Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Morgan Rielly Suspension

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Morgan Rielly Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I'm a firm believer that all empty netters against the Leafs must now be slapshots.
    lol, for the win! Or they could go through their legs or if no one is close enough, try for a Michigan empty netter, lol!

For me, many (most?) of the unwritten rules in hockey are archaic and could easily be left behind like the enforcer position (sorry Mr Reaves). Do we want old school justice or should the NHL and it's officials (on and off ice) take care of policing the game? You can't have some of them, well okay, maybe you can, but since they are unwritten, I'm not sure where to begin.

What Rielly did was stupid and dangerous. Greig could have sustained a severe concussion and his NHL career shortened. It was essentially assault at that point.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'll be honest with you, I'd be more pissed off if a guy comes over the blue line on a breakaway and tees up a clapper on the goalie vs doing it into an open net. Sometimes I think their intentions are to hurt the goalie instead of actually trying to score the goal. At least into the open net, he's all about scoring.
    We had guys on our team that would waste a high, hard slapper around the goalies ear early in the game - not trying to hurt the goalie, but make him flinch on the next shots, with the hopes of getting an extra goal or two. My slap shot was something to behold. I would never warm up the goalie when we lined up at the blueline to take some shots, my shot would throw off his timing - too many bounces to get to him.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    lol, for the win! Or they could go through their legs or if no one is close enough, try for a Michigan empty netter, lol!

For me, many (most?) of the unwritten rules in hockey are archaic and could easily be left behind like the enforcer position (sorry Mr Reaves). Do we want old school justice or should the NHL and it's officials (on and off ice) take care of policing the game? You can't have some of them, well okay, maybe you can, but since they are unwritten, I'm not sure where to begin.

What Rielly did was stupid and dangerous. Greig could have sustained a severe concussion and his NHL career shortened. It was essentially assault at that point.
    I'm a firm believer if you target anyone in the head with your stick (Trouba, Perron, What a MTL player did to Simmonds a few years ago, the video I linked in this thread) it should be an instant in person hearing. The DOPS however has shown otherwise. Or, make it any hit to the head is an instant in person hearing (AKA, instant suspension and not a fine). There's no difference in potential outcomes from what Trouba did, and what Rielly and Perron did. Just the likelihood of the injury from happening, but the same injury is still there (if that makes sense).

The DOPS leaves things so open on purpose so they can fine Trouba, but suspended Perron and Rielly without much questioning.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I'm a firm believer if you target anyone in the head with your stick (Trouba, Perron, What a MTL player did to Simmonds a few years ago, the video I linked in this thread) it should be an instant in person hearing. The DOPS however has shown otherwise. Or, make it any hit to the head is an instant in person hearing (AKA, instant suspension and not a fine). There's no difference in potential outcomes from what Trouba did, and what Rielly and Perron did. Just the likelihood of the injury from happening, but the same injury is still there (if that makes sense).

The DOPS leaves things so open on purpose so they can fine Trouba, but suspended Perron and Rielly without much questioning.
    Completely agree. They talk about taking these kinds of plays out of the game, but are inconsistent in how they apply the punishment. Some players don't think before they act (low impulse control with far too many athletes...could be the testosterone, but something something science can prove me right/wrong), so no matter how many games another player gets for a similar action, it won't act as a deterrent.

Dobber Sports Pro

As someone who is unhappy with the aggression and emotional buy in of the leafs, I would have been more upset if no one reacted to the play. Without any emotion and reaction you would be much more buffoonery on the ice like Greig's little piece of selfish hubrus.
    Whatever Rielly gets will be deemed as wrong, so I will just say he should not have done it, but Greig deserved to be confronted for it.
    If Rielly had just punched him in the head, this would have gone nowhere, except that Greig's teammates know that it was a douche bag move, they they will have to answer for.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    As someone who is unhappy with the aggression and emotional buy in of the leafs, I would have been more upset if no one reacted to the play. Without any emotion and reaction you would be much more buffoonery on the ice like Greig's little piece of selfish hubrus.
    Whatever Rielly gets will be deemed as wrong, so I will just say he should not have done it, but Greig deserved to be confronted for it.
    If Rielly had just punched him in the head, this would have gone nowhere, except that Greig's teammates know that it was a douche bag move, they they will have to answer for.
    What I really don't understand is, why is it a "douche bag" move ... other than because it's been labeled as such since times when the game was far, far different?

Nobody was needlessly put at risk of injury during the play. Nobody was being insulted or mocked. The guy scored a goal on an empty net in a legal fashion. Who cares whether he slid, wristed, snapped, slapped or backhanded it in? What difference does it make?

A goal goes on the board. Line up for the ensuing faceoff.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Titan

Hockey culture is weird. The Greig Slapshot is bad, the Red Wings guy hitting the gritty after a goal is good. I dunno lol. I think the sport is not ok with showboating during the play, but is fine with a bit of it after the whistle.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    What I really don't understand is, why is it a "douche bag" move ... other than because it's been labeled as such since times when the game was far, far different?

Nobody was needlessly put at risk of injury during the play. Nobody was being insulted or mocked. The guy scored a goal on an empty net in a legal fashion. Who cares whether he slid, wristed, snapped, slapped or backhanded it in? What difference does it make?

A goal goes on the board. Line up for the ensuing faceoff.
    ^^^ This

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Pro

I guess it is just part of the culture or generation you were raised in. You can call it bad sportsmanship, showing up the other team, I mean I do not think it should be that hard to understand. This exists in every form of competition and there are "unwritten rules" whether you like it or not. I am sure anyone on this site who has played any sports has experienced it.

There is no mystery here. It is an emotional game, their is pride on the line and if you cross a line, which is different for everyone, you may have to answer for it.

I did not see the whole game live, but did Greig know something was coming? He should have and my guess is that if you watch the tape he was looking to see how his slap shot on an empty net received.

Dobber Sports Deity

Don Cherry always used to comment on Bobby Orr and how he'd score goal after goal but wasn't a celebration guy. He'd put his head down and skate back to center ice and wait for the puck drop.

You definitely don't see that anymore.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

This isn't the Bobby Orr or Don Cherry era.
    You can celebrate and you can show emotion, you just shouldn't show up the other team.
    For those that follow the NFL, they allow end zone celebrations when you score, (even those that seem over the top), but they have serious penalties for taunting.

It seems they figured out a way to deal with their issues.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    I guess it is just part of the culture or generation you were raised in. You can call it bad sportsmanship, showing up the other team, I mean I do not think it should be that hard to understand. This exists in every form of competition and there are "unwritten rules" whether you like it or not. I am sure anyone on this site who has played any sports has experienced it.

There is no mystery here. It is an emotional game, their is pride on the line and if you cross a line, which is different for everyone, you may have to answer for it.

I did not see the whole game live, but did Greig know something was coming? He should have and my guess is that if you watch the tape he was looking to see how his slap shot on an empty net received.
    Ya he knew something was coming but not a two-hander to the skull! A good tussle or heavy handed face wash maybe

We slam the players that are mindless robots with the cliche responses and in the same set we bitch about guys that over celebrate thier goals? Wtf do you want? RG showed a bit of emotion and levity and gets called out for it, ya he coulda played it cool and just slid it in…how boring. Scrap this whole ‘unwritten rules’ crap and play like you learned and loved when you were a youngster.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Ya he knew something was coming ............
    play like you learned and loved when you were a youngster.
    It seems that a youngster would get this... that is my point.

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...31089843298749

Morgan Rielly in-person hearing has been changed to a virtual hearing due to inclement weather. No travel.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Morgan Rielly in-person hearing has been changed to a virtual hearing due to inclement weather. No travel.
    I always thought the DOPS was in Toronto and the Leafs are in Toronto.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​