Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blue Jackets fire GM Kekalainen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Blue Jackets fire GM Kekalainen

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Davidson is the real problem in Columbus, so this is nothing more than a fall guy. This move won't really change anything with the organization.
    I was thinking the same. Davidson is getting a free pass here
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Grand Master

When you have a PoHO, the GM isn't making the call to hire a guy like Babcock. Handling of Jiricek/Johnson isn't a GM independent call. Everything you could criticize Jarmo for has Davidson's hands all over it. Which doesn't mean Jarmo is a good GM. He's a good head scout but idk if he has GM chops.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    When you have a PoHO, the GM isn't making the call to hire a guy like Babcock. Handling of Jiricek/Johnson isn't a GM independent call. Everything you could criticize Jarmo for has Davidson's hands all over it. Which doesn't mean Jarmo is a good GM. He's a good head scout but idk if he has GM chops.
    All correct and Davidson deserves as much if not more blame. Frankly, both should be gone and they should turn it over to a new fresh team.

I’m telling you now I could easily see a guy like Erik Tulski from Carolina be a terrific fit there, a statistics genius, but also young and probably is going to mesh much better with that young emerging roster.

But they’ll probably do the obvious and turn it over to Rick Nash, despite his lack of experience.

and by the way, I totally agree with your assessment, I think he’s actually a really good player, evaluator and scout, but the GM experiment failed.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

PoHO guys usually get a leash for 2-3 GM replacements, especially if the owner rep likes the guy.
    PHI's owner's rep (Dave Scott) was like this with Paul Holmgren.
    Holmgren, the long-time PHI GM got promoted to hockeyOps and got to cycle through two GMs Hextall (2014-2018) and Fletcher (2018-2023).
    So Holmgren got to ride that train for 9 years!

Eventually the owners do get a vibe from the fan base that they need a "broader" change.

And this said, I think owners usually wait for offseason to change their Hockey Ops dept.
    So... Davidson might have gained at least a 1/2 year and maybe 1-1/2 years with this change.

If my internet research is correct, CBJ is primarily owned by the McConnell family (JohnP) - who gifted into a steel company called Worthington founded by his father JohnH.
    (My 2nd job out of college was with a Worthington company)

Anyway - the elder JohnP is about 69-70 years old, about the same age as John Davidson... so, they are probably "buds".
    JohnP has been CEO worth Worthington since 1993 (~30 years!), stepped down in 2021, but has stayed as executive chairman.
    (Yada, yada, business shit...)
    He appears to has/is (?) retiring from the company as CEO... so there may be an ownership rep change coming.
    https://www.lpgasmagazine.com/worthi...rs-transition/

The son, JohnP II (grandson of founder JohnH), is 38 years old and stepping onto the "board".
    So I wonder if he'll soon/eventually be gifted with making decisions on the hockey team. (?!?)

The CBJ brass (which includes some other guy named Michael Priest - but I'd be shocked if he makes decisions without the grace of the main JohnP):
    https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/team...-and-ownership

Above: Davidson (L), JohnP (R)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Davidson was PoHO in Columbus from 2012 to 2019, at which point he resigned to take the same role with the Rangers if people forget. When he was fired with the Rangers, Columbus rushed to hire him back. I don't really think his job is in any near term danger, I just think he's the problem (and his 200 Hockey Men philosophies) and don't expect any change or success to befall CBJ while he is in charge there.