Thread: Goalies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Goalies

A guy in my league who stockpiles goalies approached me yesterday offering a trade of one of his goalies in exchange for an upgrade to his offense. But I'm not sure 1) if I need to do anything with my goalies and 2) if he has any options that are worth pursuing.

I'm currently rostering Demko, Saros, and Swayman. Demko has been good, Swayman has been mostly good, but Saros has been mediocre to bad for a good chunk of the season. Do I feel comfortable going into the playoffs with just these three guys? I'm particularly concerned about what happens if one of them gets injured. Pickings are slim in free agency; excluding guys in the minors, the top five goalies available are Stolarz, Nedeljkovic, Pickard, Mrazek, and Cal Petersen.

The other manager has Daccord, Ersson, Hill, Hofer, and Thompson, plus Dustin Wolf in his NA slot (obviously not an option).

The price to acquire either Ersson or Hofer would be more than I'm willing to pay, and I'm not sure I'd trust either going in to the playoffs.

I'm not really sure what to make of Daccord. Breaking out at 28 isn't unreasonable for a goalie, but Daccord was never a highly regarded prospect. He's also got to contend with the return of Grubauer and his hefty contract (which might be more of an issue next season, if I were to consider him as a keeper).

Hill and Thompson are the most intriguing (I actually traded Thompson to him last season), but I feel like if you're going to roster one you kind of need to have both and I don't want five goalies. There's another manager in the league who expressed interest in Demko earlier in the season, but I don't want to move him. I've considered the idea of offering him Saros back as part of a trade for Hill and Thompson, though I think he'd want Swayman (I got Swayman from him a couple of seasons ago).

Am I worrying about nothing? Are any of his goalies worth pursuing? Is giving up Saros in a keeper league a bad idea?
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Goalies

Jeebus.
    If he's coming to you (with what you HAVE) trying to offload goalies... then there's close to ZERO market in your league for his goalies.
    He.is.screwed.

Just say you're good.
    And you are.
    Absolutely no need to change what you have for what he's offering.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd kill to roster Demko and Swayman as my starters. And then to have Saros as my third guy. As it currently stands, you may just have the best goaltending in your league. Stay put.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Jeebus.
    If he's coming to you (with what you HAVE) trying to offload goalies... then there's close to ZERO market in your league for his goalies.
    He.is.screwed.

Just say you're good.
    And you are.
    Absolutely no need to change what you have for what he's offering.
    This is the right reading. If he is coming to you, then you don't need to do a thing. I'm not an advocate for lowballing, but if this is the case and you've got a spare skater to send, maybe put out a lowball offer for Hill to get a goalie just for insurance purposes in case Saros is ever dealt to Arizona or something. But yeah, no need for you to do anything here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Jeebus.
    He.is.screwed.
    I'm not sure he's approached me because everyone else has turned him down. A lot of fantasy managers seem to feel like if they don't win a trade outright it's not worth making, and that's doubly true in this league. So he might have started with me because he and I have hooked on several trades over the years and he knows that he can negotiate with me.

Either way, thanks for reassuring me that I'm good on the goalie front.
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann