Thread: Outlook of Ullmark & BOS duo

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Outlook of Ullmark & BOS duo

I have an opportunity to acquire Ullmark in a keeper league (currently have Skinner and the LA duos only). I'm wondering on his projection going forward as he is now 30 yrs old and his contract ends next year. Swayman will be a RFA at the end of this year. Do you see BOS continue to run a duo goalie system or hand Swayman the throne and not resign/trade Ullmark? He did well in BUF before signing with BOS but wondering if he will be a starter in other teams or continue to split the net.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Outlook of Ullmark & BOS duo

Boston has only one UFA to sign after this year, DeBrusk. He'll probably get a bump over his $4 million salary, but not by much. Danton Heinen is a UFA making less than a million. If the numbers are good, they'll resign him. They have 8 forwards under contract. They have 3 UFA defensemen in their 30s that if it were me, I wouldn't re-sign (Grzelcyk, Forbort, Shattenkirk). They add up to almost $8 million.

I think the answer lies in how they choose to spend. They need to fill out their defense and don't have a lot of money to do it. Dealing away a goalie or not re-signing Swayman makes sense in order to get more money to sign defensemen. They have Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Zacha, T. Fredreick and M. Geekie to serve as a top 6 if DeBrusk isn't re-signed. Is that enough?

I would guess that one of the goalies goes so as to bring in skater help. Next year is also Marchand's last contract year. Makes sense to bring in talent to make a push. With any situation, I would guess that Swayman and Ullmark would experience a sharp dropoff if they went to most teams. Swayman on the Blue Jackets isn't getting it done.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the insight, senryu! Good point that they have half the roster to fill next year and may need to sacrifice a goalie. I would imagine then that they will stick with Swayman and find a partner for Ullmark. This likely won't happen until next year as they are gunning for playoffs.

It still seems like a good short term gain to have Ullmark and leave it to a toss up on whether he stays with BOS or not next year.

Dobber Sports Icon

The Bruins were very close to trading Ullmark last summer. He's likely gone this summer. Where he goes no one knows but Detroit was one of two rumored teams last summer.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Boston has only one UFA to sign after this year, DeBrusk. He'll probably get a bump over his $4 million salary, but not by much. Danton Heinen is a UFA making less than a million. If the numbers are good, they'll resign him. They have 8 forwards under contract. They have 3 UFA defensemen in their 30s that if it were me, I wouldn't re-sign (Grzelcyk, Forbort, Shattenkirk). They add up to almost $8 million.

I think the answer lies in how they choose to spend. They need to fill out their defense and don't have a lot of money to do it. Dealing away a goalie or not re-signing Swayman makes sense in order to get more money to sign defensemen. They have Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Zacha, T. Fredreick and M. Geekie to serve as a top 6 if DeBrusk isn't re-signed. Is that enough?

I would guess that one of the goalies goes so as to bring in skater help. Next year is also Marchand's last contract year. Makes sense to bring in talent to make a push. With any situation, I would guess that Swayman and Ullmark would experience a sharp dropoff if they went to most teams. Swayman on the Blue Jackets isn't getting it done.

I would agree with most everything in this post, except for the sharp drop off part when it comes to Swayman. He is a special goalie and not merely a by-product of the Bruins D system, and I think he’s the kind of goalie who would carry a team with weaker D. Think like a Hellybuyck when Jets were so-so. He’s young, he’s athletic, he’s got great technique, and he’s UBER competitive. I’ve read about his years at Maine U which were indicative, and his coaches raved about him. I think he’s a top tier goalie for next 8 years in Boston or elsewhere. I paid highly to re-acquire him this year, in my keeper, for that reason.

I also believe Ullmark is a goner this summer - they’ll fetch a decent return from a contender given he’s got 1 year and 1 playoff run left and is a terrific goalie in his own right. Think LA or even Colorado.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper