5 50.00%
  • Sanderson

2 20.00%
  • Batherson

3 30.00%

Thread: Ranking three potential keepers

Dobber Sports Initiate

Question Ranking three potential keepers

Keeper selection is restricted by where they're drafted in our league, 11th round and after only, which makes good keepers tougher to come by.
    I've got a few good ones I intend to keep, but also a few to decide between.

How would you rank these as keepers in my league, or from a general keeper perspective?

Thomas Harley - rank 150, owned 68%
    Jake Sanderson - rank 257, owned 52%
    Drake Batherson - rank 207, owned 66%

League settings in signature.
    Yahoo Limited keeper: keep up to 8 players from the preceding season, but 2 of them has to be dropped at the end of the season, decided before the start. 'Keep eligible players' from draft round 11 and later, or undrafted.
    16 team league. H2H. League cats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP SOG FW HIT BLK; W GAA SV SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench, 2IR
    Keepers 23/24 + cost of keeping. M Seider 2, B Tkachuk 5, D Batherson 4, D Cozens 1, W Johnston 1, F Gustavsson 1. Drafted and keep eligible: J Sanderson, T Harley, J Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Ranking three potential keepers

I expect Sanderson to improve quite a bit over the coming years, but in terms of fantasy, it's tougher to tell.
    Drake Batherson looked like he'd develop into a pretty good rw/lw with a good amount of hits and pims along with points/shots etc, but has he plateaued already or are the best years ahead?
    Thomas Harley has produced a lot better than expected alongside Heiskanen who is perceived as a roadblock, but maybe it's a Quinn Hughes/Hronek synergy instead. Harley has looked great on all the goals he's produced. Will he continue to be better than Sanderson?

For fantasy purposes, I think the ranking above may be right going forward, but I could be off on Harley's vs Sanderson's talent level.

Dobber Sports Icon

Sanderson I think is the best keeper of the 3.

Harley is a terrific young Dman, but I’m going Batherson over him. He’s having a mediocre season (especially lately, one had to wonder whether external events have affected his mindset) - but he is a core guy on that emerging Sens crew and when that PP is finally among the league leaders he’ll be right there with Stutzle, Brady, Norris and likely Sanderson on PP1.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Batherson hasn't (yet) developed the way we'd hoped, but even though it seems he was uninvolved in the whole Hockey Canada thing, we can't discount the possibility of it impacting him mentally. I wouldn't give up on him yet, as we've gotten a glimpse of the kind of banger league asset he can be.

For me, it comes down to Sanderson or Harley as the drop and I'd probably choose to Sanderson although I think it's a coin flip. Harley is never going to overtake Heiskanen as the #1 guy in Dallas but the Sens have a ton of offensive defensemen (Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, and even Brannstrom), so Sanderson is going to be constantly having to fight to hang on to his top-pairing/PP1 spot.

Ideally I would look to trade Sanderson or one of the others, rather than give them up for nothing. So it might come down to who you can get the best deal for.
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thank you for the insights. Rep where I could.

It's kind of how my thoughts go too. Maybe my expectations have sunk a bit too low on Batherson after having him as a keeper for the past four seasons, where he's been good, but never taken that next step. The one I think people may be sleeping on is Harley, but it's tough to tell where these will end up comparatively. Still a good time until decisions need to be made.