Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sergachev Stretchered Off in First Game Back

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Sergachev Stretchered Off in First Game Back

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    That's not really a valid argument on if a reverse hit is interference. In that situation, I don't know what you do, but again it's not an answer for "is a reverse hit interference".

I don't disagree with you that Laf was in a tough spot (especially with the lowkey dirty Serg), but I won't say you can deliver an illegal hit to protect yourself and the hit deemed not illegal. As a coach I would say "protect yourself" but if you do it illegally...it's still illegal.
    So where is the line between standing your ground when someone is coming to hit you and leaning into the hit a bit??

Because if you ask me that opens up a whole different level of uncertainty.

Different players hit at different intensity levels.
    So how is the player that is getting hit to know exactly how much he can lean into a hit? Brace himself for a hit?

Would you agree it is foolish to not brace yourself for a hit?

So if I brace myself for a hit and the other player falls down - are you making the argument that is interference as well??

How is a player supposed to know how intense the incoming hit is going to be?
    Because the intensity of the incoming hit determines how much he should or should not brace/prepare for the hit.

If that was Deslauriers coming in for that hit on Laf, the reverse hit probably wouldn't have made any difference at all.
    And Laf might have still ended up plastered into the boards.
    So if at most he can brace himself and not lean into a hit - doesn't that increase the chance of him getting ploughed into the boards.

So for you to argue its not a valid argument is short-sighted in my opinion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

The line is when you load up to hit. To me it's a pretty solid line. A reverse hit isn't the same as holding ground. You see a reverse hit because a players momentum is going one way, and then they stop and go the opposite way. Or they don't have the puck. You see a player engage with another player especially when they don't have the puck.

I think people are making it harder than it is. The reverse hit is instantly noticeable. Or maybe I'm wrong...

We already have the lines for interference out there...."If I brace for a hit and someone skates into me, is that interference?" Simple, who has the puck? Do you have the puck? Ok not interference. Does no one have the puck? Ok intereference.

Laf didn't have the puck. He did not gain possession at any time, unless I missed him bringing the puck down in the air.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

The line is when you load up to hit. To me it's a pretty solid line. A reverse hit isn't the same as holding ground. You see a reverse hit because a players momentum is going one way, and then they stop and go the opposite way. Or they don't have the puck. You see a player engage with another player especially when they don't have the puck.

I think people are making it harder than it is. The reverse hit is instantly noticeable. Or maybe I'm wrong...

We already have the lines for interference out there...."If I brace for a hit and someone skates into me, is that interference?" Simple, who has the puck? Do you have the puck? Ok not interference. Does no one have the puck? Ok intereference.

Laf didn't have the puck. He did not gain possession at any time, unless I missed him bringing the puck down in the air.
    But that's the slippery slope. Doesn't that make Sergachev's hit on Laf interference too?
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    But that's the slippery slope? Doesn't that make Sergachev's hit on Laf interference too?
    If he hits him, yes. It's not a slippery slope. It's calling the game how the rules are written.

I said at the beginning, the league doesn't call like 99% of interferences that happen.

Dobber Sports Veteran

If he hits him, yes.
    Well, he did hit him. They both hit each other. In fact, after the hit they were both still traveling in the direction of Sergachev's momentum (i.e., into the boards)
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Well, he did hit him. They both hit each other. In fact, after the hit they were both still traveling in the direction of Sergachev's momentum (i.e., into the boards)
    To me, Sergachev was going for a hit, but didn't complete the hit motion as Laf finished his first. To me, 2 players hitting each other at the same time is the finish motion of a hit happening at the same time, Sergachev didn't start his "finish motion" yet, and he hadn't completed a hit. Meaning 1 person had.

But again, I was more on "is the reverse hit interference?". This, was closer than blackandwhite (I'll admit), but reverse hit is interference.

You can then argue, if a player makes a jetting motion away from the puck to initiate contact early on a player, that's interference. Which is what's happening here. If Laf goes to the puck in the motion he is, the hit happens when he's in possession of the puck. Then Serg isn't interfering. I hope my view is at least coming across here. If Laf doesn't do his motion, Serg wouldn't be interfering.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    So where is the line between standing your ground when someone is coming to hit you and leaning into the hit a bit??

Because if you ask me that opens up a whole different level of uncertainty.

Different players hit at different intensity levels.
    So how is the player that is getting hit to know exactly how much he can lean into a hit? Brace himself for a hit?

Would you agree it is foolish to not brace yourself for a hit?

So if I brace myself for a hit and the other player falls down - are you making the argument that is interference as well??

How is a player supposed to know how intense the incoming hit is going to be?
    Because the intensity of the incoming hit determines how much he should or should not brace/prepare for the hit.

If that was Deslauriers coming in for that hit on Laf, the reverse hit probably wouldn't have made any difference at all.
    And Laf might have still ended up plastered into the boards.
    So if at most he can brace himself and not lean into a hit - doesn't that increase the chance of him getting ploughed into the boards.

So for you to argue its not a valid argument is short-sighted in my opinion.
    I would agree, except he launched into him....that was not bracing. That was making first contact to a player that didn't have, nor was he playing, the puck. Laf initiated contact. That's where I see it as interference. I mean I'd do the same thing honestly, but there should be a penalty based on the rules of interference.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Administrator

Players skate so fast these days but they also throw themselves around more recklessly and off-balance. This type of collision/result didn't happen as much when the game was slower. Now you see players falling with their leg stuck under them every other week.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

And there it is, broken fibula and tibia:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GF2EQ3VX...jpg&name=large

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper