Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [EXTENSION] Nylander gets 8yrs

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [EXTENSION] Nylander gets 8yrs

The reason their stars are all forwards is due to their drafting and developing. In the past 20 years, the Leafs have drafted three Dmen with their first pick in the draft. Three. Sandin, Reilly and Luke Schenn. They're their own worst enemy. They've created this monster and can't fix their own issue. Management clearly isn't too worried about the backend or they'd invest in it through the draft.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The reason their stars are all forwards is due to their drafting and developing. In the past 20 years, the Leafs have drafted three Dmen with their first pick in the draft. Three. Sandin, Reilly and Luke Schenn. They're their own worst enemy. They've created this monster and can't fix their own issue. Management clearly isn't too worried about the backend or they'd invest in it through the draft.
    Liljegren (17th overall in 2017) as well. And ya, they are clearly drafting players with the goal that they can piece together the backend and use their forwards to help D. Prolly has something to do with certainty of hitting on the draft pick. But they did pick defensemen with half of their 1st round picks the last 6yrs (2, and both are NHLers). But not investing in the D is likely to do with even when the player is NHL ready, the Leafs window is likely closed now. Where someone like Knies, or Cowan is being a productive NHLer quicker.

NHL cap era is picking your poison on what you're weak at. Rightly or wrongly, the Leafs have clearly picked theirs and it's resulted in 6th in point percentage the last 8yrs, and 2nd in goals during that time (which is something I didn't actually know)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Liljegren (17th overall in 2017) as well. And ya, they are clearly drafting players with the goal that they can piece together the backend and use their forwards to help D. Prolly has something to do with certainty of hitting on the draft pick. But they did pick defensemen with half of their 1st round picks the last 6yrs (2, and both are NHLers). But not investing in the D is likely to do with even when the player is NHL ready, the Leafs window is likely closed now. Where someone like Knies, or Cowan is being a productive NHLer quicker.

NHL cap era is picking your poison on what you're weak at. Rightly or wrongly, the Leafs have clearly picked theirs and it's resulted in 6th in point percentage the last 8yrs, and 2nd in goals during that time (which is something I didn't actually know)
    And one playoff round win, which is really the end goal, but I don't have to tell you that.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't know as a Canucks fan seeing the Canucks pick a D out of need (juolevi) and him being a bust, I think most will tell you always go with the best player available in the 1st round. Draft out of need in the later rounds.

I think Marner needs to be traded with signing, I just don't know how logistically that looks.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I don't know as a Canucks fan seeing the Canucks pick a D out of need (juolevi) and him being a bust, I think most will tell you always go with the best player available in the 1st round. Draft out of need in the later rounds.

I think Marner needs to be traded with signing, I just don't know how logistically that looks.
    Maybe it was the development that was the bust and not the pick

Dobber Sports All-Star

JT and Marner coming up after next year. JT has to take a Bergeron friendly deal or let him walk. What’s Marner going to want? Goalie carousels will continue and bland D cores galore awaits. I like Nylander because he at least shows up in the spring.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    JT and Marner coming up after next year. JT has to take a Bergeron friendly deal or let him walk. What’s Marner going to want? Goalie carousels will continue and bland D cores galore awaits. I like Nylander because he at least shows up in the spring.
    More like what’s Marner’s douchebag dad going to want:

https://theleafsnation.com/news/amp/...-of-enthusiasm

I think the Leafs had absolutely no choice to pay Willie the big bucks, but it’s pretty clear it’s going to come at the expense of losing Marner. The smartest thing to do is trade him before he ever comes close to free agency. They’ll get a huge haul for him.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Titan

If you know Tavares is signing a cheap deal, you can get the 4 back under the cap% they are currently at.

With the projected cap of $92.5m in 2025-26 this could be the breakdown of the top 4:
    Matthews = $13.25m
    Marner = $12m (hypothetical)
    Nylander = $11.5m
    Tavares = $6m (hypothetical)
    Total = $42.75m, or 46.2% of the projected cap. This season they make up 48.5% of the cap.

48.5% of $92.5m cap is $44,862,500. So they have $20,112,500 to sign Marner and Tavares to run it back again.

To note, the second Dubas made it public he was thinking of trading one of the 4, boom gone (along with other circumstances). Seems like it's driven by Shanahan to keep the guys together.

Also, Marner currently makes 93.67% of Matthews deal, and that would be the equivalent of $12.4m extension in 2025, that's why I picked $12m quickly.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    More like what’s Marner’s douchebag dad going to want:

https://theleafsnation.com/news/amp/...-of-enthusiasm

I think the Leafs had absolutely no choice to pay Willie the big bucks, but it’s pretty clear it’s going to come at the expense of losing Marner. The smartest thing to do is trade him before he ever comes close to free agency. They’ll get a huge haul for him.
    If Marner agrees. He has a NTC as of this past July
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If you know Tavares is signing a cheap deal, you can get the 4 back under the cap% they are currently at.

With the projected cap of $92.5m in 2025-26 this could be the breakdown of the top 4:
    Matthews = $13.25m
    Marner = $12m (hypothetical)
    Nylander = $11.5m
    Tavares = $6m (hypothetical)
    Total = $42.75m, or 46.2% of the projected cap. This season they make up 48.5% of the cap.

48.5% of $92.5m cap is $44,862,500. So they have $20,112,500 to sign Marner and Tavares to run it back again.

To note, the second Dubas made it public he was thinking of trading one of the 4, boom gone (along with other circumstances). Seems like it's driven by Shanahan to keep the guys together.

Also, Marner currently makes 93.67% of Matthews deal, and that would be the equivalent of $12.4m extension in 2025, that's why I picked $12m quickly.
    Should they run it back though? Maybe keep the big three and get rid of Tavares, his cap needs to be used on the back end. I am not as down on the Leafs as everyone else though. I feel like if they get consistent goaltending, look at the Oilers, then there still top 10 maybe top 5 in the league and a cup contender with their current squad.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Should they run it back though? Maybe keep the big three and get rid of Tavares, his cap needs to be used on the back end. I am not as down on the Leafs as everyone else though. I feel like if they get consistent goaltending, look at the Oilers, then there still top 10 maybe top 5 in the league and a cup contender with their current squad.
    I'm under the impression the Leafs organization is more comfortable spending on well known assets than trying other things.

$5-6m on Tavares could be better than spending $4.5m on a D-man like Graves. And I'm sure that would be closer to what JT would be offered from Toronto.

Not saying it's right or wrong. But it really seems like they rather spend $1m more than they prefer on sure things and skimp on the filler pieces and hope to hit on Benoit, Gregor, Bunting, Gio, Timmins, Spezza, and Kampf (deal #1, not the current one). Then fix the problems mid-season via trades for the playoffs.

I also think the more the cap goes up, the top players will get the raises and the middle/bottom guys will get the short end here, just like the normal world.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    If Marner agrees. He has a NTC as of this past July
    Good point. But if I was Marner, I would seriously consider getting the hell out of Toronto and going to a market that’s not half as intense. It would probably do wonders for his career and certainly for his sanity. He’s a great player, but he doesn’t have the shake it off mental approach that Matthews, Nylander, and even Tavares have, which makes playing in the city and dealing with the crazy media pressure very tough for him, especially during the playoffs. you only had to watch that cringe TV series the year they lost to the Habs and all those uncomfortable shots of him, including with Keefe and Dubas trying to build his confidence…

Plus, it’s not like he’d be going nowhere, I imagine with his NTC he could demand to go somewhere where he’d have high end talent surrounding him, like Chicago…

And there’s a nice little side benefit, maybe the kid could benefit from playing in a city 500+ miles away from dad… I read somewhere that Marner’s parents go to every game and talk to him before and after every game, I don’t want crap anymore on this family, but it’s very clear we’re not talking about a stable father here, so I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't really mind this move at all for the Leafs.
    The standard of big NHL contracts should include your 4 key PP forwards... who also play in tandems top two lines and tandems first two OT pairs.
    The tough part - as all Leaf (& hockey people know) - is that they still need a bonafide top shut down D pairing and a trustable goalie.
    Because Reilly is good offensively... (and pretty solid defensively)...

I think they are close.
    The juggernauts of the old east are falling/aging (PIT, WAS, BOS, TB)...
    The new risers in the East are not THAT impressive IMO (CAR, NYR)

The Leafs are in a sweet spot in "East taking" period...
    And I think it all depends on whether they can compete with the stockpile that is New Jersey.

Thumbs up signing, from me.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I don't really mind this move at all for the Leafs.
    The standard of big NHL contracts should include your 4 key PP forwards... who also play in tandems top two lines and tandems first two OT pairs.
    The tough part - as all Leaf (& hockey people know) - is that they still need a bonafide top shut down D pairing and a trustable goalie.
    Because Reilly is good offensively... (and pretty solid defensively)...

I think they are close.
    The juggernauts of the old east are falling/aging (PIT, WAS, BOS, TB)...
    The new risers in the East are not THAT impressive IMO (CAR, NYR)

The Leafs are in a sweet spot in "East taking" period...
    And I think it all depends on whether they can compete with the stockpile that is New Jersey.

Thumbs up signing, from me.
    The Florida Panthers are an interesting juggernaut to compare to the Leafs here (same division). They are sitting in a similarly favourable situation age-wise for their core and have the big two signed on more favourable cap deals than Toronto. They have their own albatross with Bob at $10M, but at least they know he can be the guy come playoff time (if healthy and rested). Will be interesting to see if/how Nylander's number affects Reinhart (same draft class) in the midst of his own dazzling contract year.

Florida also has some big time contracts to sort out on the back end.

I wonder if all the financial and geographical advantages of Florida don't give them a continued edge if this is a rivalry we see over the next few seasons.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg