Thread: PWHL - Shorthanded Goal Rule

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default PWHL - Shorthanded Goal Rule

The PWHL has a different rule that is quite interesting.

One big one: a shorthanded goal ends a penalty. That’s right – a team that gives up a shorty will also lose the remaining time on the man advantage, under Rule 16.2.

I doubt that this rule will change the way teams kill penalties for the most part.
    I think the coaches and players will still kill penalties pretty defensively.

But wow, the momentum that could be obtained from scoring a shorthanded goal early in a penalty - kill.

Especially if this rule applies form 5 minute majors?
    I am going to guess that it doesn't apply for 5 minute majors.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: PWHL - Shorthanded Goal Rule

I like the rule, I also think it's smart to change a few small rules in this league. It's a great tester.

They should include "You can take a Penalty Shot or PP" rule if there's a Penalty Shot awarded.

In terms of strategy for the PK unit, you could see it effect the PK in the final 2min of a game when the PK team is losing. In this situation, why not run a 3F/1D PK unit? However, you might not see the strategy effects of the rule this yr take full effect.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like this tweak for a new league. What a momentum swing for a game that will be. A SHG is already big but this is even bigger.

Another thing the PWHL has done, which I LOVE is using the 3-2-1-0 point system.
    This makes SO MUCH sense for a league with 3-on-3 OT and Shootouts and I wish the NHL would adopt it.

Also, this is the first Women's hockey to allow body-checking, which I think is a good idea. Make it the same physical game as the Man's game.

https://fansided.com/posts/pwhl-rules-nhl-explained

I have only watched a little of the games but have been impressed with the actions so far. I am skeptical if the league will be able to succeed long-term but do hope it does
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

The not being allowed to hit never made sense to me, but it was a systemic thing where at no level there was hitting in female hockey. They should make hitting legal the same age as the boys in hockey.

The next thing was full face guards was put in because teams/leagues didn't have proper medical staff involved at the games originally. They also didn't have medical/dental insurance originally, then when it did get upgraded to having insurance, it wasn't a lot. So players opted to not legalize visors (according to a female Canadian player a few yrs ago), but in this league there should have enough in place to allow players to wear visors if they choose.

So I think they should be doing everything to push that the league is a professional league and that includes optics to fans. Allow visors. You might not have many opt in, but you can use the ones that do as marketing opportunities.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll