Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: AM34 running away with the Hart

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: AM34 running away with the Hart

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    If you score 70 but only have 30 assists there's no way you should win the Hart especially when your team is barely top 10 in the league.
    but without his scoring they would be below top 20…. Isn’t that true definition of MVP?
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

The more I think about it if he scores 70+ I think he wins it. However if he's even at 69 goals, and Kuch/Mack or 130+ points then I think it goes to one of them. It's weird but we our sports people but that number of 70 just has so much meaning.

Also as a side note I think Ovi would of hit 70 if he played in his prime now. Look what he has done since Matthews has entered the league. He has 4 Rockets, on the back 9 of his career. It's easier to score now, then when Ovi/Crosby entered the NHL.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Initiate

He's not running away with anything.

But from Elliot Friedman this morning about guys who bagged 70+ goals and not win the Hart.
    Lemiuex didn't win when he had 85 goals in 1989, Gretzky won with his 168 pts. Bernie Nichols also had 70 goals that yr.
    Selanne & Mogilny with 76 goals each lost to Lemiuex with his 69 goals and 160 pts in 60 games

Hull lost both times he broke 70 (72 & 70) to Mark Messier 129 pts and 107 pts (his 1st season in NYR)

Esposito lost to Orr in 1971. That's the year Orr went off for 37 goals, 102 assists

100% Matthews is in the running, but is not running away with it.
    To win he must maintain his current goal & pt pace or most likely improve it.
    That's without Kuch, Mack or McD doing their own improvements.
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by TheDard View Post
    He's not running away with anything.

But from Elliot Friedman this morning about guys who bagged 70+ goals and not win the Hart.
    Lemiuex didn't win when he had 85 goals in 1989, Gretzky won with his 168 pts. Bernie Nichols also had 70 goals that yr.
    Selanne & Mogilny with 76 goals each lost to Lemiuex with his 69 goals and 160 pts in 60 games

Hull lost both times he broke 70 (72 & 70) to Mark Messier 129 pts and 107 pts (his 1st season in NYR)

Esposito lost to Orr in 1971. That's the year Orr went off for 37 goals, 102 assists

100% Matthews is in the running, but is not running away with it.
    To win he must maintain his current goal & pt pace or most likely improve it.
    That's without Kuch, Mack or McD doing their own improvements.
    You're comparing different eras when there were a handful of players posting 60-80 goals every year, therefore not making it that special. If Hull's scoring 70 when there are 3-4 players in the 60's then it's not that special.

Today... NOBODY will even be close to 70. He's in another stratosphere as someone above put it.

Again - it's all relative to how rare the feat is. Very common to have 120-130 pt scorers in this day and age, however nobody is even close to sniffing 70. Now if McJesus is having a 150 pt season then that's a different convo.

Dobber Sports Superstar

70 goals and over 130 points are both incredible.
    70 goals has been done 14 times by 8 players. Only Hull, Lemieux and Gretzky have multiples. Most recent was Alexander Mogilny and Teemu Selanne both in 1993.

130+ points has been done 50 times, by a bunch of guys.
    140+ has been done 25 times, by 10 players. The last one (other than McDavid's 153 last year) was Lemieux (161) and Jagr(149) in 1996.

So I would suggest 70 goals is equal to 140 points.
    I think AM wins the Hart if he hits 70 goals over a 130 point player and probably even over a 140 point player (especially if that player happens to be McDavid due to fatigue).
    65 goals vs. 130 would be a tougher decision and looks at all the extra factors of team standings etc.

I think AM is the current front runner because his Goal total is a massive outlier to all others (+12 on Sam Reinhart 30% higher)and Kuch/Mac/McDavid are in proximity to each other and will all be under McDavid's 153 total from last year.
    Yes I'm including McDavid for now, he's only 9 points back of Kucherov's leading 94P and the Oilers have 4 games in hand on Tampa and Colorado.
    From a team perspective: Colorado is the strongest and is likely a playoff team without Mac. The other 3 teams are 3rd-WC and rely heavily on their superstar for offence, another edge to AM/Kuch/McD.

On a semi related note, this year will likely have a player with the claim to "Strongest Not a Hart Finalist" in a very long time, possibly ever.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Initiate

That's how the NHL works. They compare against previous teams, players and era's.
    But what I listed is just highlighting what has occurred previously; thus setting what could be used as precedent for voters.

You don't have to like it, but it's just the facts.
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by TheDard View Post
    That's how the NHL works. They compare against previous teams, players and era's.
    But what I listed is just highlighting what has occurred previously; thus setting what could be used as precedent for voters.

You don't have to like it, but it's just the facts.
    Facts are useless without context. Especially across eras.

And that's not how awards voting works. Nobody voting today gives a shit about Hull not winning it with 70 goals in 1970. The voting is done by media writers not historians.

It's all about what's happened recently. McJesus fatigue is a good example... Mack as the sentimental fav because he's "due" after being runner-up a dozen times is another.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Another aspect - difference between teammates.
    AM: 51g, 24a, 75p
    W Nylander: 31, 43, 74p
    M Marner: 22, 46, 68p

McDavid: 21, 64, 85p
    Draisaitl: 21, 47, 68p
    Bouchard & Hyman: both 53p

MacKinnon: 33, 59, 92p
    Rantanen: 29, 52, 81p
    Makar: 13, 47, 60p

Kucherov: 36, 58, 94p
    B Point: 28, 30, 58p
    Hedman & Hagel: 54p & 53p

Kucherovs production looks more MVP-like compared to Matthews from this perspective. Where would TB be without him?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Another aspect - difference between teammates.
    AM: 51g, 24a, 75p
    W Nylander: 31, 43, 74p
    M Marner: 22, 46, 68p

McDavid: 21, 64, 85p
    Draisaitl: 21, 47, 68p
    Bouchard & Hyman: both 53p

MacKinnon: 33, 59, 92p
    Rantanen: 29, 52, 81p
    Makar: 13, 47, 60p

Kucherov: 36, 58, 94p
    B Point: 28, 30, 58p
    Hedman & Hagel: 54p & 53p

Kucherovs production looks more MVP-like compared to Matthews from this perspective. Where would TB be without him?
    This is a valid point. But as I said, Kucherov's amazingness is lessened somewhat by the comparable amazingness of MacKinnon. What Matthews is doing is incomparable. And I think some voters will say that McDavid is still the best of the best and will vote for him almost reflexively, but those who'd do that likely would vote for Mac or Kuch instead. Long story short, I just feel that there will be too many split votes among the other three, whereas there will be a defined group solidly in the camp of the guy who's an unstoppable goal machine. Plus - and I know it sounds kind of like simple logic - scoring goals is harder than getting assists, isn't it?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    This is a valid point. But as I said, Kucherov's amazingness is lessened somewhat by the comparable amazingness of MacKinnon. What Matthews is doing is incomparable. And I think some voters will say that McDavid is still the best of the best and will vote for him almost reflexively, but those who'd do that likely would vote for Mac or Kuch instead. Long story short, I just feel that there will be too many split votes among the other three, whereas there will be a defined group solidly in the camp of the guy who's an unstoppable goal machine. Plus - and I know it sounds kind of like simple logic - scoring goals is harder than getting assists, isn't it?
    Is it? Someone has to score a goal for you to get that assist. If its so easy why does AM only have 24 of them? His teammates are no slouches.

Kucherov has 36 primary assists. McDavid is the only one ahead of him with 39.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Wizard

Because he is the trigger man… his linesmen combined have about 10% less shots than Matthews alone…
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

Matthews today has 12 more goals than the 2nd place guy. At this pace, by the end of the season Reinhart will have 57goals. Matthews is on pace for 76goals. He's on pace for almost 20 more goals than 2nd place.

The difference between the highest goal scorer and 2nd highest over the years:
    2022-23: 3
    2021-22: 5
    2020-21: 8 (COVID shortened year)
    2019-20: 0 (COVID shortened year)
    2018-19: 1
    2017-18: 5
    2016-17: 4
    2015-16: 4
    2014-15: 10
    2013-14: 8
    avg: 4.8

In 2013-14, Ovi had 51G, and 19G away would be the 15th most goals that year. The 15th goal score in 2023-24 season (prorated) would be 35goals away from Matthews. Reinhart's goal scoring, in comparison to everyone but Matthews, is in line with a normal goal scoring race. This is like the COVID year with McDavid and points, but with Matthews and goals.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Matthews today has 12 more goals than the 2nd place guy. At this pace, by the end of the season Reinhart will have 57goals. Matthews is on pace for 76goals. He's on pace for almost 20 more goals than 2nd place.

The difference between the highest goal scorer and 2nd highest over the years:
    2022-23: 3
    2021-22: 5
    2020-21: 8 (COVID shortened year)
    2019-20: 0 (COVID shortened year)
    2018-19: 1
    2017-18: 5
    2016-17: 4
    2015-16: 4
    2014-15: 10
    2013-14: 8
    avg: 4.8

In 2013-14, Ovi had 51G, and 19G away would be the 15th most goals that year. The 15th goal score in 2023-24 season (prorated) would be 35goals away from Matthews. Reinhart's goal scoring, in comparison to everyone but Matthews, is in line with a normal goal scoring race. This is like the COVID year with McDavid and points, but with Matthews and goals.
    All the more reason why Matthews will be seen as "above and beyond" whereas Kucherov and MacKinnon might be deemed comparable. Could voters seize upon the fact that Kucherov does indeed have a BUNCH more points than anyone else on his team, seemingly fitting the "most valuable" label? Quite possibly. I'm no baseball expert, but I'd venture to say that more guys who led the majors in home runs have won MVP in years despite not even being in the top ten in hits.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Something else to consider is AM34 has zero empty net goals. Mac has 7 empty net points, and McDavid and Kucherov both have 5. No freebies for Matthews....

Dobber Sports Titan

I also think the voters don't take nearly as much time as we have. It's very surface level research for these voters.
    Mac - "OMG Mac fast. Mac has home point streak"
    McDavid - "He god"
    Matthews - "Puck go in net lots"
    Kucherov - "He look like he don't try and still score"

Talking about these difference between other players, I don't think these voters get as deep into analyzing a players as my one post above (#27), let alone an actual discussion with strangers. If they talk, it's likely a bit of an echo chamber
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll