Thread: [TRADE] Elias Lindholm to Canucks, Kuzmenko+ to Flames

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [TRADE] Elias Lindholm to Canucks, Kuzmenko+ to Flames

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Kuzmenko:
    124gp, 47g, 48a, 95pts, 0.766ppg

Lindholm:
    129gp, 31g, 65a, 96pts, 0.744ppg

There's WAY more to Lindholm's game than points. But it's not like he's put up his 2021-22 numbers recently. I also think adding Lindholm disrupts their lines quite a bit. What happens if Boeser and Lindholm don't work out? The good thing is they have runway in the season to test it all out.

The price for lindholm wasn't huge either, and it's more it'll only look bad if 2 pieces in the trade hit.
    Lindholm will replace Kuzmenko on a line with Petterson. Last game before the all start break we ran Miller Suter Boeser and Kuzy, Petterson, Mikheyev. The Kuzy, Mik and Petterson line has been run quite a bit this year. Petterson and Lindholm with Mikeyev should be a solid 1A/1B line.

Now here is the other thing, and some people touched on it briefly already. We traded for a player with a smaller cap hit this year, and who's contract is up. Shedding Kuzmenko's 5.5 million off the books next year is valuable in itself regardless if we re sign Lindholm which I don't think we will. Kuzmenko was scratched I believe 6 times this year, and benched numerous other times. His stats this season are padded by a good start, but has been relatively ineffective since. We essentially got better without losing a roster player.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Stud

Any opinions or projections on how the Flames lines shake out? Who does this help, who does this hurt? I'm thinking maybe it hurts their Dmen, but I'm not sure about forwards like Kadri, Coleman, etc...
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Impossible to say. I think the two most likely options are:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
    Zary-Kadri-Coronato/Pospisil
    Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Kuzmenko

But maybe:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
    Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko
    Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Coronato/Pospisil

The ultimate problem is going to be that the Flames have way too many wingers and not anyone who is ready to step into even a 3C role. Of the players currently on the roster you have either Zary or Sharangovich. Zary was drafted as a center but he wasn't even a full time center in the A, and I'm not sure you want to derail a promising rookie season by shifting him to C. Which leaves Sharangovich, who might not really have the IQ to do it but you care less about burning him than Zary. Outside of those two, the names you're looking at are Schwindt, Rooney, Kerins, Nikolayev, Emilio Pettersen. I don't think any of those guys are really ready to be a 3C anyways. One option you could consider is:

Huberdeau-Backlund-Sharangovich
    Coronato/Pospisil/Pelletier-Kadri-Kuzmenko
    Mangiapane-Zary-Coleman

The advantage of the above is you give Zary two real defensively strong and all around solid NHLers to insulate his shift to center.

To answer the question, the player this hurts the most (who is fantasy relevant) is likely Sharangovich, who will have a tougher time at even strength now. Kuzmenko likely just slots into Lindholm's PP slot and everything stays the same. Zary would be next on the list if he moves to C. Then guys that aren't really super fantasy relevant, this likely keeps one or both of Coronato and Pelletier in the AHL for the rest of the season.

Dobber Sports Pro

Kuzmenko:

Lindholm:

There's WAY more to Lindholm's game than points. But it's not like he's put up his 2021-22 numbers recently. I also think adding Lindholm disrupts their lines quite a bit. What happens if Boeser and Lindholm don't work out? The good thing is they have runway in the season to test it all out.

The price for lindholm wasn't huge either, and it's more it'll only look bad if 2 pieces in the trade hit.
    Upgrading 2c allows Tocchet to play the lotto line - BB,JT,EP - which has been great over the last 10 games or so. Lindholm will bring that defensive game Kuzmenko didn't. Boeser has played with three other wingers so far this season so I he should be fine - he started with PDG, then Suter than EP40

Canucks should also have around 2m at the trade deadline to add another player
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

