldn't be the first time), but this trade is a break even at best and a fail at it's worst IMO.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Yesterday and today I moved out Lafreniere and a 7th for Kane
    Oh no. I'm sorry to say that absent information not revealed, this is a worst-case scenario move. If that happened in my keeper, I would assume that collusion was happening.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Oh no. I'm sorry to say that absent information not revealed, this is a worst-case scenario move. If that happened in my keeper, I would assume that collusion was happening.
    I was trying to be nice and not mention that piece of the goings on ....... big picture so to speak

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. it's always good to hear from multiple angles even when it's negative. To be clear, they were different OGMs. I'll admit I don't do well with asset management and it's something I'm trying to improve on so it's good to head any opinions. Lafreniere had no value in our league and I had tried to trade him earlier this season with no success. OGMs were not interested in opening trade talks if they heard Lareniere's name and I was not going to keep him as he looks (to me) to plateau as a 70 point guy. So when I got the offer I traded him for P Kane purely as a rental so that I could definitely stave off my competition for 4th place. I was fine with that as neither would have been kept and I wanted the higher producer.
    I had wanted to keep Faber until the off-season to trade him, but then got an offer for Zegras from a different OGM, who had been wanting Kane. There was no way Faber would replace one of my 4 rookie keepers so I knew he was a rental too. There was never any champagne involved though It's on me for changing tack and had the deal been Lafreniere for Zegras I would have declined, but that wasn't how it went down. Still, I've liked Zegras for a few years and hopefully it'll work out in the long-run.
    it's good to get all feedback. I run trades by this forum to get second opinions to get that and it's appreciated!
    Team 1:
    12 teams, No salary cap

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. it's always good to hear from multiple angles even when it's negative. To be clear, they were different OGMs. I'll admit I don't do well with asset management and it's something I'm trying to improve on so it's good to head any opinions. Lafreniere had no value in our league and I had tried to trade him earlier this season with no success. OGMs were not interested in opening trade talks if they heard Lareniere's name and I was not going to keep him as he looks (to me) to plateau as a 70 point guy. So when I got the offer I traded him for P Kane purely as a rental so that I could definitely stave off my competition for 4th place. I was fine with that as neither would have been kept and I wanted the higher producer.
    I had wanted to keep Faber until the off-season to trade him, but then got an offer for Zegras from a different OGM, who had been wanting Kane. There was no way Faber would replace one of my 4 rookie keepers so I knew he was a rental too. There was never any champagne involved though It's on me for changing tack and had the deal been Lafreniere for Zegras I would have declined, but that wasn't how it went down. Still, I've liked Zegras for a few years and hopefully it'll work out in the long-run.
    it's good to get all feedback. I run trades by this forum to get second opinions to get that and it's appreciated!
    That helps explain it. If you had a deal structure in place where you made an ostensibly negative-value deal so that you could make the positive-value deal for Zegras you wanted, that has an explanation that works. Because ultimately dealing for Patrick Kane doesn't matter. I would be afraid to make that kind of two-step deals in case the 2nd owner got cold feet only after I made the first deal. If you like Zegras more than Lafreniere, then you can do that deal. My personal perspective is that while I don't see Lafreniere as a 100 pt guy, he (before tonight) had 34 5x5 points in 64 games with very little good power play deployment. If he had been on the Rangers PP1 all year, that's another 15 pts more or less, which gets you to 54 in 64, or 70 point pace. Which at 22 years old is not too bad, leaving room for growth to be a point per game guy. Not to hijack the thread, but the fact that he was getting 3 shots on goal per game last month signals to me that he's finding the right spots to be on the ice to make things happen.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Most often when a trade is put into some context it looks a bit different than it did without that context. That's the case here. What I don't get is the fact that in this league Laffy apparently has zero value? This is a bit weird to me, seriously weird. If Laffy is a bust why is Zegras considerably more valuable? Anyway this does look better than it did, I think this all boils down to which player becomes the better own, Zegras, or Lafreniere. You like Zegras and you may be right, or not, time will tell.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops