Thread: Kuznetsov enters player assistance program

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Kuznetsov enters player assistance program

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...bwTdzBCuw&s=19

Evgeny Kuznetsov has entered the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program and will be unavailable to the #caps for an indefinite period while he receives care.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Kuznetsov enters player assistance program

Shame. What's wrong with these guys? They have a great life, lots of friends, lots of money, everything they could possible want, and it's just never enough. He was banned from the KHL for cocaine use in 2019. Does the NHL actually have a drug problem?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Shame. What's wrong with these guys? They have a great life, lots of friends, lots of money, everything they could possible want, and it's just never enough. He was banned from the KHL for cocaine use in 2019. Does the NHL actually have a drug problem?
    They are human beings. Like the rest of us.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yes.

NHL testing program is very limited in terms of frequency (pretty sure guys have said it's like 2 times a year). Drugs like coke and MDMA are out of your body within 3 days. I'm sure guys get the heads up of "testing is this week".

Then they're testing program isn't even that new. I think I saw in like 2010-2015 era there was no drug testing. Like when Jared Stoll was caught with MDMA, there was a big dive into their testing program. And they didn't test for recreational drugs "Like coke or weed" at the time, just steroids.

Kuz went into this program back when it was named "NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program" in 2019 after a positive drug test for coke while playing in Russia at the 2019 World Championship.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

this is often the reason for it unfortunately…”regular” human beings often don’t have time or money to do what these guys can…every addiction is a choice at beginning but then sickness takes over
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

I have a cousin who came up through the junior system in Canada and played lower-tier pro hockey in the U.S. - alcohol and drugs are everywhere for some of them from a pretty young age. These guys leave home when they are young with little/no supervision (although I believe it is getting better). They also don't have the same 'normal' lives like we do - they don't work 9-5/40-50 hours a week. They are rock stars in the small towns they play for and have tons of time to kill/live it up. Their habits become a lifestyle. For many, I imaging the alcohol/drugs become a crutch once the dream fades (not applicable to Kuz' situation but for everyone player who makes the NHL, there are thousands who end up having to join the rest of but with no real education and not many prospects).

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yep. You are all right and also, personality has a lot to do with it. My best friend growing up played junior hockey against Gretzky, then got into the drug world including cocaine. Even smuggled it from Columbia and eventually got caught and did some time. He was confident and cocky and thought he was invincible. He did learn his lesson and just stuck to weed when he got out.
    They all know the evils of coke but still manage to get caught up in the hype.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Drugs and alcohol are everywhere in society period. I am unsure to what degree it's better or worse in the hockey world (I don't have good data). Maybe it's worse in hockey than the general population, but I could be convinced it's not as well.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Drugs and alcohol are everywhere in society period. I am unsure to what degree it's better or worse in the hockey world (I don't have good data). Maybe it's worse in hockey than the general population, but I could be convinced it's not as well.
    Yup, I agree. Society as a whole has a drug and alcohol problem.

It would be very impressive for drugs and alcohol problems to be prevalent all over the place and for there to not be one in the NHL.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

I know it's been said already in other similar threads recently, but the recent news of players entering the program isn't an indication of more drug/alcohol problems in the NHL than in the past. I want to believe that the league is starting to take this stuff more seriously and encouraging players to get help instead of ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away. Grant Fuhr, Eddie Belfour, Kevin Stevens, Bob Probert, Ryan Kesler...the list goes on of retired hockey players who played through their addictions.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I know it's been said already in other similar threads recently, but the recent news of players entering the program isn't an indication of more drug/alcohol problems in the NHL than in the past. I want to believe that the league is starting to take this stuff more seriously and encouraging players to get help instead of ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away. Grant Fuhr, Eddie Belfour, Kevin Stevens, Bob Probert, Ryan Kesler...the list goes on of retired hockey players who played through their addictions.
    Absolutely, its mostly indication that they getting help, that help is available where it wasn't before. It also follows same trend as rest of the world, news gets out way faster with social media and current technology around....this is a good thing in a way but its still scary what's going on....it sucks for them but honestly it does not effect me that much...where i have issue is my 2 boys that are entering teen ages...that is very scary.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    Absolutely, its mostly indication that they getting help, that help is available where it wasn't before. It also follows same trend as rest of the world, news gets out way faster with social media and current technology around....this is a good thing in a way but its still scary what's going on....it sucks for them but honestly it does not effect me that much...where i have issue is my 2 boys that are entering teen ages...that is very scary.
    I think this is the perspective needed, and not always acknowledged. Forum talks about problems with "hockey culture" this and that, but these social issues are not isolated to hockey in any way. We only hear about them because of the high profile nature of fame and our personal interest in the sport.

As for Kuznetzov, he has a history, so good thing he is getting help.