The Great One

This does show Vancouver considers itself in the mix to win the Cup this year. But will Demko, despite his strong showing in his only playoff series, be able to shine when the time comes? I think Vancouver actually matches up better against Vegas than either Dallas or Colorado, providing a more realistic path to the conference finals given the way the playoffs now work. Plus, perhaps Dallas and Colorado, if it comes down to going against one of them, will be worse for wear after what could be a long and hard fought conference semi-final series between them. And as someone who was rooting for Boston in 2011, and could tell what a gut punch that loss was to Vancouver, I do kind of hope they go far.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    This does show Vancouver considers itself in the mix to win the Cup this year. But will Demko, despite his strong showing in his only playoff series, be able to shine when the time comes? I think Vancouver actually matches up better against Vegas than either Dallas or Colorado, providing a more realistic path to the conference finals given the way the playoffs now work. Plus, perhaps Dallas and Colorado, if it comes down to going against one of them, will be worse for wear after what could be a long and hard fought conference semi-final series between them. And as someone who was rooting for Boston in 2011, and could tell what a gut punch that loss was to Vancouver, I do kind of hope they go far.
    Colorado I agree with you. Dallas I think is overrated. Demko will be fine the guy is a rock and Desmith has been solid as backup. Adin Hill was the cup winner last year and before that Kuemper/Francious. As far as the pacific, I guess I would rather paly Vegas/Kings then the Oilers. Even though we beat them three times this year, two of those games were the first 3 games of the season. The Oilers just have an ability to really take over games when on.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Colorado I agree with you. Dallas I think is overrated. Demko will be fine the guy is a rock and Desmith has been solid as backup. Adin Hill was the cup winner last year and before that Kuemper/Francious. As far as the pacific, I guess I would rather paly Vegas/Kings then the Oilers. Even though we beat them three times this year, two of those games were the first 3 games of the season. The Oilers just have an ability to really take over games when on.
    Demko is on pace for 59 games. IMO the first team in the west should probably give their #1 goalie some more rest down the stretch. That is the biggest risk to him holding up or not in the playoffs. Should almost be rotating him and DeSmith the rest of the way (although they wont).

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Demko is on pace for 59 games. IMO the first team in the west should probably give their #1 goalie some more rest down the stretch. That is the biggest risk to him holding up or not in the playoffs. Should almost be rotating him and DeSmith the rest of the way (although they wont).
    I don't know about that. Going back the last 10 years, all of the top goalies have played 55+ games, throw out the pandemic year, 59 doesn't seem like that big of a workload. I think they will give him extra rest, as long as the lead they have on 2nd place in the pacific continues to hold.

The difference between getting the Nashville, Blues or the Kraken in the 1st round opposed to Vegas/Oilers is huge. They defiantly do what they can to win the Pacific.

Dobber Sports Superstar

an overpay I am glad the Rangers didn't make.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Kuzmenko:

Lindholm:

i was thinking the same about this disturbing lines. But i honestly think big objective here for Vancouver was to move Kuzmenko. I know he had to wave the NMC but i think it was a formality and i would not be surprised if hew was the one asking for the move behind the scenes. Getting Lindholm back instead of just bunch of nothing is at least a very good try to improve the team.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    an overpay I am glad the Rangers didn't make.
    Not sure its an overpay if you factor in that the trade clears cap space for the Canucks to Sign EP40 and Hronek and upgrades a player that was in the coaches doghouse. Getting two birds stoned at once.
    Where the nucks screwed up was not trading Kuzmenko earlier when his value was higher but that's hindsight.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Not sure its an overpay if you factor in that the trade clears cap space for the Canucks to Sign EP40 and Hronek and upgrades a player that was in the coaches doghouse. Getting two birds stoned at once.
    Where the nucks screwed up was not trading Kuzmenko earlier when his value was higher but that's hindsight.
    There's somebody who actually watches the Canucks game. This move does not disturb any chemistry or lines. Kuzy started good offensively this year but hasn't been relevant in the last two months. He's been healthy scratched, benched and taken off pp1. The lotto line gers stints but lot of time Petterson was playing with the two Russians. He's now going to be able to get Lindholm on his line who can take the tough draws and be more densively responsible. He's also arguable just as good if not better than Kuzy offensively. What am I missing here?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    There's somebody who actually watches the Canucks game. This move does not disturb any chemistry or lines. Kuzy started good offensively this year but hasn't been relevant in the last two months. He's been healthy scratched, benched and taken off pp1. The lotto line gers stints but lot of time Petterson was playing with the two Russians. He's now going to be able to get Lindholm on his line who can take the tough draws and be more densively responsible. He's also arguable just as good if not better than Kuzy offensively. What am I missing here?
    Exactly. Considering how Kuzmenko's season has gone, moving on from him is a net positive especially when you consider the value of wingers that we've seen over the last couple seasons. Sure, he might find his game but there was no reason to believe it was going to happen this season and the Canucks would definitely prefer his cap dollars spent elsewhere this offseason. So after removing Kuzmenko from consideration this trade becomes Lindholm for a late 1st, a promising recent 3rd round pick, and a couple fliers. In return, the Canucks get one of the best rentals on the market and become one of the favorites in a wide open league. Even if it is a slight overpay, it's a trade the Canucks should make. Good trade for both teams.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov