Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Athletic's Farm System Rankings

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Athletic's Farm System Rankings

Scott Wheeler has been rolling through his yearly farm system rankings and releasing one every day. They're finally at the top 5 so thought I would post. Each article has a TON of depth. Top 15 prospects per team and a very detailed criteria.

32. NY Islanders
    31. Ottawa
    30. Boston
    29. Tampa
    28. Toronto
    27. Pittsburgh
    26. Colorado
    25. Edmonton
    24. Florida
    23. Vegas
    22. New Jersey
    21. Dallas
    20. Washington
    19. NY Rangers
    18. Vancouver
    17. Los Angeles
    16. Winnipeg
    15. Calgary
    14. St Louis
    13. Carolina
    12. Seattle
    11. Minnesota
    10. Montreal
    9. Arizona
    8. Nashville
    7. Chicago
    6. Philadelphia
    5. Anaheim
    4. San Jose
    3. Columbus
    2. Detroit
    1. Buffalo

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Athletic's Farm System Rankings

my eyes immediately went to the bottom searching for the isles

Dobber Sports Immortal

Here is the criteria he uses.
    Criteria
    To be eligible for inclusion, a skater must:

Be under 23 years old. We know that by the time a player turns 23, he is largely done with the steep upward progression we see in prospects and will begin to plateau.
    Not be a full-time NHL player. This is the arbitrary section of the criteria. Here, I trust my judgment for whether or not a rostered NHL player is still likely to bounce between levels more than I trust any pre-determined games played cutoff. Preference for inclusion as an NHL prospect is more likely to be given to teenagers than 22-year-olds.
    Either be signed to an NHL contract or selected in the entry draft, without the expiration of either of those rights. Players who are signed to AHL contracts are not considered.
    To be eligible for inclusion, a goalie must:

Be under 25 years old. This age criteria is more reflective of the typical goalie trajectory, allowing for the continued consideration of a small number of 23- and 24-year-old goalies who are very much still prospects.
    Not currently established as one of their NHL club’s two go-to options.
    Either be signed to an NHL contract or selected in the entry draft, without the expiration of either of those rights. Goalies who are signed to AHL contracts are not considered

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Scott Wheeler has been rolling through his yearly farm system rankings and releasing one every day. They're finally at the top 5 so thought I would post.
    It's interesting to see, but it's a bit odd system he uses. Detroit is in the top 5 this year too, maybe foremost due to their prospects not being graduated like in some teams they're ahead of. All those teams drafting 1-3 and having their rookies in the NHL skews the picture when some teams can't graduate their decent but not great prospects for a few years. The latter's prospect pools appear a bit inflated.

Dobber Sports Immortal

For sure. He does say he takes into account if he suspects a player will bounce back and forth. Will be interesting to see if someone like Benson is on Buffalo's list.

But yes Detroit is inflated because Edvinsson is still in the AHL. Based on the criteria they might even be #1.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Boy... Ottawa... they just keep looking like they have the pieces... and just keep not clicking.
    Shocking for me how many losses they have this year with their top6 and 3D.

Dobber Sports Ace

The only thing I don't like about the Athletic's rankings is they tend to weight the blue chip prospects too heavily. A team only needs 1 or 2 to be 10 spots ahead of a team that has a well stocked pool of slightly lesser caliber prospects. Carolina is a good example, if Kochetkov is included they move up 10 spots but Carolina has excellent depth at most positions, they can pretty much choose their favorites whereas a team like Chicago is really counting on 2 or 3 guys to hit their projections.

Philadelphia? Really? Everyone not named Barkey and Michkov is already in the show.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post

Philadelphia? Really? Everyone not named Barkey and Michkov is already in the show.
    I was very surprised to see this as well. Philly at 6.

I mean I love it as a Flyers fan... I just wasn't expecting it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

The only thing I don't like about the Athletic's rankings is they tend to weight the blue chip prospects too heavily. A team only needs 1 or 2 to be 10 spots ahead of a team that has a well stocked pool of slightly lesser caliber prospects. Carolina is a good example, if Kochetkov is included they move up 10 spots but Carolina has excellent depth at most positions, they can pretty much choose their favorites whereas a team like Chicago is really counting on 2 or 3 guys to hit their projections.

Did you read the criteria to be ranked?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Did you read the criteria to be ranked?
    I've been reading it for several years now, I just don't agree with it. If they're counting York, Drysdale, Foerster, Ersson, Brink, Poehling, Tippet, than they're probably up there, but they're also going to drop 20 spots next year based on the same criteria... Which is why I don't like it.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Immortal

It's ranking the farm system. Not players under 23.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Surprised the Sharks aren't ahead of CBJ.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've been reading it for several years now, I just don't agree with it. If they're counting York, Drysdale, Foerster, Ersson, Brink, Poehling, Tippet, than they're probably up there, but they're also going to drop 20 spots next year based on the same criteria... Which is why I don't like it.
    Gotcha. I was confused by your comment.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not to confuse things further, but they're not counting York, Drysdale, Foerster, Ersson, [Brink], Poehling, Tippet in the list, which is why there's some puzzlement about Philly being so high on the list.
    nr 6: Philly:s top 5 prospects

1 Matvei Michkov RW 19 Sochi
    2 Oliver Bonk RHD 18 London
    3 Bobby Brink RW 22 Philadelphia/Lehigh Valley
    4 Emil Andrae LHD 21 HV71
    5 Massimo Rizzo C 22 U. of Denver

They'll likely drop a lot once Michkov joins the team, yes. Brink still in the list though, so not quite accurate above statement..

Detroit is top 3 apparently, maybe even number one despite not having the star prospects, but still four recent round one draft picks.

edited

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Not to confuse things further, but they're not counting York, Drysdale, Foerster, Ersson, Brink, Poehling, Tippet in the list, which is why there's some puzzlement about Philly being so high on the list.
    nr 6: Philly:s top 5 prospects

1 Matvei Michkov RW 19 Sochi
    2 Oliver Bonk RHD 18 London
    3 Bobby Brink RW 22 Philadelphia/Lehigh Valley
    4 Emil Andrae LHD 21 HV71
    5 Massimo Rizzo C 22 U. of Denver

They'll likely drop a lot once Michkov joins the team, yes.
    Well, much like Button's rankings that most like to crap on, this is his opinion I guess. He clearly sees Michikov pulling Philly up the ranking.