Thread: What's your take on Owen Power?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What's your take on Owen Power?

is he having a down year?

Obviously there's Dahlin ahead of him but could we expect some steady PP time for him at some point?

What do you think? I'm having a hard time figuring out whats his cealing could be

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: What's your take on Owen Power?

Young dman, look how long it took Dahlin and he was more heralded, gifted, etc.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Star

Whole Sabres team is down and young D have a learning curve, but for fantasy, Power is going to the #2 to Dahlin's #1 as long as Dahlin is there.

Dobber Sports Deity

He's a kid that deserves patience. No, he's not PP1 but he can still contribute offensively.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

I remember back when the Flames had MacInnis and Suter. Suter was the perfect #2 guy to Al. Of course different time and players but that’s how I see it. 40 point seasons should be a constant for him. Now if he ever sees PP1 time then 60 is easy. But he will never be #1 in Buffalo as long as RD is there.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I remember back when the Flames had MacInnis and Suter. Suter was the perfect #2 guy to Al. Of course different time and players but that’s how I see it. 40 point seasons should be a constant for him. Now if he ever sees PP1 time then 60 is easy. But he will never be #1 in Buffalo as long as RD is there.
    I was trying to think of the right comp and Pronger/Niedermeyer wasn't quite right. Nor was Redden/Chara, way back when. MacInnis and Suter is a good one.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Makes sense. I appreciate your answers, will rep for sure.

40pts upside seems a bit steep for his 8.3m price tag

I'm wondering if he's the kind of guy you want on your team in real life, but no so much in fantasy.

My format is points only btw

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Overated Veteran View Post
    Makes sense. I appreciate your answers, will rep for sure.

40pts upside seems a bit steep for his 8.3m price tag

I'm wondering if he's the kind of guy you want on your team in real life, but no so much in fantasy.

My format is points only btw
    If he ever gets to a team where he's the unquestionable PP1 guy, then he could certainly hit 60. But he and Dahlin are tied at the hip so the play for him would be years from now. Otherwise you're Sergachev-ing it for a while.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Young dman, look how long it took Dahlin and he was more heralded, gifted, etc.
    I'm confused by this. Dahlin was breaking records as soon as he joined the league, what has Power done?

Dahlins points per game by age: 18-0.54, 19-0.64, 20-0.41, 21-0.85, 22-0.94, 23-0.8
    Powers points per game by age: 19-0.44 20-0.36

Power had a great rookie campaign, but is having a horrible sophomore slump. Now Dahlin had an off year in a shortened 2020 COVID season, but he has reached his 100 point potential trajectory at only 22 years old. About as quick as you get get when it comes to D. Keep in mind Makar was 20 when he joined the league, and guys like Josi and Hedman didn't truly break out until 25+. I do think Power will follow this trajectory, but we've been spoiled by the likes of Hughes, Makar, and Dahlin making the jump to elite so early in there careers.
    14 Team Keeper (Keep any 10)
    H2H Bangers League, Cats: G, A, P, H, W
    3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G 9Bench

G : Ilya Samsonov, Vitek Vanecek, Jack Campbell
    F: Sebastien Aho, Brayden Point, Kirill Kaprizov, Alex Debrincat, Kevin Fiala, Drake Batherson, Robert Thomas, Tanner Jeannot, Jake DeBrusk, Lawson Crouse, Ross Colton, Matt Duchene, Cole Perfetti, Joel Farabee
    D : Cale Makar, Rasmus Dahlin, Adam Larsson, Cam Fowler, Alexander Romanov

Dobber Sports Icon

im in teh same bat...i am hoping he has the same trajectory as a Hedman or John Carlson but with RD there i just dont see it playing out, unless like JC, Dahlin is moved or OP is moved...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I recently traded Rutger McGroarty for Owen Power.
    I don't have any issue waiting on Power.

Large D-men take a while to hit their stride in the NHL.
    People are mostly comparing him to Dahlin - who is a smooth "generational" (yes) D-man.

Let's not do that.
    Let's just not.
    (It was also a weaker draft... so let's just not assume #1 pick vs #1 pick can be done here.)

Aaron Ekblad is probably a better comparable.
    (Yes, also a #1 pick... but sort of a "weak draft" #1 pick, like Power.)

But... we actually couldn't/shouldn't even use Ekblad - because he was only roadblocked by a 35 year old Brian Campbell (on expiring contract) when Ekblad joined FLA.

If we stay with #1 picks... we could go all the way back to Erik Johnson.
    But even EJ walked onto a not-so-great STL team in 2007 that only had Eric Brewer in front of him.

So... I mean... I think the comparable is Bowen Byram - who went #4 overall in the 2019 draft.
    Remove a "one-tier below generational" player in Jack Hughes... a mis-hyped Kaapo Kakko... and CHI's rebuilding need for a center Kirby Dach... and there's Byram at #4.
    Drafted to a team (COL) who has a guy hard-road-blocking him: Makar.

Byram's got game.
    He flashed it in year #2 and year #3... but COL just isn't using him offensively yet.
    And THAT said - no Owen Power owner wants that unknown upside.

Boy - I'm typing a lot... and should really go find somebody who has done 10+ years...

Seth Jones...
    nope.
    NAS had Seth Jones more like #4 on their D depth chart when they moved him in 2015-16.

I don't know... it's kind of a unique case.
    I do think he's roadblocked by Dahlin.
    I do think he's a solid D-man.
    I think he's looking at 30-40pts yearly with Dahlin there.
    I think he could do Seth Jones type production if he moves on (45-55pts).

Tough call.
    He will be an all-around very good NHL player - Alex Pietrangelo / Aaron Ekblad-ish.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I own Power in a points only pool as well, and being a bottom team, I can afford to wait on him. I guess it all depends on what your plan is for your team, and where you are in the standings, but I would say if you can wait on him, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see how he progresses. He had a very good rookie season, so you know the offence is there, he's just a victim of having an elite D man in front of him. He is still very young and that position is one that takes time for most players to show what they have.

Dobber Sports Master

I'm the gm that traded Power to P7 in the league we play in .

I had planned on keeping Power for all the good the reasons someone might consider doing so .

I'm a little further down the rebuild path than P7's Spitfires and have some raises to key players (EP40 , Raymond , Pinto ,)that may have made it uncomfortable to keep Power without having to trade a forward I'd prefer to keep .

I'm not a prospect guru but love everything about McGroarty's game/ scouting report and hope it translates to the NHL .

many moons ago in a different league I traded Hedman before he started to produce some high octane offense . I get the same vibe that the same mistake could repeat itself down the road .