View Poll Results: Who wins the SuperBowl?

Voters
15. This poll is closed
  • 49ers

6 40.00%
  • Chiefs

9 60.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SuperBowl

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: SuperBowl

SF couldn't put KC away. Mahomes was given a chance and made the most of it. He put SF away when needed. Great heart by Pat.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Whats the best conspiracy you have heard?

Someone was telling me they thing the NFL wants Mahomes to win because now that Brady is out of the NFL, they want someone else to be the GOAT so they are going to push for Mahomes to get more Superbowl wins really early in his career.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

Someone was telling me they thing the NFL wants Mahomes to win because now that Brady is out of the NFL, they want someone else to be the GOAT so they are going to push for Mahomes to get more Superbowl wins really early in his career.
    Ohhhhh ya. My neighbor yelled "FIXED" across the street this morning. Said the NFL couldn't pass up the jersey sales.

Just silly.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Sounds like the 49'ers didn't freshen up on the playoff OT rules. No excuse for not being ready. Way to go Shanny.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Sounds like the 49'ers didn't freshen up on the playoff OT rules. No excuse for not being ready. Way to go Shanny.
    Didn't I read today that Hardman didn't know he won the Superbowl with his TD catch either? There was certainly a delayed reaction from him after his catch.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

And they push for this how exactly? Super Bowl winners, by virtue of winning, have an uphill battle in terms of draft picks and schedules. And it's not like they'd change any rules, or, if they did so, they could find one that benefits him somehow more than it would others. That having been said, we are approaching the point where KC is such a powerhouse that what happened with the Pats likely will happen here, namely an easier time courting/retaining guys who are willing to play for less to be able to be a Super Bowl champ, but that's not got anything to do with NFL actions.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Didn't I read today that Hardman didn't know he won the Superbowl with his TD catch either? There was certainly a delayed reaction from him after his catch.
    Yea I thought so too but I think he said it was a delayed reaction or some sort of blacking out after the play. Mahomes was the first to greet him and reminded him what he just did. Weird all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Yup, he didn't know either.

Supposedly KC talked about Playoff OT rules every day for the two weeks leading up to the SuperBowl and he still didn't know that his TD was the SuperBowl winner.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I thought so too but I think he said it was a delayed reaction or some sort of blacking out after the play. Mahomes was the first to greet him and reminded him what he just did. Weird all around.
    Of course he is gonna say this after the fact. I believe what Mahomes said about him having to tell Hardman.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

So the playoff rules are:
    - Each team is assured 1 possession (unless a defensive score occurs safety/TD)
    - If the game is tied after 2 possession, next score wins.

So the argument goes that you want to kickoff, because you want the ball 2nd possession to know what your team needs to score, as each team is guaranteed a possession. If you go 2nd you can use 4th down to go for it if you need a FG or TD. This argument is largely based on college football OT where teams trade possessions from the opponents 25 yard line.
    However, the big difference in the NFL rules is that IF the teams are tied after 1 possession each, the next score wins.
    Shanahan was clear after the game that he took the ball first because he wanted the 3rd possession if it came to that. There is sound logic to this reasoning.

I think the NFL rules are very nicely balanced. the 2nd possession has the advantage of knowing what you need to tie/win the game and the 3rd possession has the advantage (if necessary) of being a "any score is a walk-off" possession.

Some of the individual players may not have known the rules but I think the coaches and captains did and made their decisions based on a reasonable analysis of said rules.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    So the playoff rules are:
    - Each team is assured 1 possession (unless a defensive score occurs safety/TD)
    - If the game is tied after 2 possession, next score wins.

So the argument goes that you want to kickoff, because you want the ball 2nd possession to know what your team needs to score, as each team is guaranteed a possession. If you go 2nd you can use 4th down to go for it if you need a FG or TD. This argument is largely based on college football OT where teams trade possessions from the opponents 25 yard line.
    However, the big difference in the NFL rules is that IF the teams are tied after 1 possession each, the next score wins.
    Shanahan was clear after the game that he took the ball first because he wanted the 3rd possession if it came to that. There is sound logic to this reasoning.

I think the NFL rules are very nicely balanced. the 2nd possession has the advantage of knowing what you need to tie/win the game and the 3rd possession has the advantage (if necessary) of being a "any score is a walk-off" possession.

Some of the individual players may not have known the rules but I think the coaches and captains did and made their decisions based on a reasonable analysis of said rules.
    I heard that SF wanted the ball to give their defense more time to rest which makes a lot of sense to me. I think what would have been fascinating is if both teams scored a touchdown, would KC have gone for 2 to win the game rather than kicking off in a sudden death scenario? What are the better odds- KC going for 2 or them kicking off, having to get the ball back, and then scoring?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I heard that SF wanted the ball to give their defense more time to rest which makes a lot of sense to me. I think what would have been fascinating is if both teams scored a touchdown, would KC have gone for 2 to win the game rather than kicking off in a sudden death scenario? What are the better odds- KC going for 2 or them kicking off, having to get the ball back, and then scoring?
    Had not considered going for 2 as an option (which wasn't necessary given the SF field goal).
    That would be the most intense ending to a playoff game I can imagine! I can see Dan Campbell HC of the Lions doing that given the chance.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    D for the first half.
    A- for the second half.
    A+ overtime... even though I was rooting for the Niners.

And Mahomes in clutch is... well.
    Ditto!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Had not considered going for 2 as an option (which wasn't necessary given the SF field goal).
    That would be the most intense ending to a playoff game I can imagine! I can see Dan Campbell HC of the Lions doing that given the chance.
    I will never forget this scenario. I used to do a multi player Madden league with some buddies. It was great. We split people out into each division so you had a mix of games vs people and CPU. We would sim the week every Sunday. We had 10-12 guys at one point. Ahhhh life before kids.

Anyways. Someone streamed the Super Bowl and the guy who scored to be within 1 point on the last play... Went for 2.Got it. Game over.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I heard on the radio that Chiefs were going to go for 2. The idea of having your season in Mahomes hands I guess is the deciding factor.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I heard on the radio that Chiefs were going to go for 2. The idea of having your season in Mahomes hands I guess is the deciding factor.
    I wish it would have came down to this... and they got stuffed!!

​​