Thread: (General) Distasteful to sell players for picks when in playoff position?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default (General) Distasteful to sell players for picks when in playoff position?

Hopefully this is a proper sub-forum to post this topic. Our league just this season changed from one year to a very limited keeper and I'm curious to know how other people who have more experience in keeper leagues handle being in the position to try and go all in, hold and pray, or sell for picks.

My team has been struggling the past few weeks and I've fallen from a big lead in 1st to 2nd place and this week 3rd place is on track to crush me which would put me in 3rd to 5th place depending on our category split come Sunday. I know my big weakness is goaltending. It's still early for most, if not any team to throw in the towel so it's making acquiring a goalie hard, but what's also making it difficult is no one will seemingly trade with me (evidenced by our group chat and conversations with some individuals) because I've won 2 of the past 3 seasons.

So, let's say your team isn't as dominant as you believed. It's February your team is likely to make playoffs but because other teams have made trades (ie a team acquires McDavid which happened in our league) you aren't confident your team can win it all, and no one will trade with you because they don't want to help you win, is it in bad taste to just trade your players for picks and almost guarantee your win next season?

I hope this doesn't come across as defeatist or me being a salty person. I'm trying to figure out how to handle this situation because I've literally been told by last place, "I'm not trading because it will secure 1st for you" and I don't know what else to do so that I can set myself up for success either this season or next. I'd hate to end this season out round 1 and no extra picks next season.

Thanks!
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: (General) Distasteful to sell players for picks when in playoff position?

No, I do not think this is bad strategy.

If the top teams are getting stronger and you can't make the moves to stay in the pack, then definitely do what is best for your team.
    If you can make trades to be the top dog for next year, then definitely do it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: (General) Distasteful to sell players for picks when in playoff position?

I once traded over achieving players while I was like 7th for picks and players I thought would pop and everyone was confused, but our league is pretty understanding of what GMs do. I ended up winning the league.

You gotta do what you think is right for your team, not what's right for the league.

I've been in the reverse situation where no one in the league was buying to an appropriate level so I said eff it and I bought to push for the playoffs. No one gets upset if a 10th place buys, why how is it any different the other way.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Do what's best for your team, but I'd take extra steps to show that you tried to deal with others so that no one can accuse you of making a lopsided deal in down the road.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sounds like a smart idea! Do what's best for your team. I find it odd and hilarious when some GM's get offended when I make trades instead of just sit on my team as-is.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Thanks all for the comments. Give ya some rep if I can.

I'll send out a group chat message saying I want a goalie for my picks or something along those lines. Give it a few weeks and see if anyone bites. I do find it frustrating to hear people won't trade with me because I've won too much, like this is a board game where there's one winner and everyone else loses lol. Trading their players for my picks is a win for us both.

Glad to hear everyone say do what's best for my team and not the league!
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule_91 View Post
    Thanks all for the comments. Give ya some rep if I can.

I'll send out a group chat message saying I want a goalie for my picks or something along those lines. Give it a few weeks and see if anyone bites. I do find it frustrating to hear people won't trade with me because I've won too much, like this is a board game where there's one winner and everyone else loses lol. Trading their players for my picks is a win for us both.

Glad to hear everyone say do what's best for my team and not the league!
    Sometimes making one trade that you clearly 'lose' is enough to perk up the interest of other teams and get the ball rolling negotiations.

I'm not saying move Makar for Petry, but something that's isn't too detrimental to your longer term goals.

Sell a clearly over achieving non-keeper player for a prospect or pick that's a bit less than the normal price and all of sudden the rest of the league says 'oh hey he's open for business, better get in there before I miss out.'

Then you're able to start making real negotiations, once you've got the nibble it's easier to get them on the hook and reel them in.

At least that's how it is in my league.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not distasteful at all.

The ONLY thing that is distasteful is making a trade which is outright collusion, or "implied collusion" that is you make a trade knowing it will not help your team but you do not care and are trying to "stick it" to other teams in the league.
    Just because you are in a playoff spot does not mean you are a contender or a "buyer" you can be a seller.
    If you are 5-7th and can make a trade that "almost guarantees a win" next season that is a shoe-in.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Wizard

i don't think its distasteful but i don't understand how trading players for picks (im assuming trading for good picks means trading good players) will guarantee you will win next year...

how many do you keep?
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i don't think its distasteful but i don't understand how trading players for picks (im assuming trading for good picks means trading good players) will guarantee you will win next year...

how many do you keep?
    The idea would be trading guys like Matthews and Miller for a 1st, maybe Bouch and Connor for as high a pick I can get, etc.

Our keepers are very specific and more for depth. It’s round drafted+3 and that’s the round you pay next draft to keep them. Can only keep 3 players and 1 goalie max. So I can keep Dobson, who I drafted round 9, but he’ll cost next season’s 6th round pick if I do that. So no one taken in the top 3 rounds can be kept and a 4th rounder costs a 1st so… mostly for depth keepers.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule_91 View Post
    The idea would be trading guys like Matthews and Miller for a 1st, maybe Bouch and Connor for as high a pick I can get, etc.

Our keepers are very specific and more for depth. It’s round drafted+3 and that’s the round you pay next draft to keep them. Can only keep 3 players and 1 goalie max. So I can keep Dobson, who I drafted round 9, but he’ll cost next season’s 6th round pick if I do that. So no one taken in the top 3 rounds can be kept and a 4th rounder costs a 1st so… mostly for depth keepers.
    I have a very similar league to yours.
    Most really enjoy it because you can turnover QUICK, but also their is incentive for trades between parties (Go for it or stock up on picks).
    Trading McDavid this year (to a contender) for a top pick next year (for trading team) is a win-win and makes perfect sense. The rules are designed to see these types of trades.
    Do it and maximize McDavid's value.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I have a very similar league to yours.
    Most really enjoy it because you can turnover QUICK, but also their is incentive for trades between parties (Go for it or stock up on picks).
    Trading McDavid this year (to a contender) for a top pick next year (for trading team) is a win-win and makes perfect sense. The rules are designed to see these types of trades.
    Do it and maximize McDavid's value.
    It’s certainly interesting compared to the usual dynasty or just keep any X amount of players without any cost.

Question for you all, if anyone stumbles back in here by chance.

I sent someone Matthews and Bouch plus my 11th and 13th round picks for their 1st and 3rd round picks. Counter offer is those two players plus my 11th for their 1st round pick. Considering these players can’t be kept and are rentals, I’m trying to keep my expectations in check. Is this worth kicking off my collapse or should I want more?

For reference, a similar trade happened to be McDavid, M Rielly, 10th and 11th for Eichel, 1st, and 9th.

Due to this deal I think I should be able to squeeze out a bit better of a return. He did say he’ll haggle on the picks but doesn’t want to give up that 3rd.

Dobber Sports Star

If the assets aren't going to deliver a title or high placement, then best not to lose them. The McDavid deal seems in the ballpark, although it seems you can get a little more than the 1st and 3rd.

Dobber Sports Genius

Before blowing it up, I would look at wildly overpaying for a goalie.

You have identified the issues:

1. Need goalie
    2. Hard to trade for goalie.

You only need one corrective action, it is just going to be far more expensive than what you want it to be. If you can get over that mental hurdle of price, the rest should solve itself. If you win the league multiple times over you must be a good GM who makes smart decisions. People don't like trading with you as they often lose the trade. For today, lose the battle (trade), win the war (league - now that you have goalie depth).
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"