Thread: Brandon Montour - What's Up With Him?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Brandon Montour - What's Up With Him?

Just curious if anyone has insight into what is wrong with Montour thus far. I took a peak at his advanced stats, and aside from his PDO being a little on the low side, nothing else seems out-of-whack. He's played 18 games this season, so I feel like we're past the point where the time missed due to injury can be used as an excuse. Are better days on the horizon or is he simply regressing back into the player he always was prior to last season?

If there's any silver lining, its not like the other Florida d-men (Ekblad, Forsling, OEL) are really lighting it up either, so it could just be a team-wide issue with the defensemen not being as involved in the offense.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Brandon Montour - What's Up With Him?

What you do with Monty will likely be determined by your position in the standings and status of your keepers. If you’re doing well, then I’d advise to ride it out and see if he turns it around. If you’re out of it you may want to try to move him for a pick or two and/or a promising younger guy thinking of the future.

Florida is sitting at 26th in goals League wide, and 20th powerplay. So the team hasn’t been winning with offense, but they’re still winning. Hopefully the offense side clicks for the entire team and Montour benefits and can have a strong last 40-50 games. Personally I’m holding him, and if I were in a league where someone drops him I’d use my waiver priority to pick him up.
    ESPN H2H 12-Team Keep 10 (max 2 goalies) - 24 Player roster - Start 9 F, 6 D, 2 G,7 BN, 1 IR
    G A PIM STP SOG FW HIT BLK | W SV SV% SO

F: Robertson, Eichel, Trocheck, Rust, Bratt, Malkin, Boldy, Danault, Zacha, Bennett, Nishuskin
    D: Dahlin, Montour, Gudas, Harley,
    G: Jarry, Bobrovsky, Daccord, Grubauer
    IR: Eriksson Ek

Yahoo H2H Keep 14 - 26 player roster - Start 10 F, 5 D, 2 G, 9 BN, 1 IR, 1 IR+
    G A PIM PPP SOG FOW HIT | W SV SV% SO

F: Robertson, Barkov, MacKinnon, DeBrincat, Batherson, Kyrou, Caufield, Lafreniere, Tippett, Dubois
    D: Josi, Nurse, Trouba, Montour, Larsson
    G: Shesterkin, Oettinger, Grubauer, DeSmith
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BooBird View Post
    Just curious if anyone has insight into what is wrong with Montour thus far. I took a peak at his advanced stats, and aside from his PDO being a little on the low side, nothing else seems out-of-whack. He's played 18 games this season, so I feel like we're past the point where the time missed due to injury can be used as an excuse. Are better days on the horizon or is he simply regressing back into the player he always was prior to last season?

If there's any silver lining, its not like the other Florida d-men (Ekblad, Forsling, OEL) are really lighting it up either, so it could just be a team-wide issue with the defensemen not being as involved in the offense.
    What is happening is that he is somewhat back to normal and he was a “super hero” last year. You can maybe expect slight improvement once he is fully up to speed after his injury but expecting 60 point pace is unrealistic.

Over his carrier he has been a serviceable D for fantasy purpose but never a stud until last year. Last year was an anomaly not a norm imo.

Dobber Sports Jedi

players return from injury when they are cleared to do so, not 100% healed - that's part of it.

8th NHL season, only one over 50pts - that's another part of it.

likely won't see the real Montour until 2024-25, whichever one that is.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    What is happening is that he is somewhat back to normal and he was a “super hero” last year. You can maybe expect slight improvement once he is fully up to speed after his injury but expecting 60 point pace is unrealistic.

Over his carrier he has been a serviceable D for fantasy purpose but never a stud until last year. Last year was an anomaly not a norm imo.
    Last year was the first time he was getting prime deployment for a good team, so I beleive he is more than a serviceable D but I agree that he is not a lock for 60+ points every years, especially if he sign elsewhere Florida.
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Bobrovsky
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Brisson, Rosen

Administrator

This one is easy. His production this year is close to every other year in his career if you exclude last year. His ice time is up from most of his career but that's easily offset by the fact he's coming off an injury that cut into this season. He's probably not 100% in terms of strength and conditioning.

I think he'll be better in the 2nd half if he can remain on PP1, but nothing close to last year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This one is easy. His production this year is close to every other year in his career if you exclude last year. His ice time is up from most of his career but that's easily offset by the fact he's coming off an injury that cut into this season. He's probably not 100% in terms of strength and conditioning.

I think he'll be better in the 2nd half if he can remain on PP1, but nothing close to last year.
    100% agree
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    100% agree
    Ya.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Icon

Montour update

Last 15 games: 3G 7A (55-pt pace), 6 PPPs (27 pace), +3, 49SOG (268 pace), 21 Blks, 16 Hits

And 6 pts in last 4.

That’s more like it!

I think a 50-pt pace ROS is a very reasonable assumption, with him finally getting back up to speed after the injury. And key is Maurice still entrusting him with top pair TOI and PP1 locked in.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Montour update

Last 15 games: 3G 7A (55-pt pace), 6 PPPs (27 pace), +3, 49SOG (268 pace), 21 Blks, 16 Hits

And 6 pts in last 4.

That’s more like it!

I think a 50-pt pace ROS is a very reasonable assumption, with him finally getting back up to speed after the injury. And key is Maurice still entrusting him with top pair TOI and PP1 locked in.
    So sir what would his value be for trading for him in a dynasty cats league? Would you offer up a 1st rounder and a prospect?
    18 Team H2H, 24 team roster with 21 active, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 1Skt, 10IR, 20 Prospects with 100/50goalie games before pro.
    Cats: G, A, TP, H, BL, SH, W, Saves, S%
    F: Lowry, McDavid, Zibanejad, Hyman, Kucherov, Stamkos, Lafreniere, Tolvanen, Tuch , Jenner, Kent Johnson, Foegele, Tucker, Vatrano, Rust
    D: M. Anderson, Lindell, Ristolainen, Trouba, Oleksiak
    G: Kuemper, Vasilevskiy, Hart
    Prospects: (G) Askarov, Barlow, Howard, Ohgren, Stranges, Kemell, Morozov, (D) Duda, (D) Hutson

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegoat_Dangler View Post
    So sir what would his value be for trading for him in a dynasty cats league? Would you offer up a 1st rounder and a prospect?
    Well just to give you an idea, in my keeper in sig, I gave up Couturier and Marchessault to acquire him (plus he gave me a late pick swap).

He’s worth a 1st in most leagues I think - I’d value him as a 55-point guy with high SOG volume and potential for 25+ PPPs every year.

Of course that’s assuming he stays in Sunrise - on another team it would totally depend on whether they give him a similar role.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

Montour update - last 7 games:

4G 9A +3 23 SOG, with 7 PPPs

He’s up to a 46-pt pace despite that abysmal start.

Congrats HODLers and BUYLOWers!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Buy low window just closed
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Immortal

Hopefully everyone held on.