Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: AM34 running away with the Hart

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: AM34 running away with the Hart

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Mack was always the default assuming the race remained close. He's been the "bridesmaid" the past 5 years... he's the feel good and sentimental choice. None of the writers wants to be the ******* who gives it to McJesus for the umpteenth time or the douchebag Kuch who already has his turn.

Someone would have to beat him decisively in points (ie: by 15+) or do something truly unique (like 70+ goals) to take it away from him this year.
    I think it's gross turning it into a lifetime achievement award. But it show's the pettiness of some of the voters. If Kuch win's the Art he should get it, but since he didn't try at a skills competition your going to deny him an award that has no correlation? If you want Mackinnon to win a lifetime achievement award, give him the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy instead.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

The Great One

If there are truly super elite players who will win it more often than not based on pure numbers, then much like the Oscars with movies and the Emmys with TV you might indeed get situations where there is someone who's been great but not quite great enough winning if there is any reasonable basis to award it to him. Like CanucksFan18 said, ala a Lifetime Achievement Award of sorts. On the other hand, if a player like McDavid stays amazing for a long time, then you could kind of go full circle and they might look for excuses to give it to him as a way to ensure he gets to 7, putting him second to only Gretzky for the all-time number of wins.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

MacKinnon's ability to stay healthy this year is paying off big time on his path to getting his first Hart.
    McDavid is going to hit 100 assists that has only been done by three other players in history.
    As big as an achievement that is, his goal total just isn't there. Odd that he can go from 64 goals the year before to one of his lowest output yet (while still in his prime).
    And then Matthews is like oh you one up'd me last season, well watch this!

Strictly stat wise this is between Kuch and MacKinnon, but still some hockey left for McDavid to catch them (then Matthews even further behind McDavid)

Actually all four have not been missing games this year which is amazing!
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If it was a lifetime achievement award Crosby would win it for the masterful performance he's putting in this season.

If Mackinnon wins it over Kucherov, or Matthews over McDavid, that's not a lifetime achievement award that's just....reasonable.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Actually all four have not been missing games this year which is amazing!
    McDavid missed 2 games way back in OCT

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    If it was a lifetime achievement award Crosby would win it for the masterful performance he's putting in this season.

If Mackinnon wins it over Kucherov, or Matthews over McDavid, that's not a lifetime achievement award that's just....reasonable.
    The point of the "lifetime achievement" argument is to award it to someone who is very talented and in the conversation, and, most importantly, might never be an arguably deserving candidate again either due to age or their role ending. It's why Pacino won Best Actor for "Scent of a Woman" and Jeff Bridges for "Crazy Heart" as for each it was far from their best ever performance but they'd achieved a long and continuous body of success to nudge the voters to give it to them plus it was a risk they'd never have a real shot at winning again. Another example was Jon Hamm winning the Best Actor Emmy in 2015 since it was a seminal role and he'd never won despite being nominated seven previous times and, most importantly, it was already known to be the final season of Mad Men.

Mac and Matthews are not "old" by any means and it's possible they could equal if not surpass what they're doing this season again. But Mac is at or even a bit past his peak, and Matthews is nearing it, so voters might see that and be swayed to one of them over McDavid or Kucherov if all things are otherwise comparable.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    McDavid missed 2 games way back in OCT
    and Kucherov has missed 1 game. Whoopy shit.

In the two previous seasons:
    Kucherov has missed a total of 35 games (did play 82 games last season)
    MacKinnon has missed a total of 28 games
    Matthews has missed a total of 17 games

McDavid is the only that's been healthy the two previous seasons (missing only 2 games).

Point is we finally have all 4 of them being healthy for the full season, making this an incredible battle to watch.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    and Kucherov has missed 1 game. Whoopy shit.

In the two previous seasons:
    Kucherov has missed a total of 35 games (did play 82 games last season)
    MacKinnon has missed a total of 28 games
    Matthews has missed a total of 17 games

McDavid is the only that's been healthy the two previous seasons (missing only 2 games).

Point is we finally have all 4 of them being healthy for the full season, making this an incredible battle to watch.
    Keep in mind there is precedent for a player winning the Hart despite missing chunks of time. Lemieux won it once playing 60 games and another time playing only 70. But over the last 20 years, the lowest games played total of a non-goalie winner was Matthews with 73.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Entering today's games:

MacKinnon - 127 points (47G) - 7 Games Remaining
    Kucherov - 127 points (42 G) - 8 GR
    McDavid - 126 points (29G) - 9 GR
    *tie-breaker for Art Ross trophy is most goals

Matthews 62G (10 lead), 98 points - 8 GR

I think you can make a reasonable argument for any of these 4 to win the Hart, and really a reasonable argument for these 4 to finish in any order.
    Currently, I like MacKinnon to win it based on the highest Goal total of the 3 Art Ross contenders and the sympathy of never having won it.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Entering today's games:

MacKinnon - 127 points (47G) - 7 Games Remaining
    Kucherov - 127 points (42 G) - 8 GR
    McDavid - 126 points (29G) - 9 GR
    *tie-breaker for Art Ross trophy is most goals

Matthews 62G (10 lead), 98 points - 8 GR

I think you can make a reasonable argument for any of these 4 to win the Hart, and really a reasonable argument for these 4 to finish in any order.
    Currently, I like MacKinnon to win it based on the highest Goal total of the 3 Art Ross contenders and the sympathy of never having won it.
    Seeing this, I wonder now if Matthews even wins it if he hits 70. If his goals total was far and away above the next highest player maybe, but it's not stratopherically high. And his lack of overall scoring is not gonna help him, nor is the fact he's already won one.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Payback and a little Karma.
    Would love to see MacKinnon win the Hart. It’s just payback for me trading him at the beginning of the season for Draisaitl. Payback and a little Karma as the GM I traded him to is about to knock me out of the playoffs in the second round. Thank goodness Fantasy Hockey isn’t my day job.
    Gotta love life. Lol.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Genius

Kuch now has a 130 points and leads the league. The next closet player in point production on his team is Point with 83 points, 47 points behind him. If Kucherov missed this year Tampa is probably close to a lottery team. If Mackinnon missed the year, Colorado still makes the playoffs as a wildcard team.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Kuch now has a 130 points and leads the league. The next closet player in point production on his team is Point with 83 points, 47 points behind him. If Kucherov missed this year Tampa is probably close to a lottery team. If Mackinnon missed the year, Colorado still makes the playoffs as a wildcard team.
    I agree that if that isn't compelling evidence of "valuable" then I'm not sure what is. The issue is Kucherov lacks buzz or fanfare, and isn't a "sexy" pick. And he has won previously, as have McDavid and Matthews, whereas Mac hasn't. Not only that, but the writers likely realize it's an aberration that Mac stayed healthy all season, so if they don't give it to him now he might not get another chance.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I agree that if that isn't compelling evidence of "valuable" then I'm not sure what is. The issue is Kucherov lacks buzz or fanfare, and isn't a "sexy" pick. And he has won previously, as have McDavid and Matthews, whereas Mac hasn't. Not only that, but the writers likely realize it's an aberration that Mac stayed healthy all season, so if they don't give it to him now he might not get another chance.
    I know your just projecting what the writers are thinking and this isn't your opinion persay but I say tough crap to that. If this is the only time Mack has been healthy, and looks like his last real chance to win one then too bad. This is sports not like as has been pointed out acting or art. There shouldn't be room for nuance besides the actual on ice performance.

And for the record I still think Mack is right there, I just think Kuch is more deserving and getting as you have mentioned very little fanfare.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I know your just projecting what the writers are thinking and this isn't your opinion persay but I say tough crap to that. If this is the only time Mack has been healthy, and looks like his last real chance to win one then too bad. This is sports not like as has been pointed out acting or art. There shouldn't be room for nuance besides the actual on ice performance.

And for the record I still think Mack is right there, I just think Kuch is more deserving and getting as you have mentioned very little fanfare.
    You're not wrong. But whether in entertainment or sports, I do feel the voters seemingly pause to consider - and, ultimately, might be swayed by - whether this could be the last time a very skilled player with a long track record of top tier success might be in the conversation for winning this award.

Look at 2001 for example - Jagr was better statistically than Sakic, but Sakic was an elite player who had always been great but never superb, plus was already 30 years old, and Jagr had already won a Hart. And lo and behold Sakic won. Or 1990, where they gave it to Messier, who was arguably not on a par with Gretzky but hadn't won one to that point, was 29 years old and had logged very strong career numbers. Yes, Messier went on to win another, but Sakic didn't. I think MacKinnon is comparable to those examples, especially 2001 in that he's very close to Kucherov.