Thread: Ovechkin trade to Carolina

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lightbulb Ovechkin trade to Carolina

As dumb or improbable as it may seem, wouldn't there be some sense for both Ovechkin and the Capitals to explore it? He's not getting the goals he need and the Capitals aren't making the playoffs. Ovi would maybe have a better opportunity at both the cup and the record in Carolina.

Who would say no to a Carolina trade?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Ovechkin trade to Carolina

Washington ownership

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    As dumb or improbable as it may seem, wouldn't there be some sense for both Ovechkin and the Capitals to explore it? He's not getting the goals he need and the Capitals aren't making the playoffs. Ovi would maybe have a better opportunity at both the cup and the record in Carolina.

Who would say no to a Carolina trade?
    Anybody who wants to score goals? Carolina is a very good team but thats exactly what they are, a team that work together without anybody standing out too much. They have 7 players with 10+ goals and highest is 17. If Ovechkin's objective is to score more goals i dont think Carolina is that team...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

If you break it down a bit, I think the worst case scenario is Washington and Ovi continue to regress and he doesn't reach Gretzky's goal record. If it becomes worse than this year, you'll have two pretty miserable years coming for all involved. Yes, he's all time leader in Washington and gets to retire as a Capital. ..or maybe his shooting-% will improve again and he'll get another two 25-30 goal seasons and get the record in a otherwise bad Washington team. I still doubt those final years would be all that fun.

Or he knows the upcoming years in Washington won't be great with the only purpose to chase an individual record, not for him or his teammates. Going to a better team for the chance of winning, with the individual record as a secondary objective, would likely be a better experience for him, his teammates, the league and most fans. Carolina just seemed like the most likely destination if there would be a Bourque-esque trade, not for the single purpose of getting him to the record.

Dobber Sports Deity

If Ovechkin hadn't already won a Cup, I could see the potential for a trade but right now I'd have to assume his goal is the goal record. Sure, he'd love a second sip from Lord Stanley but I can't see him wanting to leave Washington and the home he's built for his family there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    If you break it down a bit, I think the worst case scenario is Washington and Ovi continue to regress and he doesn't reach Gretzky's goal record. If it becomes worse than this year, you'll have two pretty miserable years coming for all involved. Yes, he's all time leader in Washington and gets to retire as a Capital. ..or maybe his shooting-% will improve again and he'll get another two 25-30 goal seasons and get the record in a otherwise bad Washington team. I still doubt those final years would be all that fun.

Or he knows the upcoming years in Washington won't be great with the only purpose to chase an individual record, not for him or his teammates. Going to a better team for the chance of winning, with the individual record as a secondary objective, would likely be a better experience for him, his teammates, the league and most fans. Carolina just seemed like the most likely destination if there would be a Bourque-esque trade, not for the single purpose of getting him to the record.
    i agree with everything you said but not the fact that Carolina is the right place, i think he would regress even further there....from competing teams i can see maybe Winipeg or Vancouver make sense, maybe even Vegas or Colorado.

but for him to get maximum offensive exposure would need to be a team like Anaheim or maybe even Chicago once Bedard is back. Someone that would lean on that one timer..

anyhow, i dont think any of this has any legs at all....i always believe he will retire in Washington record or no record.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones