Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cold Snap in the West...

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Cold Snap in the West...

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Are you suggesting that more electric vehicles will not result in more electricity consumption?

Finny simply stating that if there are more vehicles that require electricity, then the electricity consumption will increase.

Very simple and straight forward correlation in my opinion.
    Of course more EVs added to the 'system' equals more electrical consumption. What I am suggesting that the EVs will NOT risk collapsing the grid any time soon like the naysayers want to suggest. The grid needs to constantly evolve and increase capacity constantly because electrical demands are increasing from MANY points of pressure.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It started off by saying "I can't imagine what happens when there are more EVs on the road with the same infrastructure" . Then it was pointed out that EVs currently don't drain the system to the level people are being told.

That's it. Stop arguing about nothing. shush now.
    All I know about EVs is that I feel horrible for the family that is sitting in the local grocery parking lot in freezing temperatures with a packed car on family vacation waiting for the car to charge.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Pro

All I know about EVs is that I feel horrible for the family that is sitting in the local grocery parking lot in freezing temperatures with a packed car on family vacation waiting for the car to charge.
    Ridiculous scenario. Have you ever talked to an EV owner before? Because you are talking to one now.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'd assume they'd go in the grocery store, or with the money you save on fueling up, you'd rent a car for traveling that distance...or fly...or if they have a second car, use that one. Charging also is only 15minutes, so bathroom breaks every 300-350km is pretty average for a family. It's not that big of a challenge in life.

EVs aren't that big of a hurdle for everyday use, it's honestly just the carbon footprint I don't like on EVs and would hope Hybrids were invested in more right now (like Toyota dropping all EVs for heightened production in Hybrids).

Train off the tracks.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

EVs aren't that big of a hurdle for everyday use, it's honestly just the carbon footprint I don't like on EVs and would hope Hybrids were invested in more right now (like Toyota dropping all EVs for heightened production in Hybrids).

Train off the tracks.
    The lifetime carbon footprint of any hybrid and regular internal combustion vehicle will far exceed an equivalent EV. The high efficiency of an electric motor will always win over anything that drinks gas, EVEN if that electricity driving the electric motor came from a fossil fuel source.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Blaming EVs for every power emergency (winter or summer) going forward is based on complete and utter ignorance and that is the narrative pushed these days.
    There are about 5 million registered vehicles in Alberta, both private and business. Of that huge number is about 15000 EVs. If even 10% of those 5 million gas/diesel vehicles plug in their block heaters the power draw will outstrip what all the EVs will draw. I'd bet the number of homes still lighting up their X-mas lights draws more power than all the EVs charging at once. Most EV owners charge at home and they do their charging over night, off peak hours anyways.

Privatization of the Alberta grid is forcing us to live on the electrical capacity generation limit ALL THE TIME because there is little profit in building a buffer of added capacity to accommodate extreme cold/heat weather events. If the simple act of adjusting power rates to premium rates at peak times and minimal rates to off peak hours than would do way more to combat peak time shortages as people in general would be more careful with their general power consumption. But the current AB government continues to shirks their responsibility to increase capacity, modernize the grid, update energy policies and prefer to continue to point fingers at some boogie man in Ottawa.
    No one is blaming them right now for the drain on the grid, although it was interesting that the emergency message specifically listed Ev charging on it, asking to delay charging them. Now you say there is 5,000,000 million registered vehicles and only 15,000 of them are EV. What does it look like if by 2035 the federal mandate to have 100% 0 emission vehicles on the road? As we approach that target if it sticks, people will be converting more and more to EV every year. Can we support both with charging stations and power generation if we have 1 million EV's on the road by 2030? What if it's 2 million? Also where is that energy coming from? Isn't the point of going EV to reduce emissions?

"About 89% of electricity in Alberta is produced from fossil fuels– approximately 36% from coal and 54% from natural gas. The remaining 10% is produced from renewables, such as wind, hydro, and biomass."
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Genius

Dobber Sports Genius

Dobber Sports Titan

The lifetime carbon footprint of any hybrid and regular internal combustion vehicle will far exceed an equivalent EV. The high efficiency of an electric motor will always win over anything that drinks gas, EVEN if that electricity driving the electric motor came from a fossil fuel source.
    I'm thinking more the extra wear and tear that the heavier EVs have. Faster wear on tires, brakes, the roads, the Lithium mining side of everything. I've seen the Carbon Footprint of the manufacturing of a Tesla vs Gas Vehicle and predictive lifespan, but I haven't seen the impact further past that (roads, recycling batteries, infrastructure improvement that includes factories).

Ya it's more the broad scope that at a certain point in the earths existence, won't matter because EVs will be the only option.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I will simply point out that most data contradicts this, and the only way this statement is reasonable is if you only start comparing carbon footprint at the point of sale. Will that change in the future? Almost certainly, although the world does not have anywhere close to enough raw material for mass EV-vehicle adoption. To the counter-argument, while yes EVs will result in more electricity consumption, most of that consumption is likely to happen in non-peak hours and won't really have a significant impact on the power grid, provided it is responsibly development. The only reason EVs were specifically mentioned in the emergency alert is because everything, absolutely EVERYTHING Danielle Smith is both moronic and intended for political gain, and she knows mentioning EVs as a problem (even when it's irrelevant and not a problem) will rile up her base, most or all of which have no interest in doing any modicum of research to know that EVs in that time frame would not have been a significant factor in power draw.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm thinking more the extra wear and tear that the heavier EVs have. Faster wear on tires, brakes, the roads, the Lithium mining side of everything. I've seen the Carbon Footprint of the manufacturing of a Tesla vs Gas Vehicle and predictive lifespan, but I haven't seen the impact further past that (roads, recycling batteries, infrastructure improvement that includes factories).

Ya it's more the broad scope that at a certain point in the earths existence, won't matter because EVs will be the only option.
    He didn't sight a source when he made that statement. Ev owners or just a ring below Vegan's in their blind optimism of their vehicles. Oh and there is the human slavery aspect of getting some on the minerals required for Ev's as well.

"the Democratic Republic of the Congo
    Cobalt is mined in several countries but the Democratic Republic of the Congo is by far the largest producer. However, as demand rises, mining in other countries including the US, Canada, and Australia is set to increase."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    No one is blaming them right now for the drain on the grid, although it was interesting that the emergency message specifically listed Ev charging on it, asking to delay charging them. Now you say there is 5,000,000 million registered vehicles and only 15,000 of them are EV. What does it look like if by 2035 the federal mandate to have 100% 0 emission vehicles on the road? As we approach that target if it sticks, people will be converting more and more to EV every year. Can we support both with charging stations and power generation if we have 1 million EV's on the road by 2030? What if it's 2 million? Also where is that energy coming from? Isn't the point of going EV to reduce emissions?

"About 89% of electricity in Alberta is produced from fossil fuels– approximately 36% from coal and 54% from natural gas. The remaining 10% is produced from renewables, such as wind, hydro, and biomass."
    2035 feds are mandating zero SALES of combustion engine vehicles. There are no plans to actually ban gas vehicles off the roads by 2035

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I will simply point out that most data contradicts this, and the only way this statement is reasonable is if you only start comparing carbon footprint at the point of sale. Will that change in the future? Almost certainly, although the world does not have anywhere close to enough raw material for mass EV-vehicle adoption. To the counter-argument, while yes EVs will result in more electricity consumption, most of that consumption is likely to happen in non-peak hours and won't really have a significant impact on the power grid, provided it is responsibly development. The only reason EVs were specifically mentioned in the emergency alert is because everything, absolutely EVERYTHING Danielle Smith is both moronic and intended for political gain, and she knows mentioning EVs as a problem (even when it's irrelevant and not a problem) will rile up her base, most or all of which have no interest in doing any modicum of research to know that EVs in that time frame would not have been a significant factor in power draw.
    I rarely agree with you, but this post is 100% bang on

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I rarely agree with you, but this post is 100% bang on
    Like 4 typos tho and now you've quoted it so I can't correct lol

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ridiculous scenario. Have you ever talked to an EV owner before? Because you are talking to one now.
    No, I did not talk to them when I saw them, but I did feel bad for them.

Why is it a ridiculous scenario?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​