Thread: Leafs put Samsonov on waivers

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Leafs put Samsonov on waivers

Samsonov on waivers….Wonder if Woll is ready to go, seems he was out until February….
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Leafs put Samsonov on waivers

Good for Samsonov to get some AHL games in to build confidence. If he goes down the same route as Campbell and falters.. So be it as he wouldn't have been part of the plan next season anyway.

I do wonder if there's a slight likelihood that he gets picked up (maybe at reentry). Teams like NJ and SJ can use a G.

Dobber Sports Monster

Don't think Woll is close, just need to get Samsonov some play time at the AHL level for a while. Hildeby might make his NHL debut this week.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Don't think Woll is close, just need to get Samsonov some play time at the AHL level for a while. Hildeby might make his NHL debut this week.
    Hildeby has looked great this year. If he can get the call up this week, he has a good opportunity.

Dobber Sports All-Star

They should put Keefe on waivers.

Dobber Sports Monster

Not a surprise, but Samsonov has cleared waivers.

Dobber Sports Titan

It's also been said Samsonov actually won't report to the Marlies. He'll work on the side to get his mind right and work on things. Which is probably the better plan as we saw what has happened with Campbell. If he doesn't do well in the AHL, he's done. And an "NHL Goalie" in the AHL has not worked in the past as things are moving at different speeds.

I always guessed Woll would be back end of January, beginning of February just based off their schedule.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's also been said Samsonov actually won't report to the Marlies. He'll work on the side to get his mind right and work on things. Which is probably the better plan as we saw what has happened with Campbell. If he doesn't do well in the AHL, he's done. And an "NHL Goalie" in the AHL has not worked in the past as things are moving at different speeds.

I always guessed Woll would be back end of January, beginning of February just based off their schedule.
    I read he's reporting but not actually going to be dressing/playing this week. As you said, to work on his mental state, but his next start, whenever it will be, will be in the AHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I read he's reporting but not actually going to be dressing/playing this week. As you said, to work on his mental state, but his next start, whenever it will be, will be in the AHL.
    I thought I saw he wasn't going to be ever around the Marlies. Hmmm.

I just looked into it, I took the "no plans for him to play in games for the Marlies this week" as "no plans for him to play for the Marlies". Whoops.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

He can do all the mental stuff he wants off the ice, but until he starts stopping the puck again, no matter where it is, his mental state won't improve. That's what he needs; to feel the puck and be comfortable stopping it again. Square to the shooter, strong angle position, quiet feet, let the puck find you instead of you looking for it. Those are some of the basic things every goalie tells themselves in the net during the game. I dont know what he's not doing but he's missing something and you can see it in his game. I always remember the Nik Khabibulin interview when someone asked him about stopping the puck and his reply was "play like wall". Sounds easy but clearly, it's not that simple.

As Campbell has found out, just because you're playing at a level lower than the NHL, it doesn't mean you're better than they are. You still need to do the basics. I like both Campbell and Samsonov and think both are good goalies. They are just beating themselves more than the shooters are beating them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He can do all the mental stuff he wants off the ice, but until he starts stopping the puck again, no matter where it is, his mental state won't improve. That's what he needs; to feel the puck and be comfortable stopping it again. Square to the shooter, strong angle position, quiet feet, let the puck find you instead of you looking for it. Those are some of the basic things every goalie tells themselves in the net during the game. I dont know what he's not doing but he's missing something and you can see it in his game. I always remember the Nik Khabibulin interview when someone asked him about stopping the puck and his reply was "play like wall". Sounds easy but clearly, it's not that simple.

As Campbell has found out, just because you're playing at a level lower than the NHL, it doesn't mean you're better than they are. You still need to do the basics. I like both Campbell and Samsonov and think both are good goalies. They are just beating themselves more than the shooters are beating them.
    Excellent insight from a goalie perspective. Once an athlete has lot confidence and the negative self talk takes over, it’s a mental battle.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson