Thread: Morgan Rielly isn't just a buy high, right?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Morgan Rielly isn't just a buy high, right?

Being a leafs fan I'm obviously intrigued in Rielly. With that said, I already have the best 3 Leafs players, having traded Tavares for Theodore.

I can make 4 Leafs work on my team, but the question I have is Rielly a longterm play? There's been speculation of Leafs trying to find the right Offensive Dman, with Klingberg being brought in, with Sandin and Lily getting time on pp1. But nobody sticks, and Rielly gets pp1.

With his age, is a longterm asset that could put up points like he is this year for a long time?

I don't want to sell the farm, and I've already convinced the buyer that Rielly has the inherent risk of losing his spot on pp1 given the trackrecord.

The offer that he said he would do is Rielly, 4th for Krieder, Manson 3rd.

I would then have a streamer option.

Thoughts?
    12 Teams H2H Keeper (17 Kept): 22 roster spots (5 bench/5 Rounds Draft), 5 IR+, 1 NA
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PPP/SoG/Hits/Blocks
    Goalies: W/SV%/SHO

C: Matthews, Barkov, Zibanejad, Jenner
    LW: Kaprizov, Keller, Kreider, Marchand
    RW: Marner, Nylander, Rantanen, Marchessault, Holtz
    D: Hedman, Werenski, Theodore, Montour, Gudas, Carlson
    G: Oettinger, Markstrom, Daccord

IR: Guentzel, Sergachev

NA: Stankoven

Tried to replicate Dynasty League in Yahoo, but will be switching to FanTrax next year with a larger farm/minor league setup.

Standings: 1st place, 16-3-0.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Morgan Rielly isn't just a buy high, right?

I mean if you're worried about age then getting rid of Kreider would be a good thing cause he's three years older. Despite all the players they've brought into supposedly replace him, Rielly has only had one season below a 50 point pace out of seven seasons, and that was the one cut short by Covid. That's consistency.

On the flip side you're losing out on some hits but with that extra streamer option you can just rotate someone in. I think the real problem is whether or not you want to stack so heavily on Leafs when it's a weekly matchup. For playoffs this year it's good because they have a fairly dense schedule but beyond that your roster might struggle when the Leafs have a two game week.

I would do the deal and then probably try to flip Marner+ for a forward upgrade in the offseason.
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Novice

Ya, when Leafs play 2 games a week, that's when I typically lose, but any other week I dominate. I'm 13-3-0 and 2 of those L's were on low Leafs game weeks, so I do hear that risk, but also see the benefit, especially seeing that Playoffs I won't see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypete88 View Post
    I mean if you're worried about age then getting rid of Kreider would be a good thing cause he's three years older. Despite all the players they've brought into supposedly replace him, Rielly has only had one season below a 50 point pace out of seven seasons, and that was the one cut short by Covid. That's consistency.

On the flip side you're losing out on some hits but with that extra streamer option you can just rotate someone in. I think the real problem is whether or not you want to stack so heavily on Leafs when it's a weekly matchup. For playoffs this year it's good because they have a fairly dense schedule but beyond that your roster might struggle when the Leafs have a two game week.

I would do the deal and then probably try to flip Marner+ for a forward upgrade in the offseason.
    12 Teams H2H Keeper (17 Kept): 22 roster spots (5 bench/5 Rounds Draft), 5 IR+, 1 NA

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PPP/SoG/Hits/Blocks
    Goalies: W/SV%/SHO

C: Matthews, Barkov, Zibanejad, Jenner
    LW: Kaprizov, Keller, Kreider, Marchand
    RW: Marner, Nylander, Rantanen, Marchessault, Holtz
    D: Hedman, Werenski, Theodore, Montour, Gudas, Carlson
    G: Oettinger, Markstrom, Daccord

IR: Guentzel, Sergachev

NA: Stankoven

Tried to replicate Dynasty League in Yahoo, but will be switching to FanTrax next year with a larger farm/minor league setup.

Standings: 1st place, 16-3-0.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think if Rielly played for different team he would be looked at as top 10-15 D in the league. Him playing for Leafs and constant bickering of media that he is not #1 lowers his value in eyes of fans and fantasy players alike.

I think MR is going to produce at high rate for at least 3 more seasons.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Sage

I agree with Pete in that if you are worried about age, Reilly for Kreider will definitely pay off longer. Reilly should be productive 3-4 more years which is Matthews timeline. I own Reilly in a league and I'm not worried about Toronto replacing him on PP1. When you look at the makeup of their team and their tradeable assets, who's coming to replace Reilly? They have much bigger holes to fill than finding a PP1QB. Being a Leaf fan, make the trade and enjoy watching every time the Leafs go on the PP.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov