Thread: How good will UPL be?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default How good will UPL be?

In a deep Roto Dynasty league (12 teams, 35-player rosters, 20 starters, 5 bench, 10 minor).

Currently sitting in first place with a patchwork goalie tandem of Jarry, Gustaffsson, UPL and Daccord. Goalie stats are W, GAA, SP and SHO.

I've always believed in UPL and now that he's starting to establish himself, obviously the suitors are calling him.

How long can he hold off Levi from taking over the No. 1 (or 1A) spot? And would it be worth it for me to trade UPL (24) and my first-rounder for Bobrovsky (35), who would help me in wins, a category I can claim another couple of points in.

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

Comparatively, Bob and UPL have the same SP. UPL has one more SHO than Bob in fewer games. Bob has the wins and GAA on his side.
    Dynasty Keeper
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PIMS, STP (Special Teams Points), Hits
    Goalies - W, SO, GAA, SP

F : Barkov, Crosby, Malkin, Kadri, Novak, Panarin, Marchand, Kaprizov, VerHaeghe, Bunting, Pacioretty, Deslauriers, Kucherov, Barbashev, Kolesar, T. Raddysh, Colton, McBain

D : Burns, Karlsson, Heiskanen, S. Jones, Weegar, Schneider, Theodore on IR

G : Jarry, Gustafsson, Luukkonen, Daccord, Andersen on IR, Campbell in Minors

Prospects : Brisson, Dorofeyev, Miroshnichenko, Brink, Thrun

The Great One

Default Re: How good will UPL be?

I'd pump the brakes on UPL. Yes, he's had a great run his last 12 games; however, in there were two shutouts of Chicago and San Jose, so that skews things. He could indeed be figuring things out. But I believe the team still sees Levi as the golden boy. Would I trade UPL for Bob in your shoes? I think so, as Bob seems like he's figured things out again and Knight isn't making noise like some thought he'd be by now.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Levi > UPL.

UPL will fall apart as soon as the expectations come.
    Going into the season, the chatter was that Levi was the golden boy.
    Most averagish goalie play well with no pressure (i.e. NOT the #1) and then stumble when they get that #1 annointment.

UPL hasn't shown any numbers yet in AHL or NHL that suggest he's the real deal.
    He's a huge guy though... and he's going to have huge games...
    But I just don't see the consistency - unless BUF's PRO goalie coach has some otherworldly talents (and this may be true - I'm a firm believer that there are goalie coaches out there that have special skills... if I had more time... it's something I'd try to research)

Dobber Sports Deity

I hate to disagree with two big fish on the forums but I am a UPL believer. Whether it's in Buffalo or somewhere else, I think he's a legit NHL starter. We'll have a much better idea where Buffalo sees him this summer when he becomes a RFA. That next contract will say a lot. I can see them signing him for 2-3 years while Levi works out the bugs in his game. After that, who knows, but by then I think UPL will have proven a lot of doubters (including those on these parts) wrong and he will land somewhere as the starter if it isn't Buffalo. He'll be coming into his prime years when that contract ends. 26ish seems to be the start of the prime years for most goalies and UPL is already showing he's capable of being a legit #1 in the NHL on a team that has "suspect" D in front of him.

I do agree with P7 though when he says that Buffalo sees Levi as the golden boy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

His last 11gp (since Christmas) have been absolutely terrific numbers.
    But... mostly home games and/or weak opponents.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/player/game...ekka-luukkonen
    It's a pretty juicy sample sizing!

Also: Owen Power will be out of lineup for a while.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hi Folks, looks like I've got more to think about.

Not keen about dealing both UPL AND my first-rounder for Bob-o.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.
    Dynasty Keeper
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PIMS, STP (Special Teams Points), Hits
    Goalies - W, SO, GAA, SP

F : Barkov, Crosby, Malkin, Kadri, Novak, Panarin, Marchand, Kaprizov, VerHaeghe, Bunting, Pacioretty, Deslauriers, Kucherov, Barbashev, Kolesar, T. Raddysh, Colton, McBain

D : Burns, Karlsson, Heiskanen, S. Jones, Weegar, Schneider, Theodore on IR

G : Jarry, Gustafsson, Luukkonen, Daccord, Andersen on IR, Campbell in Minors

Prospects : Brisson, Dorofeyev, Miroshnichenko, Brink, Thrun

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Loutzenheiser View Post
    Hi Folks, looks like I've got more to think about.

Not keen about dealing both UPL AND my first-rounder for Bob-o.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.
    Oh, AND a first rounder.....Then no, I'd hold. I thought it was UPL for Bob straight up.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/