Thread: NA Stash Recommendations

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default NA Stash Recommendations

With Seguin out week-to-week, I'm going to risk moving Stankoven out of my NA slot and I'm looking for someone to grab in his place. We play on Yahoo, so only players with an NHL contract are available (no Ryan Leonard, sadly).

These are the players who are currently rostered: Lukas Reichel, Jesper Wallstedt, Jack Campbell, Spencer Knight, Yaroslav Askarov, Devon Levi, and Dustin Wolf.

Given that six of the seven players are goalies, my immediate thought was Sebastian Cossa, but goalie prospects are such wildcards and can take so long to develop. I'm thinking I want to go in another direction.

Edvinsson, Zellwegger, and Jiricek are all options, but between Bouchard, Seider, and Clarke I feel like I'm pretty well set for young D-men.

As for forwards, there's Matt Savoie, Jiri Kulich, Mavrik Bourque. Brennan Othmann is intriguing in a banger league.

Anyone I'm missing? Thoughts on who the best choice might be?
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: NA Stash Recommendations

Devon Levi for me, who I think will get a huge amount of starts for Buffalo next season.
    You just have to hope he's still NA when you get to end of regular season... and I doubt he will be.

In my own Yahoo league with NA, I'm holding Askarov (NSH).
    I think it's pretty safe he stays in AHL for the year.
    Nashville has Saros & Lankinen - and they probably want that veteran presence right thru their playoff charge.

Also - Askarov and the Milwaukee Admirals are on like a 19 or 20 game win streak.
    Confidence is BUILDING. Hot damn.

The seven players I listed (including Levi and Askarov) are already rostered.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Othmann is an interesting options in a banger league.

With the Rangers losing Wheeler, it is possible that Othmann gets a taste of NHL action coming up.
    But that doesn't help you keeping him in your NA slot - depending on your rules.

I also really like the idea of Coronato.
    He is scoring over a point per game in the AHL and Calgary is moving people out at the trade deadline.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

No issues having in my NA slot while he's active, other than Yahoo preventing me from making any moves.

I picked up Coronato when he stuck with the team out of training camp but dropped him as he was pretty underwhelming. He kind of fell off my radar after that. I'll have to take a look at how he's been doing in the AHL since.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well - if your leaguemates aren't "insanely" keen... then what you can do is wait for the end of the NCAA hockey season.
    Several high-end kids have their NCAA seasons end and then sign in March or April and join their NHL club for playoffs.
    Here's current NCAA scoring leaders - some of these names you'll recognize:
    https://www.ncaa.com/stats/icehockey.../individual/99

Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar both did this a few seasons ago.
    Owen Power and Matty Beniers too.
    [Makar wasn't added, thankfully, to the Yahoo database... or some of us would've missed out on him. Quinn Hughes was... and I missed him to the only other GM that was on the lookout for this - who had better waiver#.]
    And these players weren't in the Yahoo! database until they are officially "pro"... which is when they sign.

In my Yahoo! league, the guys are all sharp Dobber guys - and it was unfair to just let a high-end guy go to whoever had highest waiver priority.
    So we just banned that ability.

But in most leagues - they haven't implemented that rule.
    So...

Cutter Gauthier... now with ANA... is playing for Boston College - when their season ends, he may sign.
    Will Smith (#4 pick in 2023 draft, SJ)... is playing with the USNTDP linemates: Gabe Perreault & Ryan Leonard at Boston College too.
    I would say there's a good chance all FOUR of these guys sign at end of season.

Rutger McGroarty, WPG, may also sign from Michigan - and Winnipeg might actually consider using them considering their lack of 3rd/4th line scoring.

And finally, there's Lane Hutson with Boston - highly coveted offensive D-man drafted by Montreal.
    I'd say he's the most likely guy to sign... but, he might not be that much of a prize in HIT/BLK leagues.

Personally, I'm going Cutter Gauthier first... then Ryan Leonard... if they sign.

LAST TIP: Don't "shoot your load" in front of everybody and give away the secret.
    Michigan may miss the NCAA tournament - so McGroarty may be first to sign and be added to Yahoo database.
    If you claim him, you bring everybody to the attention that new players were just added.

Wait. Be patient. Perhaps 1-2 days after BC gets eliminated, those kids will sign, and in 3-4 days they'll come onto Yahoo! database.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    LAST TIP: Don't "shoot your load" in front of everybody and give away the secret.
    Michigan may miss the NCAA tournament - so McGroarty may be first to sign and be added to Yahoo database.
    If you claim him, you bring everybody to the attention that new players were just added.

Wait. Be patient. Perhaps 1-2 days after BC gets eliminated, those kids will sign, and in 3-4 days they'll come onto Yahoo! database.

Good luck.
    I picked Owen Power a couple of years ago after he signed his ELC and now grabbing NCAA players when they sign is a thing in this league. I missed out on Levi last season because someone with a higher waiver priority claimed him.