Thread: 2024 All-Stars - 1 per team this year

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default 2024 All-Stars - 1 per team this year

The NHL is going back to the "every team gets an All-Star" Format and will be announcing 32 All-Stars (1 per team) tomorrow
    the final 12 players (assuming 6 per Conference) will be voted on by fans.

I stopped caring about ASG's long ago but this is not a better format than having the "best" group of players (even if a team sends no one). There are going to be some really good players getting snubbed.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nhl-to-announ...sday-1.2056759

My Best Guess on the 6 West "Extras":
    -Leon (McDavid)
    -Rantanen and Makar (MacKinnon)
    - Miller and Petterson (Q. Hughes)

then 1 of:
    - Demko?
    - Forsberg/Josi
    - Kopitar (Talbot)
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2024 All-Stars - 1 per team this year

Ya I can't say I ever thought an ASG should include every team in the game, but if there's someone on SJS that wants to be included in the skills comp, that's fine.

From Toronto (Host city), you won't get all 3 of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander and it'll be Marner who gets snubbed who has been to 2 ASGs and been on 2 1st NHL All Star Teams. So like Fantilli will end up getting in over Marner...which could be good?

So for Winnipeg, who's 3rd in the West won't have Helly, Schiefele, and Morrissey there.

Tampa won't have Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, and Point.

But you could also say that there's going to be negotiation around the teams on vets not wanting to even go. It's Toronto, it's not Nashville or Vegas. So a guy like Josi or MacKinnon, or Makar could be like "I rather have the week off in Mexico than go to Toronto". Which might work itself out.

I think the idea of inviting 1 player from every team stems from in the 90s when it was harder to see other teams games, so you could market a SJS in Toronto to show "look at this guy you never see". But that's so old thinking, but on track for the NHL.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Not an all-star game.
    Disappointing.
    Wish it was a true all-star game.

Is the NHL selling this as a game expansion idea?
    That as long as there is one player from each team - that is what is best for expanding the game?

Is a potential new fan from San Jose going to watch the game just because there is one San Jose player in the game?

Then is that potential new fan going to fall in love with the game because of the product that is presented at the all-start game?
    - I would likely think not, because the all-star game is like a glorifid shinny game with lots of scoring.
    If the potential fan falls in love with hockey because of the all-star game, how dissapointed are they gonna be when they go to watch a Sharks game and there is 10 skaters on the ice for the majority of the game as opposed to six.

Dobber Sports Deity

I watch the skills competition but rarely watch the All Star game. I dont really watch any of the main sports all star games to be honest.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I watch the skills competition but rarely watch the All Star game. I dont really watch any of the main sports all star games to be honest.
    this is me as well.

The skills competition is fun to watch.

Every year when I am watching it I think about how it would be cool if it was a true skills competition
    And not just a skills competition for those players in the All-Star Game.

My thinking (and in saying all this - I know it can't happen cause the NHL season is already busy enough)

1) Every team has there own skill compeition and gets to send 1 player for each event.
    2) Through the Day on Saturday of All-Star weekend, there is a divisional skill competition where the representative for each division compete.
    3) Each division gets two representative for each skill at the Saturday night skills competition. This is the one that is televised for viewers.

Then we would get to see who the fastest players are in the whole NHL... not just the fastest all-stars.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    this is me as well.

Every year when I am watching it I think about how it would be cool if it was a true skills competition

My thinking (and in saying all this - I know it can't happen cause the NHL season is already busy enough)

1) Every team has there own skill compeition and gets to send 1 player for each event.
    2) Through the Day on Saturday of All-Star weekend, there is a divisional skill competition where the representative for each division compete.
    3) Each division gets two representative for each skill at the Saturday night skills competition. This is the one that is televised for viewers.

Then we would get to see who the fastest players are in the whole NHL... not just the fastest all-stars.
    I don't know if they still have this, but the teams used to have their own skills comp you could pay to go watch. They did this instead of a practice. I remember going as a kid. I don't think they still do this, but you can work it in easily.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There's no such thing as an all-star snub. It's a silly made up game that nobody including the players care about that is an event for kids to watch and to entertain sponsors. It does not matter who goes and who doesn't, and half the players who are there don't want to be.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    this is me as well.

Yeah this would be fun, and teams have certainly had their own skills competitions in previous years. The Oilers Skills Competition is tonight! and it is sold out (scummy scalper tickets are available)
    I distinctly remember going to the Oilers Skills Competition on a few occasions as a kid and it as great fun.
    The skills competition is the best part because you get to see high end skills and it is easy for the players to "care" for a minute or two. It is also nice to see the younger and more outgoing players miced up and interacting.

I am intrigued by this year's "Hockey Decathlon" so will tune in for that at least.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR