Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [TRADE] Hanifin to Golden Knights

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [TRADE] Hanifin to Golden Knights

Regarding the whole cap circumvention thing:

Isn't the bigger cap circumvention issue the fact that many of these trades now involve one team -- or sometimes multiple teams -- "retaining" some portion of the salary being paid to a moved player? So a club could ice a roster that, in reality, is well over the "cap" -- it just doesn't count because some other clubs are picking up part of the tab.

Not sure why this just occurred to me yesterday, and I know this type of maneuver also provides a means for also-rans to build up some draft capital without losing current players or prospects, but it still actually kind of bugs me and seems antithetical to the notion of having a "cap".
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I have to agree with rataylor though. As much as we all can see what's going on, the GMs are the one's who continually let this happen because they won't bother asking to adjust the rules. Vegas has done nothing wrong or illegal. If (and safe to say we can all expect/predict it) Stone shows up in Game one again, like he has the past couple seasons after going on LTIR just before the trade deadline, it's really getting embarrassing for the league.

It is what it is. Chicago started the train. TB followed them and now Vegas has learned how to work the holes. There's a handful of playoff teams today who currently don't have anyone in LTIR, but a lot of them do. This is not just a Vegas issue but a league issue. I have no doubt we'll be discussing this again next year. I wont be surprised it's not Mark Stone again too.
    When you say "they've done nothing wrong", I disagree IF they are intentionally holding him out just to allow them to ice a team over the salary cap. It would be amazing if 2 years in a row Stone is incapable of playing the last regular season game but he is healthy enough to play game 1 of the playoffs. Cheating is an appropriate term.

And twice now you have mentioned Chicago with this. Just to clarify- Chicago was lucky with the timing of Kane's injury in 2015. He broke his collarbone in February and the recovery timeline was initially the 2nd round or WCF. No one questioned his injury or how long he'd be out. The fact that he came back early surprised Hawk Nation and actually there was concern that he was coming back too soon. There was nothing dishonest that Chicago was accused of doing (I know- ironic statement) like Tampa did with Kucherov and Vegas is now seemingly doing twice with Stone.

It's ridiculous that the league has this system which enables teams to do this. The timing of injuries should not determine if a team can load up and go over the salary cap. I'll never view the Tampa, Vegas, and Chicago Cups the same as other teams.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; March 7, 2024 at 1:53 PM. Reason: typo
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

first I heard about the condition on that 2025 1st round pick...so, what does Calgary get if Vegas trades that pick to someone else?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    first I heard about the condition on that 2025 1st round pick...so, what does Calgary get if Vegas trades that pick to someone else?
    2025 1st (if it's moved by March 10th or the pick ends up top 10, Calgary receives 2026 1st)
    2025 3rd (If Vegas wins 1 round in 2023-24 playoffs, it upgrades to a 2025 2nd)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    When you say "they've done nothing wrong", I disagree IF they are intentionally holding him out just to allow them to ice a team over the salary cap. It would be amazing if 2 years in a row Stone is incapable of playing the last regular season game but he is healthy enough to play game 1 of the playoffs. Cheating is an appropriate term.

And twice now you have mentioned Chicago with this. Just to clarify- Chicago was lucky with the timing of Kane's injury in 2015. He broke his collarbone in February and the recovery timeline was initially the 2nd round or WCF. No one questioned his injury or how long he'd be out. The fact that he came back early surprised Hawk Nation and actually there was concern that he was coming back too soon. There was nothing dishonest that Chicago was accused of doing (I know- ironic statement) like Tampa did with Kucherov and Vegas is now seemingly doing twice with Stone.

It's ridiculous that the league has this system which enables teams to do this. The timing of injuries should not determine if a team can load up and go over the salary cap. I'll never view the Tampa, Vegas, and Chicago Cups the same as other teams.
    It is hilarious how consistently fan-brained this response is. It's amazing that Patrick Kane was incapable of playing game 82 of the regular season but he was healthy enough to play game 1 of the playoffs.

Mark Stone suffered a lacerated spleen on February 20. The recovery timeline for a lacerated spleen is 2-3 months. 2 months is April 20. The NHL regular season ends April 18. There's no magic here it's just literally medicine and recovery timelines.

It's like people forget that Patrice Bergeron played with a punctured lung. He probably shouldn't have been playing at all, but it's reasonable that he might play through that in the playoffs but wouldn't play through it in the regular season! None of this is fishy at all it's logical! People just want to twist themselves into pretzels over it and make themselves look like idiots in the process.

Dobber Sports Sage

LTIR is just one aspect.

Teams still don't fully take advantage of how cap is pro rated to really load up at trade deadline. Waiting for that.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    LTIR is just one aspect.

Teams still don't fully take advantage of how cap is pro rated to really load up at trade deadline. Waiting for that.
    The only ones who can do that are teams who aren't using LTIR.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The only ones who can do that are teams who aren't using LTIR.
    You can do both.
    If injury were to happen use regular cap space (then maybe some LTIR) to add a player (most effective close to trade deadline time). When trade deadline rolls around add more players.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24