Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tavares vs CRA

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Tavares vs CRA

Oh man, this is going to be interesting how this plays out and could seriously affect players wanting to sign with Canadian franchises, as if it isn't already challenging enough.

BLUF

Tavares' first year of his contract saw him paid $650k US in salary, the rest of his income that year was $15.25M signing bonus. Tavares's signing bonus is supposedly eligible for the reduced rate of 15 per cent under a Canada-US Tax Treaty provision that sets lower rates for “inducements” paid to artists, musicians, actors and athletes because his first year, he was still a tax resident of the USA and didn't move to Toronto until the year after, but the CRA isn't seeing it that way. They feel his entire income from that year is under regular tax laws (38%, not 15%) and he owes close to $8M in back taxes and interest. The treaty rate may seem generous to us regular folk but, as a U.S. tax resident, Tavares paid full US tax on the $15-million bonus (minus a credit for the 15 per cent Canadian tax).

Now I say this is going to be interesting, because you can just imagine how closely other agents and athletes are watching this outcome. I cant imagine this helps the Canadian teams fight to bring high end talent to Canada.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Tavares vs CRA

I saw this and was super curious about how it turns out too. It's also interesting, because many Canadians will take an attitude of "he is making millions of dollars a year and he is fighting to pay less taxes? I am struggling to put food on my table and I have to pay that higher tax rate, so screw him!" They may feel like this especially if they aren't fans of the game. I am not sure how much sympathy he is going to get from the public. Of course, they aren't taking into consideration the future implications of sports stars wanting to sign with Canadian teams and what that could mean. If stars refuse to sign with Canadian teams in the future because of this, it will have a direct impact on the local economy.

Me personally, I hope he wins because of the implications of future stars signing with Canadian teams. Canadian teams have a difficult time enough trying to attract big name talent. The last thing we need, is something like this going against us. I am super interested to see how this turns out.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

How many players and CEO's have gone this route with their taxes and Tavares in 2018 is the one getting dinged? You're telling me Matthews, Marner, Nylander and the big wigs at MLSE haven't used the same tax exemption and haven't been dinged?

I also think this is none of our business. This is inline with Matthews getting COVID in the offseason type of invasion. We shouldn't know this.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How many players and CEO's have gone this route with their taxes and Tavares in 2018 is the one getting dinged? You're telling me Matthews, Marner, Nylander and the big wigs at MLSE haven't used the same tax exemption and haven't been dinged?

I also think this is none of our business. This is inline with Matthews getting COVID in the offseason type of invasion. We shouldn't know this.
    I think this is different because Tavares is coming from a US market to a Canadian one and his first year, he was still considered to be in the US. The others you are mentioning have always been part of a Canadian team when they signed their big contract. Maybe I am wrong.

I have no doubt there are lots of other players who have come up from the US to Canada and have gone through this. Bertuzzi might be a better example. I just looked and his contract this year is base salary of $775k and signing bonus of $4.725M.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Bertuzzi, Klingberg, and Marleau would all be under the same circumstances as JT. Just would depend if they filed the same way as JT.

But ya, I guess maybe it's about that 1st yr in Canada. But I don't know nearly enough about tax code, but it really sounds like the JT camp has a lot here vs the CRA. But it's the CRA, they don't really need reasons lol.

Dobber Sports Deity

Thats why I said it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out and could potentially affect future FA signings for Canadian teams. I am far from a Canadian Tax expert so maybe there's others on here who may have a better insight.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am curious as to why you think it is none of our business? I think tax evasion is a little different than COVID.
    Not saying that he is guilty of tax evasion.... but what if he is?

I will be very curious as to how this turns out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am curious as to why you think it is none of our business? I think tax evasion is a little different than COVID.
    Not saying that he is guilty of tax evasion.... but what if he is?

I will be very curious as to how this turns out.
    I dunno, just feels like any players financial situation shouldn't be public, and def shouldn't be public until it's for certain.

Medical Situation when players aren't being paid (summer), and players being accused of tax evasion....ya I guess that's apples to oranges. But it just doesn't feel right. Is something like this public knowledge? How did this get out?

Dobber Sports Immortal

But it just doesn't feel right. Is something like this public knowledge? How did this get out?
    Leafs leaked it for future use when they buy him out this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Leafs leaked it for future use when they buy him out this summer.
    Haha - this is a good one!

But yes, it is very weird that this got leaked. Because Tavares should have received a brown envelope and been able to keep it very secretive.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Of two minds on this stuff.

On the one hand players have been using signing bonus loopholes to avoid paying taxes for a long time and it's rather dumb.

On the other hand, as mentioned earlier, there are potential economic impacts if players don't want to sign in Canada due to tax laws. So then it becomes about trade offs. Is it worth it to get far higher taxes from these players if it means you might sell less jerseys? There is a ton of really fascinating math in that calculation.

Personally I say unless there is a strong evidence based argument that charging the higher tax rates is going to end up with less overall revenue for the country (this is a highly complex calculation as I mentioned earlier) then I am in favour of charging these guys higher tax rates.

Of course none of that really has much to do with this specific case because there are already tax laws that exist for this and this is about interpretation of those tax laws, and not about whether the rates are too high or low, or whether the signing bonus/inducements loophole should even exist.

Dobber Sports Superstar

This is a big case that will have major implications for high earning professionals (athletes, artists, executives). UFA athletes are at the very top of the impacted scale based on how they can move from one team to another (from the USA to Canada) and how much control UFA athletes having picking their team and the terms of their contracts.

NOTE: It really only applies to a player who was a resident of the USA and then signs a contract to play in Canada, and it only applies to the FIRST year of his signing bonus. Also note: Tavares is fighting to save $1.3m not the $8m you see in headlines (He could owe CRA $8m but would get $6.7m back from the IRS)

The facts
    - Tavares is a stud hockey player. He previously lived and worked in the USA.
    - Tavares became an unrestricted free agent (“UFA”), he could sign with any NHL team of his choosing.
    - Tavares had many suitors, numerous teams offered him contracts, any team would offer him a deal at league minimum (he had options!)
    oWhile the broad strokes were likely the same (7 years, lots of $, NMCs) Every deal offered was slightly different terms.
    oTavares ultimately signed with the Maple Leafs
    o Tavares deal included a large amount of money classified as “signing bonus” under the NHL CBA
     In total $70.89m of the $77m he makes is classified as “signing bonus”
     Of particular importance is his first year he made a base salary of $650,000 and a signing bonus of $14.6million
    o After signing Tavares moved his “domicile” (his legal “place he lives” for tax purposes you only ever have 1 domicile) from the USA to Canada, becoming a resident of Canada for tax purposes. This happened 1 year after the signing.

- The first year of his contract, Tavares was a resident of the USA for tax purposes(note: citizenship is almost irrelevant to this question so future Americans, Swedes etc will have largely the same arguments).
    - Tavares was a resident of the USA, while earning income in Canada.

The Law

-This case is about HOW the $14.6million signing bonus should be classified and thus WHERE it will be taxed (NY or Ontario) once that is established the rate Tavares’ pays is set. If Tavares’ is successful he will save about $1.3million (USD) in taxes, not the $8million headline that is shown (He could owe CRA $8million but in that result would get approximately $6.8million back from the IRS).
    - As a resident of the USA and also earning income in Canada Tavares’ income was subject to both USA and Canadian Tax laws.
    - Canada-USA have a tax treaty (most countries have tax treaties), the overall purpose is to ensure that individuals are not “double-taxed” on any particular income.
    -Ordinarily, the entire of Tavares’ $15.25 signing bonus would be taxable in Canada as “employment income” as it was earned in Ontario. If taxed this way Tavares would pay $8.121 million in Canadian taxes, a tax rate of $53.25%.
    -There is a provision in the US-Canada Tax treaty which states that if an individual receives a “signing bonus” as an inducement to enter into employment in Canada, such signing bonus is not taxed as employment income (53.25%) but at a much lower rate of 15%.

-CRA says:
    oAll $15.25m is employment income, taxed at 53.35% total tax paid: $8.12million

Tavares argues that in his 1st season he should be taxed:
    -Employment income: $650,000 (53%)$340k to CRA
    -Signing Bonus: $14.6 million (15%) $2.19 million to CRA
    -Total tax (in Canada) $2.53 million
    -NY tax paid: ($6.789 million -$2.53 paid to Canada) total paid: $6.789m

If Tavares is successful he will pay $1.33million less in taxes.

The Legal Question:

The legal question is simply “Was Tavares’ signing bonus a “true” signing bonus as defined under the tax treaty?

Did it induce him to sign with and move to Toronto over the other options, OR, was it merely called a singing bonus on paper (and for CBA purposes’ and does that matter) to avoid taxes. Would Tavares’ have signed the contract “but-for” the signing bonus?

A signing bonus is generally defined as a “sum of money paid to enticement or incentive to join a particular organization or sign a new contract”. It is generally guaranteed (or almost guaranteed) up front, on the signing of the employment contract, whether payable immediately or over time. This is opposed to salary, which is not ordinarily guaranteed and is subject to the terms of employment. The more conditions on the bonus, and the longer it is paid over, the more likely a court would find that it was not a “true” signing bonus at law.

The adage “if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck” is in play here.

Signing Bonus’ are desired by NHL players for many reason other than taxation. They are FULLY guaranteed against: work stoppage, demotion, buyout etc. while salaries are guaranteed against performance they are NOT paid in full after a buyout or work stoppage.
    Tavares will say the signing bonus meets the definition of a signing bonus under the tax treaty, it was fully guaranteed on execution of the contract and it induced me to sign the contract (“but-for” the bonus Tavares would have signed elsewhere).
    CRA will say it is just another name for employment income, and that ALL salary is guaranteed under NHL contracts and that Tavares was going to sign in Toronto whether he was paid salary or signing bonus. I think the CRA will try and argue that since a large amount of the total compensation is signing bonus ($70 of 77 million) that it is not a true signing bonus, but just another form of employment income.

CRA may also argue the signing bonus should be classified as employment income under GAAR (the general anti-avoidance rules”) GAAR is essentially a rule where a tax benefit will be denied if the court finds: a tax benefit, transaction of avoidance and ABUSE of the tax code. GAAR is a always a very hot topic because while tax PLANNING is permitted, tax AVOIDANCE is not.

I am incredibly interested to see who the Court rules in this matter and whether or not it ends up in front of the Supreme Court of Canada and each Court’s thoughts on the case.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great summary LawMan. I love love love this stuff. I imagine it "could" take a long time to wind its way through the courts depending on appeals.

Dobber Sports Deity

Excellent analysis Lawman! Always appreciate your insight, especially on these matters.

Pure Gold LawMan!

​​